Aldeer.com

Fall Planting Dates

Posted By: William

Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 08:38 AM

When are yall planting and what are yall planting?
Posted By: blahblahblah

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 08:55 AM

Last week or so of September based on rain if possible to first week or two of October. Big plot on the farm: lupine, winter peas, and oats with a flood gully that I will put rye grain in it for erosion control. Then a plot 200 yards away I am putting some sunn hemp, soybeans, red ripper peas with rye and oats. It is mainly to hold pressure off the other plot. Then on the logging road on the club I am planting cereal rye, crimson clover, mihi clover, and radishes.
Posted By: Mowens

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 11:06 AM

Sept 16th
Oats
Wheat
Rye grain
Winter peas
Clover
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 12:01 PM

I like to spread them out through September. At least some of them will catch the rain right and get established before the inevitable drought of October. I'm planning to plant one tomorrow that is between 2 acres of standing corn and a grove of sawtooths that are loaded with acorns. Surefire will kill a deer there on the bow season opener. smile
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 01:52 PM

Always plant 1st or 2nd weekend in October. Last year thanksgiving would have been better
Posted By: CNC

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 03:23 PM

Planting is a little bit like gambling. The only thing you can really do is put the odds in your favor as much as possible and roll the dice. I look for certain variables to line up more than a date on the calendar. However, in most given years that happens in mid to late Sept. I want good soil moisture already present in my plots with rain coming on a season changing front. I want to see 90+ degree temps disappear before planting. Things are happening a little early this year. I'm not panicking to get them in or anything though. Last year taught me that you've got a LOOOONG window for planting.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 07:47 PM

We planted late Oct last year and had good plots.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 08:57 PM

I had to throw last weekend cause land owner wanted to go ahead and mow this past week. So it is what it is.
Posted By: William

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 09:16 PM

This cool down forecast for next week has me anxious. I have a rocky ridge top that I want to put the standard BSK mix on with the addition of turnips to help loosen the soil.
Posted By: AUwrestler

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 09:46 PM

Planting carolina reaper peppers, then gonna hunt the water sources. Gives the meat a good flavor too.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/03/17 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AUwrestler
Planting carolina reaper peppers, then gonna hunt the water sources. Gives the meat a good flavor too.

Good strategy. Put out some kiddie pools with milk in them and hunt that.

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/04/17 07:16 AM

Originally Posted By: William
This cool down forecast for next week has me anxious. I have a rocky ridge top that I want to put the standard BSK mix on with the addition of turnips to help loosen the soil.

It's got me a little anxious too. I'm not liking what I see in the way of moisture in the forecast though. As of right now I'm flirting with a 40-50% chance when the front comes through and then it looks bad dry after that for a while. Watching the tropics though. If that hurricane keeps trending this way then it may be go time. If not, I think it's gonna be the end of the month.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/07/17 08:05 PM

If I can get my seed and don't have to work next week because of Irma I am gonna plant next week. If that don't work out will prob have to wait till first week of Oct.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/08/17 07:20 AM

I'm planting Sunday ahead of the rain that we're getting off of Irma. Temps are plenty cool enough.

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/08/17 07:30 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
I'm planting Sunday ahead of the rain that we're getting off of Irma. Temps are plenty cool enough.

I think I may too now that she's moved west. How much rain are they expecting in east Al?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/08/17 08:28 AM

Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: blumsden

I think I may too now that she's moved west. How much rain are they expecting in east Al?

2-4"

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/08/17 09:24 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer
2-4"

I think I'm gonna go ahead and pull the trigger on it. Just changed the earl in the tractor....Headed to get seed later today.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/08/17 04:59 PM

Be careful what you wish for. The seed you plant may not end up where you put it if we get frog straggling rain from the storm. Been there, done that
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/09/17 08:14 AM

Originally Posted By: ronfromramer
Be careful what you wish for. The seed you plant may not end up where you put it if we get frog straggling rain from the storm. Been there, done that

Still only 2-4" forecasted, but the 4-6" line is getting closer and closer. One more westward swing and the whole state could get 8-10".
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/09/17 07:08 PM

Got seed in the ground today. With 10food plots and only a one man show I have to start early. 3 down, 7 more to go..

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/09/17 09:43 PM

Stone, that isn't such a bad thing anyhow. You have different things that will be at different stages throughout the season.
Posted By: StoneMan

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/10/17 11:03 AM

Wish bush hogging, discing, planting, smoothing and moving stands I'll be happy to be done by bow season

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/10/17 05:38 PM

I planted one of my test plots 50 yards from my house today. I pick a different aspect to test and make notes about every year. So this year, early planting with minimal work.

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/11/17 06:18 AM

I've got a nice thick thatch covering mine and not much slope, so I should be fine.
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/15/17 08:33 AM

I planted clover, red ripper peas, and chicory around the edge of the plot on the 29th of August right before a solid rain front.

I'll be clearing off the remainder of the leaves from the plot next week and having it ready to plant and fertilize before the next rain. BFO, Winter Peas, rapeseed, probably try to get some winter rye going in one of the erosion prone areas.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/15/17 10:37 AM

Well looks like Monday through Wednesday followed by 2 days of rain, hopefully.

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/15/17 10:48 AM

Checked my plots at the club that were planted Sunday and they are already sprouting. Should be greening up before long.
Posted By: CKyleC

Re: Fall Planting Dates - 09/18/17 06:16 AM

I think I may plant some today since they're calling for rain later this week. The voice in my head keeps saying wait until Oct.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM