Aldeer.com

What would yall do?

Posted By: Turkey_neck

What would yall do? - 07/19/17 08:10 PM

Planted peas and millet 5/20 and kept the deer out till about two weeks ago. The rain washed away the milorganite and in the last week they have decimated my fields. Would yall put more milorganite out and give the peas 4-6 more weeks of growth or let them have them? Kind of torn on this one right now.
Posted By: top cat

Re: What would yall do? - 07/19/17 08:41 PM

Only real way to be cost efective in stopping deer from eating anything............. Don't plant it..............

Re: What would yall do? - 07/19/17 08:45 PM

I want them to eat them just not all at once. Lol
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: What would yall do? - 07/19/17 09:03 PM

If it's just a summer plot then let them eat it, that's what is for ain't it??
Posted By: blumsden

Re: What would yall do? - 07/20/17 06:25 AM

The reason to keep deer off of summer plots, is so they can get established. Once established, let them eat. That was the goal when you planted it, to feed the deer, correct?
Posted By: CNC

Re: What would yall do? - 07/20/17 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
The reason to keep deer off of summer plots, is so they can get established. Once established, let them eat. That was the goal when you planted it, to feed the deer, correct?

I agree. Its really a no win situation. Whenever you stop adding the milorgranite, it's only gonna take them a couple weeks to demolish it. So even if you add more now....it's just a matter of which two weeks you choose to let them have at it. I'd spend the money on fertilizer instead of milorgranite.....For sure some N in hopes of boosting your total biomass before fall.

Do you still have millet growing or did they eat it too?

Re: What would yall do? - 07/20/17 09:34 PM

No the millet is kicking butt but it's about grown out I believe.
Posted By: CNC

Re: What would yall do? - 07/21/17 08:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
No the millet is kicking butt but it's about grown out I believe.

You may be able to grow another crop of millet if its gone to seed and done.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: What would yall do? - 07/21/17 11:21 AM

how big is your plot? In my area, I can't plant many things unless the plot is 3-4 acres minimum without fencing. Milo is one of the few things I can plant that won't get wiped out in a smaller plot
© 2024 ALDEER.COM