Aldeer.com

My trial mix this year

Posted By: blahblahblah

My trial mix this year - 08/18/17 08:31 PM

I am trying a mix in a pasture plot this year and will monitor it's success and attraction. The mix is oats, blue lupine, and winter peas. Anyone else ever used blue lupine?
Posted By: CNC

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/19/17 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: blahblahblah
I am trying a mix in a pasture plot this year and will monitor it's success and attraction. The mix is oats, blue lupine, and winter peas. Anyone else ever used blue lupine?

I did some reading on a while back and thought about experimenting with it but just never did. I think it may be one of those things that the deer annihilate like sunflowers or something of that nature.

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/19/17 06:32 PM

CNC, that is what I am expecting. I figure the winter peas and lupine will get devoured early. Therefore I'm including oats in the mix. Also about 200 yards away I am growing a small plot with oats, red ripper peas, sunn hemp, and iron clay peas. My intentions are for the small plot to provide some time for the lupine to get going. Lupine and winter peas are browse tolerant once they hit 6 inches.
Posted By: dreadpiratebob

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/21/17 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: blahblahblah
Also about 200 yards away I am growing a small plot with oats, red ripper peas, sunn hemp, and iron clay peas.

How big is your plot of red rippers? I thought about putting some in back in the spring, but couldn't ever get around to it.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/21/17 11:09 AM

A few guys on the old QDMA site planted it and they said the deer annihilated it. It's deer candy. I hope this is a big plot, if not, all you will have is oats left.

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/21/17 07:43 PM

the main field is 3 acres the small cowpea temporary plot is just over an acre.

Re: My trial mix this year - 08/21/17 07:43 PM

I'm using exclusion cages so I will know if the deer demolish it early.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM