Aldeer.com

lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings?

Posted By: ALFisher

lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/23/17 02:51 PM

I didn't get to lime this May/June like I normally do. Any harm in going ahead and putting some out now. My ph is 6.1. Someone told me you can burn up your seed, etc. If it rains, I fail to see how that is possible, but I am not a farmer.
Posted By: CNC

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/23/17 03:02 PM

My bad ....you asked me that question and I let is slip my mind. I don't know on that one. I've never heard of anything like that but maybe someone with have a for sure answer.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/23/17 05:02 PM

Lime, disc it in and plant when you get ready. If your pH is 6.1, it's probably already better than 90% of land that's not black belt. You can grow some great fall plots at 6.1.
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/23/17 07:18 PM

If your ph is really 6.1 then I wouldn't lime at all.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/24/17 02:39 PM

I don't plan on discing, or at least not discing deep. I plan on a modified throw and mow. Throw fertilizer and seed, then disc lightly to knock down vegetation and break soil crust and let it do it's thing. I think I am going to go ahead and lime. I'd like my ph above 6.5.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/25/17 10:18 AM

You'll be fine.
Posted By: Auburn_03

Re: lime now or will it harm seed/seedlings? - 08/26/17 08:40 PM

Lime will not hurt any seedlings. I have put out up to 2 tons of lime per acre and no tilled wheat within a week. If you already have a 6.1 ph I would not worry with putting out any more lime for a year or 2.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM