Aldeer.com

PTO spreaders

Posted By: N2TRKYS

PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 08:23 AM

What makes one brand better than the other? Which one do you recommend?

Thanks
Posted By: Out back

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 08:39 AM

The cheaper one.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 09:37 AM

While some may be a little heavier duty than others, I've never seen one that I thought was total junk. They'll all work if properly maintained. I do think the ones with the poly hoppers will last longer because they won't be prone to rust.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 10:22 AM

of all the equipment used to plant food plots, the weakest link is cyclone spreaders. I've never found one that I can't tear up over time, I'm legendary with my ability to tear one up. I do everything I can maintain and clean one after use.
I have a disc and bush hog that I bought over 25 years ago that are still going strong. I have a graveyard of spreaders, many of them, that aren't usable anymore.
I recently bought a new one with a poly hopper and have started disassembling it to clean it after using it. If you don't take it apart to clean it, you will eventually get enough corrosion, no matter how well you clean it, that sooner or later, you can't take it apart to replace parts.
Posted By: Slughunter

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 10:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
While some may be a little heavier duty than others, I've never seen one that I thought was total junk. They'll all work if properly maintained. I do think the ones with the poly hoppers will last longer because they won't be prone to rust.

I got one this summer from an employee's father, he just gave it to me because he wasn't sure it would still work since he had left it out in the weather for several years. He was the 2nd or 3rd owner.

It has the metal hopper and it had rust holes above the gates. Some JB weld fixed it right up. Its also dented and the gearbox is pretty sloppy but worked great putting out lime a couple weeks ago.

If I was paying for one used or new I'd try to find a poly hopper as you suggest.

Posted By: ALFisher

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 10:52 AM

Hollow spreaders - Darrell Harp Enterprises. Been using them for years - great product.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: ALFisher
Hollow spreaders - Darrell Harp Enterprises. Been using them for years - great product.

Pride of Red Bay, AL

Land Pride is also good.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 12:39 PM

You have to wash them out when finished and it helps if you pour some chain oil in there.
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/25/17 01:16 PM

Get one with a plastic hopper and stainless spinner plate and cups. Any care at all and it will last a long time. This is what my next one will be.
Posted By: auburn17

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/26/17 08:56 PM

Originally Posted By: marshmud991
Get one with a plastic hopper and stainless spinner plate and cups. Any care at all and it will last a long time. This is what my next one will be.

I agree with this. A poly hopper won't do any good when the guts rust out from under it. I have a hollow that is 5 years old and the spinner rusted out, just replaced with a stainless one and coated then entire hopper with bed liner. Hopefully it holds up
Posted By: centralala

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/27/17 06:06 AM

Just my $.02. I have one that is probably 25 yo. All metal. The key is wash after every use and coat with oil ALL over, top, bottom, and underneath. Keep inside barn and covered.

I bought a new plastic one about 3 years ago because it is lighter and I do everything by myself. It doesn't have a gear box per say but a grease fitting at the joint incased in a smaller housing. Everything else is the same as metal. Same routine keeping it clean and inside barn.

If someone borrows one, I do NOT want them to clean it. I want to my way.
Posted By: bambam32

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/27/17 08:05 PM

After cleaning, I spray mine with silicone, inside and out. It makes cleaning easier too.
Posted By: johndeere5036

Re: PTO spreaders - 08/27/17 10:35 PM

I wash mine out with vinegar. Some old man told me that and it works I've had the same hollow type spreader for a long time
© 2024 ALDEER.COM