Aldeer.com

Shaded Summer Plot

Posted By: Turkey

Shaded Summer Plot - 02/03/17 12:50 PM

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but what have you guys had good luck planting on small shaded plots in the summer? I picked the wrong year to try to get Durana and Ladino established in the fall. These patches are on a new lease, less than 1/4 acre, and are almost always in the shade. The lease prohibits opening the area up for more sun.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Shaded Summer Plot - 02/04/17 06:27 PM

Less than 1/4 an acre? I don't think you'll be able to get enough biomass of anything to grow to make a different.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Shaded Summer Plot - 02/06/17 07:36 AM

1/4 is too small to do anything. Plant buckwheat and alyce clover. Deer eat it, but they don't hammer it, although i'm not sure how much shade your talking about.
Posted By: Strictlybow

Re: Shaded Summer Plot - 02/06/17 12:51 PM

Try alyceclover and jointvetch. I've been planting it for about 5-6 yrs now and it does really well in the shade. And in the heat and drought. Not sure what type soil you have but it loves my red clay. It takes some spraying to keep weeds out but the deer love it. I've planted a lot of things to see what does best during the summer and this mix is at the top of my list for plots not large enough to support any type of peas or beans in lower Alabama.
Posted By: Turkey

Re: Shaded Summer Plot - 02/06/17 01:26 PM

Thanks. May very well try that.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM