Aldeer.com

Turnips

Posted By: toothdoc

Turnips - 11/17/17 03:53 PM

Too late for turnips? I have about 8lb of turnip seed. I'm thinking of throwing a few handfuls out top seeded.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Turnips - 11/17/17 06:06 PM

Might be up there. I planted some about a month ago here and they seem to be struggling a bit. May have a mess around December.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Turnips - 11/17/17 08:07 PM

If you already have them, it won't hurt to throw them out.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Turnips - 11/17/17 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
If you already have them, it won't hurt to throw them out.

I agree.

Re: Turnips - 11/18/17 05:40 PM

I have never seen deer in my turnip patch. they will eat everything else in the garden but not turnips.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Turnips - 11/18/17 06:43 PM

They mow mine to the dirt with vengeance.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Turnips - 11/18/17 09:16 PM

They haven't hammered mine yet but it's coming

Re: Turnips - 11/19/17 08:36 AM

Might be to much corn out right now.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Turnips - 11/19/17 07:58 PM

Dont do it. We did the turnips one year and it didnt really do anything that rye grass wouldnt as far as deer are concerned. But it made a green-field into a mess. It was like walking on bowling balls, and you could barely drive a truck through it.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Turnips - 11/19/17 10:21 PM

It is funny how deer in different areas tend to not feed on some things. I've seen plots of Brassicas that were pretty and the deer had not eat a bite.

Re: Turnips - 11/20/17 08:57 AM

We had a place in Highland Home and the deer didn't know what purple hull peas were. Best looking pea patch I ever had. Purple as it could be. It didn't take them long to figure it out though. We picked two times and got all we could stand. Didn't go back for a week and you could see where they were starting to nibble on the peas. Next week they where gone. They became educated on peas then.
Posted By: toothdoc

Re: Turnips - 11/20/17 09:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
Dont do it. We did the turnips one year and it didnt really do anything that rye grass wouldnt as far as deer are concerned. But it made a green-field into a mess. It was like walking on bowling balls, and you could barely drive a truck through it.
Didnt that aerate the soil though?
Posted By: William

Re: Turnips - 11/20/17 11:00 AM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc
Didnt that aerate the soil though?

Exactly why I have mine planted.
Posted By: mman

Re: Turnips - 11/28/17 01:41 PM

Our turnips (mixed with radishes, sugar beets, and some other brassicas) are growing fast and big and the deer have been hammering them since they first started to grow, even before any frost. I watched a small buck feed for 45 minutes in one field, switching back and forth from wheat/oats to the broadleaf plants. I watched a doe in another field with scattered brassicas go from plant to plant and smell them to decide if she wanted to eat them or not.

Ours really grew fast. I guess it wouldn't hurt to try and plant some late.
Posted By: Cousneddy

Re: Turnips - 11/28/17 02:03 PM

We planted some last year and the deer wouldn't touch them. I pulled some out of the ground and sliced them up for them, still wouldn't touch em.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Turnips - 11/28/17 04:28 PM

They don't usually hit ours till it gets really cold.
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Turnips - 12/02/17 11:32 PM

I've had deer on the same property hit deer in one part of the club but not another. I have had deer not eat brassicas for a year then hit them the next. I have had them pick out radishes and leave turnips and vice versa. There are benefits to the soil even if the deer leave them alone, so I keep using them. I just try to not plant in the same field more than two years. There are some diseases that get them if you continually plant brassica on the same spot.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM