Aldeer.com

"Weeds"

Posted By: blahblahblah

"Weeds" - 09/20/17 06:53 PM

Are there any "weeds" that you are ok with being in your food plot? Green Brier, honey suckle, morning glory, dewberry, sweet tea?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: "Weeds" - 09/20/17 08:39 PM

There were several i left this summer the deer were eating pretty decent.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: "Weeds" - 09/20/17 08:42 PM

I don't worry about weeds in my cool season plots
Posted By: blumsden

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 07:25 AM

The only weeds that bother me, is dog fennel and I forget the name of the other one. It has the little yellow pumpkins on it with bean looking pods. Dog fennel makes a heck of a good screen, but I don't want it in the plot.
Posted By: k bush

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 08:52 AM

They eat verbena (may be vervain, has a square stem and purple flowers) and ragweed pretty good down here.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 11:40 AM

I know the plant your talking about kbush, but don't think that's the name. CNC knows the name he has it too. They love it.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
The only weeds that bother me, is dog fennel and I forget the name of the other one. It has the little yellow pumpkins on it with bean looking pods. Dog fennel makes a heck of a good screen, but I don't want it in the plot.

Sicklepod maybe. Stuff is bad news. Nothing eats it, and it can stay dormant in the seed bed for many many years,decades even; you till up a spot thinking it'll be the perfect plot,and next thing you know,it's covered up in sicklepod and it chokes out everything with nutritional value

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 09:13 PM

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=VEBR2

Re: "Weeds" - 09/21/17 09:19 PM

Ive also seen doves hammering wooly croton in old fields and clear cuts. Another good dove weed is three seeded mercury (think thats it)

Seen deer browse the three seeded mercury as well. Pokeweed gets hit hard by the deer too.
Posted By: Out back

Re: "Weeds" - 09/22/17 06:20 AM

I hate wild turnips, onions and nutgrass. I'm not too concerned with anything else.

Re: "Weeds" - 09/22/17 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By: Out back
I hate wild turnips, onions and nutgrass. I'm not too concerned with anything else.

Nutgrass especially if you have wild hogs. That's what usually cause them to rototill my fields. I have seen deer eat wild turnips in really cold weather especially if they have been fertilized.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM