Aldeer.com

Lime for small woods plots

Posted By: toothdoc

Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 11:22 AM

I have a few 1/4 acre plots that have an access road, but probably not accessible by lime truck. What are my options? Pelletized lime even though super expensive?
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 11:30 AM

That's what I have to do on a couple of small ones I have that can't be accessed by the lime truck.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 11:41 AM

See if someone will load bulk lime in the back of your truck and then shovel it off by hand. It's not that bad if you're doing small plots. Use a big scoop instead of a little shovel.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 12:00 PM

500 lbs of lime on a quarter acre plot is equivalent to 2,000lb/acre. You're talking about 10 bags of lime per plot. That's not going to be super expensive. You're talking about low volume. I wouldn't even consider fooling with shoveling bulk lime. Pay a little more for the bagged stuff. The slightly higher price will be made up for in convenience of getting it there and handling it.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 04:50 PM

First step is to do a soil test it costs $7. Then you will know how much lime you need. Pelletized lime is much easier to speak on small plots.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 07/31/17 05:47 PM

What about the liquid stuff. I never used it but have heard people say they had good results.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 05:47 AM

Originally Posted By: mike35549
What about the liquid stuff. I never used it but have heard people say they had good results.

Pelletized lime is the way to go for small plots like this. The additional cost for pelletized lime in such small quantities is insignificant and will pay off with convenience. I used a trimmer and walk behind fertilizer spreader this weekend to cut and lime a 250' x 25' plot this weekend. I'll prep another 3-4 plots at my club in the next few weeks this way. They make great hunting plots, especially for bow season and late season in the rut.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 06:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
500 lbs of lime on a quarter acre plot is equivalent to 2,000lb/acre. You're talking about 10 bags of lime per plot. That's not going to be super expensive. You're talking about low volume. I wouldn't even consider fooling with shoveling bulk lime. Pay a little more for the bagged stuff. The slightly higher price will be made up for in convenience of getting it there and handling it.

Amen to that! Dang, Harold, you trying to give ole' toothdoc a heart attack. You can buy pelleted lime for $3/bag if you buy in bulk. A pallet has 70 bags on it and weighs over 2800lbs, so take your trailer with you. If you don't want to do that then it will be $3.99/bag usually.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 06:59 AM

The way I’m looking at it is he said he had several small plots which means he’s likely gonna need a ton of lime before its over. From what I can tell it looks like bagged lime is about $3.50 for 40 lbs….Out the door that’s gonna be $200 for a ton…..bulk lime is like $20 per ton. That’s a pretty significant price difference. Shoveling a single ton off the back of a truck is not that big of a deal for a couple people. Me and some other guys loaded down 4 trucks at an old hunting club I was in one time with a ton each and shoveled it off.
Posted By: jason e

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 07:06 AM

Liqiud lime by grasshopper products is incredible! Works great and saves money. I use it when establishing new clover fields along with lime. Prefect for hunting clubs and small fields.

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 09:53 AM

Liquid lime works, but is short lived. I would use it on a new plot along with pelleted lime.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 12:18 PM

Can you not get the trailer to your plots? Was this the same place that you had the clearing done?

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Can you not get the trailer to your plots? Was this the same place that you had the clearing done?
yep. They cleared several larger areas (1ac) that I can get the truck/trailer to. I had 2 spots created that are about 1/4 ac each that I can get the tractor or 4 wheeler to no problem, but not sure about a truck. Especially a big lime truck. The st. Clair co-op said they don't rent the buggies any more, just bring a truck out and spread it for you.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: toothdoc
Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
yep. They cleared several larger areas (1ac) that I can get the truck/trailer to. I had 2 spots created that are about 1/4 ac each that I can get the tractor or 4 wheeler to no problem, but not sure about a truck. Especially a big lime truck. The st. Clair co-op said they don't rent the buggies any more, just bring a truck out and spread it for you.

Well, crap. That would've been super handy if they still rented a trailer. Good luck with your new place. I know you're excited about getting started.

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/01/17 03:07 PM

I've got a lot to learn, but it's a lot of fun. We never did the food plot thing much growing up. We just hunted the woods.
Posted By: WmHunter

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/03/17 04:20 PM

Someone up thread said that 500 pounds of pelletized lime = 2000 pounds of bulk regular lime.

I have read elsewhere that it is 200 lbs pelletized = 2000 bulk regular.

What is the true ratio?

Links to authoritative source?
Posted By: mdavis

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/03/17 05:31 PM

I spent the money on a rig like this. Bulk ag lime at the quarry is only $17 a ton.http://www.groundbusters.com/catalog/lime-spreaders
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 08/03/17 07:54 PM

Originally Posted By: WmHunter
Someone up thread said that 500 pounds of pelletized lime = 2000 pounds of bulk regular lime.

I have read elsewhere that it is 200 lbs pelletized = 2000 bulk

I'm thinking your referencing my earlier post but that's not what I said. I was saying that 500lb on a quarter acre plot is the exact same as putting 2,000lb on a one acre plot. I made this comparison because 1 ton per acre is a common recommendation for soils that need lots of lime. I was not suggesting any difference in pelletized lime and bulk ag lime. I don't want to get into the finer aspects of chemistry on this subject but assuming that both Ag lime and pelletized lime are both similarly pure, I think they'll have similar strength. I'm defining strength as "pH raising potential", not how fast it works. The finer the lime, the faster it works, as a general rule. It's possible to have two sources of lime that are the exact same strength but one works much faster than the other if it is ground finer. Does that make sense?
Posted By: therealhojo

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/04/17 10:51 PM

I have one of these. Might could help some people out. I have a skid steer, dump trailer that you could drop small piles at different fields. Don't know what the I could charge/

http://www.lillimer.com/aboutus.asp
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 07:00 AM

I tried pelleted lime a few years ago and for some reason it didn't work. I put 900 pounds on a 1/2 acre plot that I had a soil test on. After a year I checked the soil again and there was ZERO change in the ph.

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 07:41 AM

Timber, what type soil do you have? Is it sandy? If so, lime can leach thru sandy soil, especially with a lot of rain. Did you top sew or disk it in?

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 09:04 AM

What is the true ratio?

you read it wrong, dude. 500 lbs on a 1/4 acre would equivalent to 2000 lbs on 1 acre. Pelletized lime is roughly equivalent to ag lime only variance would be in the actual calcium content of each

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 09:45 AM

I agree with Ron.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 09:52 AM

Last year I had the co-op drop off 10 tons @ $30/ton, which is their minimum. Hooked up a trailer to the Ranger and loaded a ton or so at a time and blew it off the trailer with a high volume back pack blower while driving slowly.Got 5 acres done in about half a day but most of that was travel and loading time.

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 10:04 AM

Brad, I hope you had a tractor with a FEL. If you did that with a shovel, you a better man than me.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 01:15 PM

I broadcast it with my 4 wheeler and then disc it in.
Posted By: BradB

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 02:25 PM

Alas, no front end loader. Just me, my helper and a couple of shovels. I did make the helper blow the lime while I drove.He works for $10/hour and works like a mule when he is sober. The trick is catching him sober.Was real happy that day to pay him after he balanced on the trailer and blew/shoveled very dry lime all day.
Posted By: DEADorALIVE

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/05/17 08:08 PM

Originally Posted By: BradB
Last year I had the co-op drop off 10 tons @ $30/ton, which is their minimum. Hooked up a trailer to the Ranger and loaded a ton or so at a time and blew it off the trailer with a high volume back pack blower while driving slowly.Got 5 acres done in about half a day but most of that was travel and loading time.

Genius! I've set my backpack blower up on idle to forcefeed air into burning stumps, etc., before, but I'd have never thought to use it as a fertilizer spreader! ...I'm writing that one down!
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/13/17 03:35 PM

What is the true ratio?

The guy at a seed store told me that as well

Re: Lime for small woods plots - 09/14/17 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter

What is the true ratio?

The guy at a seed store told me that as well

not trying to be a smart arse, but in the future I wouldnt take any advice from that guy
© 2024 ALDEER.COM