Aldeer.com

Trophy Rock Grow

Posted By: Joe4majors

Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 12:48 PM

Trophy Rock Grow is a new product from Trophy Rock that is to be spread onto a plot just like you would fertilizer.

I've thought about doing this with their FOUR 65 (crushed Trophy Rock). Would have been a relatively cheap experiment for a single acre, but never got around to doing it. Looks like they are coming out with a plot additive to try to get the trace elements to deer in areas where mineral sites have been banned (CWD). Fast-forward to about the 5-minute mark to see a little discussion about the product available January 1st. Yes, I know there are other sources for minerals that don't have a buck on the bag, but what do y'all think of the idea in general.

Posted By: blumsden

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 01:24 PM

Probably same thing as sea salt minerals.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 01:26 PM

Those "giant deer" people sit around the campfires in their 5,000 acre high fence pens and dream up ways to get your money.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Probably same thing as sea salt minerals.

Very true. How hard is it to find sea salt minerals? I don't believe I have seen it in person, but could be easy to find and I just haven't looked hard enough.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 09:10 PM

Redmond (which I believe is same company as Trophy Rock) has a bag of salt mineral product they recommend be broadcast in food plots. Plants are supposed to uptake the minerals and provide them to the deer. Salt on plants hasn't been one of the things usually done.

Why broadcast it instead of creating a lick out of it? Deer lick and eat dirt with minerals in it or eat plants with minerals in it. Where's the beneficial difference to counter the build up of salts in plot soil over time?

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit
Redmond (which I believe is same company as Trophy Rock) has a bag of salt mineral product they recommend be broadcast in food plots. Plants are supposed to uptake the minerals and provide them to the deer. Salt on plants hasn't been one of the things usually done.

Why broadcast it instead of creating a lick out of it? Deer lick and eat dirt with minerals in it or eat plants with minerals in it. Where's the beneficial difference to counter the build up of salts in plot soil over time?

You can't legally have mineral sites in some areas now, so this is plan B.

I also wondered if the salts would be enough to do more harm than good on a plot.

I have mineral sites and don't plan on changing that. Just brainstorming.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 09:32 PM

The statements on Redmonds website about putting their mineral on fields got me curious too. But the 93% salt thing gives me pause

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 09:41 PM

"Many other salts use chemical processes ( bleaching, kiln dried, or adding anti caking agents) that strip trace minerals from the salt. Without these minerals sodium chloride is a toxic substance but when left whole (with the valuable trace minerals intact) salt becomes life sustaining."
Redmond website

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 09:48 PM

Interesting, thanks.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/13/17 10:31 PM

No Way I'd spread salt on an area I wanted to grow stuff.

Thinking back to Western Civilization in college, I remember hearing about how the victors of a war would "salt the fields" of the losers to render their fields impotent and useless. Who knows.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 12:00 AM

Im confused. I thought that sodium bicarbonate ( salt) is a prime ingredient in killing plants?

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 06:18 AM

Sea 90 is designed to be spread on plots. I've spread some on mine. People dissolve it in water and spray it on their pastures and food plots. A guy up the road from me is a distributor and uses it on his farm, and swears by it. 50 lbs mixed with water does like 10 acres, or you use it dry at 50lbs/acre. Somebody on here uses it all the time, but I can't remember who.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 07:25 AM

It would have to be reall good for $50 a bag.
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 07:46 AM

Almost all your fertilizer is a type of salt. All life needs some salt to grow.

It's just different types of salt and different concentrations that affect the plants positively and negatively.

Sodium bicarbonate is a negative factor on plants in high concentrations. But not all salt is Sodium bicarbonate.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 08:33 AM

The Sea 90 is $30/bag.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 08:49 AM

Who carries the Sea 90 in Jacksonville?

I have only seen where you can get it online.

I think West Fl gator has used this.

He also composted his on tea which is more than I have the time or resources for.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 09:46 AM

John Lyons 256-282-3232. And yes, it was Westflgator.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/14/17 10:24 AM

There are 5 stores in Tuscaloosa alone that sell Trophy Rock. Maybe one of those will sell this new product once it is available in January. $30 per acre isn't terrible.
Posted By: jaredhunts

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/15/17 07:50 AM

I have plenty of salt for $9 a 40# bag. Quick dissolve to. Will mix real easy in water for your sprayer. Deer love it. If you are interested shoot me a pm and I will cut you in on this deal.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/15/17 03:59 PM

No legitimate study has ever shown that these mineral supplements will improve herd health or antler scores.

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/15/17 06:11 PM

I can't say whether any of this stuff makes a difference in herd health or antler size but I do know that they like some salt and minerals.

My trail cameras prove that fact.

The only way to prove it for yourself is to experiment. Spread it on half of a food plot and see if the deer have a preference.

For $30 I have wasted way more money than that on just about every hobby I have...lol

But like I said previously most fertilizers are made up of salt and trace minerals. If the plants are taking them up the deer are getting them.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/16/17 07:43 AM

Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
No legitimate study has ever shown that these mineral supplements will improve herd health or antler scores.

A fool and his money are soon parted...

Who said anything about increasing antler size and improving herd health?

Feel free to call me a fool for spending $20 on a maintenance-free attractant that brings multiple deer onto the property I hunt at some point every day for several months of the year.

There are plenty of people on here that have first hand experience with deer preferring plots, or portions of plots, that have been fertilized with basic macronutrients (N-P-K). I am game for a low-cost experiment to see if micronutrient addition makes any noticeable difference (health of plot, attraction to deer, etc.)
Posted By: CNC

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/16/17 07:45 AM

I would want to know more about this stuff before just throwing out blindly. What's it actually doing? Is the soil deficient in something it needs?

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/16/17 09:46 AM

I know WestFlgator, he lives about 5 miles from me. He has been using the Sea 90 stuff for several years. He uses no fertilizer and his food plots look dang good. I'll call him and get him to add to the thread. There is a distributor in NW Fl about 20 miles SW of Samson.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/16/17 12:00 PM

From the best I can tell so far…..the sea 90 is mostly a lot of trace elements and microbes. I’m betting that the addition of the microbes is what is making his fields look good. They play a huge role in the exchange of water and nutrients and our traditional methods of heavy tillage badly decreases their numbers.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/17/17 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: CNC
From the best I can tell so far…..the sea 90 is mostly a lot of trace elements and microbes. I’m betting that the addition of the microbes is what is making his fields look good. They play a huge role in the exchange of water and nutrients and our traditional methods of heavy tillage badly decreases their numbers.

Where are you seeing Sea 90 having microbes? All I have run across is the trace elements help to "re-mineralize the soil" and enhance microbes that are already in place.

As far as what is the soil deficient of, I would guess the standard soil test will not give you enough data to work with (no trace element data). Besides, I'd guess it's probably not readily available to know what trace elements benefit the wide variety of plants we plant in the fall.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/17/17 04:00 PM

I talked to WestFlgator and he said the Sea 90 was the main thing he has used for about 6 years. He limed a couple of years ago and he said if you can find pure cow milk that spraying a water/milk mixture at the 3 gal milk per acre rate would help with the microbes. I know his plots are real nice and he plants BFO's usually.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/17/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors

Where are you seeing Sea 90 having microbes? All I have run across is the trace elements help to "re-mineralize the soil" and enhance microbes that are already in place.

As far as what is the soil deficient of, I would guess the standard soil test will not give you enough data to work with (no trace element data). Besides, I'd guess it's probably not readily available to know what trace elements benefit the wide variety of plants we plant in the fall.

I ran across several statements like the one in this link…..I still don’t feel 100% sure though to be honest.

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/?item=8238

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/17/17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors

I ran across several statements like the one in this link…..I still don’t feel 100% sure though to be honest.

https://www.fedcoseeds.com/ogs/?item=8238

Yeah, I don't know either.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/17/17 08:44 PM

I use a " minors Foliar fertilizer" on a regular basis.

We almost always see a green up response from the grass even in stressful conditions.

I just wonder if you wouldn't see the same kind of response from this type of application.

A lot of these nutrients may already be in the soil but completely unavailable to the plants.

When you constantly have these nutrients in solution some will be available to the plants as long as your ph is in line.
Posted By: westflgator

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/18/17 04:25 PM

I would want to know more about this stuff before just throwing out blindly. What's it actually doing? Is the soil deficient in something it needs?

Yes, most soils are deficient. Soils need at least 52 minerals to be healthy (some say they need close to 100) and most folks are only putting back 3 or 4 of those. The minerals feed the microbes in the soil which then process these minerals and make them available for the plants to utilize. The raw milk is also a perfect food source for the microbes. Traditional farming as we know it is starting to swing back to what the old time farmers knew. They knew that if you wanted healthy crops then you need to feed the critters beneath the soil. CNC is on the right track by building up the soil through no-till type practices. Add the minerals and you will be ramping up your process 10 fold. Don't take my word for it there is plenty of research out there on this subject...However, as Timbercruiser pointed out it has worked very well for me, and it's very inexpensive compared to traditional practices. Here are a couple of videos that break down both of these principles. When you put them together they really compliment each other, No-till and Sea90. The one video also gets into what it means to raise your BRIX (soluble sugar content). The high sugar content along with the additional minerals is why the wildlife love the crops grown in this fashion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWXCLVCJWTU&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4EfqNK-i0E

Posted By: Cactus_buck

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/25/17 07:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Forrestgump1
Im confused. I thought that sodium bicarbonate ( salt) is a prime ingredient in killing plants?

Sodium bicarbonate is NOT salt.

Sodium Chloride IS salt.

Sodium Bicarbonate is BAKING SODA. Which is essentially a buffer and turns ph to neutral.

Sodium Carbonate is washing soda.

Now what that does to plants I don't know.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/25/17 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Cactus_buck
Originally Posted By: Forrestgump1

Sodium bicarbonate is NOT salt.

Sodium Chloride IS salt.

Sodium Bicarbonate is BAKING SODA. Which is essentially a buffer and turns ph to neutral.

Sodium Carbonate is washing soda.

Now what that does to plants I don't know.

Yes, sodium chloride is a table salt, but sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) is a type of salt too. Seems there are some articles online talking about using baking soda to kill weeds/grass. My guess it's all about how concentrated the application is and the general idea here is to add trace amounts of certain elements back to the soil.

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/25/17 08:39 PM

Sodium bicarbonate is a salt. You don't want to much of it.

It raises your pH and makes nutrients unavailable to plants just like acids do by lowering your pH.

It will also seal off your upper soil layer where water cannot penetrate.
Posted By: westflgator

Re: Trophy Rock Grow - 09/26/17 09:44 AM

This is a derived from seawater and used as fertilizer in very very low concentrations... I put out 4 pounds of sea mineral per acre mixed with 20 gallons of water. If broadcast you can put out 50-100lbs per acre initially. There are plenty of studies and resources online to clear up the confusion. Farmers who have begun to utilize sea minerals are having very good success. They are seeing less disease (plants aren't as mineral deficient), less pestilence (higher Brix, many bugs can't digest sugar well), and more drought tolerance, and they are also seeing comparable yields as well.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM