Aldeer.com

Time to Lime

Posted By: StoneMan

Time to Lime - 08/31/17 12:52 PM

Got a late start to soil samples this year, but just got mine back and for 4 food plots my soil ph is averaging 4.8-5.1 ph. Going to do the reccomended lime/acre with pelletized lime. Hoping to bushog tomorrow afternoon, and get the pelletized lime spreaded and disced in before this rain at the beginning of the week. How deep do you disc the lime in? I understand this isn't a one time thing and i will have to put out more lime after this season but what would you do after lime to help the soil provide more nutrients for a better quality plot?
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 02:11 PM

Average root depth of what you plant is how deep the lime needs to go.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 02:12 PM

I've never seen any firm data on how deep to disc it in. You don't want it too deep. If your lime goes deeper than the plant roots will go, it's of no benefit. I'd say the top few inches of soil is where you need the lime. That's where the plant roots will be. You don't necessarily have to disc it in. I would certainly disc it in if the plot had a lot of slope to it. You don't want all your lime washing away. If the plot is flat and the lime is not likely to wash away, I'd just scratch the surface to allow some lime to get down a few inches deep.

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 02:54 PM

Thanks guys.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 02:54 PM

How many acres of plots do you have ?At those Ph levels you will be needing 2 tons/acre prolly and that is gonna get expensive fast with pelletized.

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 03:09 PM

one 4 acre plot, (3) 1/2 acre plots. Not expensive when it's a billed as a business expense eek
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: StoneMan
one 4 acre plot, (3) 1/2 acre plots. Not expensive when it's a billed as a business expense eek

Don't tempt the audit demons. LOL.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Time to Lime - 08/31/17 09:19 PM

Man wish I had a business!

Re: Time to Lime - 09/01/17 07:45 AM

Originally Posted By: AU338MAG
Originally Posted By: StoneMan

Don't tempt the audit demons. LOL.

Them demons come around too often here at the quarry. Them and MSHA can kiss my a$$
© 2024 ALDEER.COM