Aldeer.com

Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr

Posted By: M48scout

Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/11/17 07:59 PM

Do any of you mix Gly with another herbicide like tryclopyr for a more effective broad spectrum kill? Target would be random briars, weeds, sedge, small trees, the usual mix in areas you are trying to keep clear.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/11/17 08:51 PM

Some of these other guys will know better than me but if I recall correctly, triclopyr is most commonly used with an oil based carrier. I think it can be foliar applied but the mix rate is real high, like 10%, which makes it not very economical. Conversely, imazapyr suggests mixing a little gly for a faster kill on some vegetation. You can mix 1% gly and 1% imazapyr and get a thorough kill.

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/11/17 09:15 PM

Thanks YS,

any thoughts on the soil activity of Imazyper? I don't want to impact the soil in this area for more than a couple months.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/11/17 09:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
Some of these other guys will know better than me but if I recall correctly, triclopyr is most commonly used with an oil based carrier. I think it can be foliar applied but the mix rate is real high, like 10%, which makes it not very economical. Conversely, imazapyr suggests mixing a little gly for a faster kill on some vegetation. You can mix 1% gly and 1% imazapyr and get a thorough kill.

And you can get a quart of Polaris AC (imazapyr) for $65 at the Co-op.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/11/17 10:24 PM

If you spray imazapyr it will probably kill the other trees/bushes within a 10+ foot radius.

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/12/17 06:35 AM

Thanks - yeah I'd rather not kill outside of where I spray for this application
Posted By: 007

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/12/17 10:59 AM

Gly with triclopyr will do what you want, for the most part. Most brush guys will spray 3% glyphosate in their mixes. You can go lower, but may not be as consistent. You can go about 0.5-1.0% on the triclopyr and be ok. If it goes out too "hot" it can shut a plant down and minimize the translocation of something like glyphosate. If you have sweetgums this may not kill them if they are too large. Add an MSO or crop oil for best results. It is also best to spray briars in the late summer for better kill, provided they aren't drought-stressed.

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/12/17 11:54 AM

10-4, I didn't know that about limiting the amount of triclopyr. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: sanderson

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/12/17 04:42 PM

I'm a big fan of the Gly-Tri combo
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/12/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: k bush
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly

And you can get a quart of Polaris AC (imazapyr) for $65 at the Co-op.

Holy shucks I'm way too low at $30!
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/15/17 08:45 AM

I haven't found anything a stout Gly and 2-4-D mix won't kill for a small area where you won't going to break the bank. Large area obviously that isn't an option.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Mixing Gly with Tryclopyr - 05/15/17 01:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Goatkiller
I haven't found anything a stout Gly and 2-4-D mix won't kill for a small area where you won't going to break the bank. Large area obviously that isn't an option.

This is what i use for weeds and grasses. Some people think gly alone will kill all broadleafs and grasses, but it won't.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM