Aldeer.com

Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover

Posted By: FurFlyin

Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/12/17 10:44 PM

Is there a herbicide that will kill these but not kill newly planted clover? Gonna smoke it with Clethodim tomorrow then I have the broadleafs to tackle, if there is such a critter out there.
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/13/17 09:27 AM

Ask Matt (Weatherby257) can you use 2-4D-B.

I am not sure about it being new clover, so check with him. It has never killed established clover for me. I had Co-Op spray our pastures a few years ago to kill pigweed, and whatever they used worked extremely well.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/13/17 09:57 AM

I've used that on established clover before too, but I'm unsure about the new stuff. I figure Matt will see this and chime in. If he doesn't, I'll send him a message.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/13/17 01:41 PM

How established is it?

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/14/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
How established is it?

Not very. Planted it about 3-4 weeks ago.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/14/17 05:06 PM

I just went over and looked closely at it. Some of it has 3 pairs of trifoliate leaves, much of it 2, and some of it has one. The pigweed is growing fast. Already at 4" or so. Some of it is Redroot Pigweed but most of it is Spiny Amaranth. I'm not too concerned with the Lambsquarter but I'd like to clean it up if possible.

Is Butyrac the best thing to spray?
Posted By: centralala

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/14/17 08:53 PM

Know you're not going to spray gly but we have a variety of pigweed here that is gly resistant. I hate that stuff!

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/14/17 09:28 PM

I'd try it with butyrac. But just know palmer pigweed is bad. Real bad. May take 2 shots to hurt it much.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/14/17 09:41 PM

10-4. You think it's okay to spray now with some plants being only one tri leaf?
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/15/17 06:50 AM

What kind of clover is it that you planted 3 weeks ago? Thats late for a perrenial in Alabama. Its better to fall plant perrenials here unless we get a lot of rain, which i doubt we are. 2,4,d,b is your only option at this point.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/15/17 11:24 AM

It's an annual. Hubam White Sweetclover. I planted it so it would bloom mid summer. I got it in a month later than I wanted to due to not properly planning.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 07:05 AM

Look on Keystone Pest solutions. They have it all and are very friendly and helpful
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 07:08 AM

Then go to herbicides section and there they have a deer food plot section.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 08:50 AM

I bought it local at Guntersville Feed. They are very nice folks and I like doing business local to support home grown folks.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 08:54 PM

Yep. They buy from us. Good folks

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 09:20 PM

Yep. They buy from us. Good folks

This is a good example of why it's good to buy local. Some little percentage of that one jug of 2,4 DB that I bought, sent a litltle bit of money in to their houses and yours. I like to keep AL dollars in AL when I can. Pennies make dollars in this case, but it's all relative.

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/16/17 10:27 PM

Exactly. Thanks!

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/17/17 09:17 PM

Exactly. Thanks!

Maybe that jug put you over your quarterly sales goal. LOL

Re: Killing Pigweed and Lambsquarter in clover - 05/27/17 04:46 PM

All of the crabgrass that I sprayed with Clethodim 2-3 weeks ago is as dead as a hammer. IIRC, I mixed 6 ounces per 25 gallons.
I then sprayed with 2,4 DB. It did a good job of killing the pigweed, amranth and lambsquarter. It also killed some of the seedling clover. A good bit of the Humbam clover is recovering and will make it, especially if we continue getting rain. It knocked it way back though. The small strip that I didn't spray is getting close to a foot tall now. The weeds in that strip are about 18" tall.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM