Aldeer.com

Food plot turning yellow

Posted By: dBmV

Food plot turning yellow - 11/22/15 04:53 PM

Today I noticed that the wheat and oats in one of my food plots are starting to yellow on the tops. The clover and winter peas are looking very healthy. Should I fertilize again or just ride it out? I did a soil sample in the spring and fertilized and lined then.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/22/15 05:22 PM

Put about 150-200 lbs 34-0-0 per acre on them and they'll liven up.
Posted By: centralala

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/22/15 05:33 PM

I went to my honey hole foodplot yesterday for the first time since planting. I keep the soil in good shape per soil sample. It is more yellow looking which I haven't had before. I think it is due to all the rain I've had. I always go in around the first week of Dec. with 34-0-0 right before a rain is forecast. This usually starts the Dec. lull for us anyway. It really needs the 34-0-0 this year.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/22/15 07:53 PM

Plots need fertilizer when they are planted. By all means hit it with Nitrogen.

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 08:54 AM

We are supposed to get some rain this weekend so I guess I'll get a couple of hundred pounds and hit it before then.
Posted By: ronfromramer

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 10:30 AM

with all the rain we've had, the nitrogen will leach out of the soil, especially if it's sandy. Hit it with nitrogen ahead of some rain. If you put it out and you get no rain, it will burn it
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 11:25 AM

Is nitrogen more expensive than 13-13-13 or about the same?

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jsh1904
Is nitrogen more expensive than 13-13-13 or about the same?

you'll get more bang for your buck with ammonium nitrate. 13 lbs nitrogen in 100 lbs trip 13 vs 34 lbs nitrogen in amm.nitrate(34-0-0). cost per bag about the same. How much and what kind of fertilizer did you put out at planting
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 09:33 PM

Triple 13 is nitrogen that has other nutrients (Phosphorus and Potassium) besides nitrate. Ammonium nitrate 34-0-0 does have more nitrogen per lb. Grasses will need other nutrients and can have deficiencies besides nitrogen alone. For my money I would use triple 19 and lime. The more nitrogen you put down the more acid you are putting in your soil and that is making the nutrients unavailable to the plants. Lime makes these nutrients available and thus gives you more bang for your buck but not necessarily the instant gratification of the green up from 34-0-0.
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/23/15 10:41 PM

MORE THEN LIKELY YOUR POTASSIUM LEVELS ARE WAY HIGH, LAY OFF OF THE 13-13-13 FOR A WHILE AND GO WITH SOME 25-5-0 FOR A FEW YEARS
Posted By: Waldo

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/24/15 10:51 AM

I have never heard of Potassium levels being to high on a greenfield in Alabama but I guess it could be possible. If it were that high it should show up on a soil test. That being said K use in grass is directly related to N so the more nitrogen you put out it needs to be in an equal ratio to potassium. A good rule of thumb is 2-1-2 ratio, but for straight clover fields it is different. I believe in clover its more of a 1-2-2 ratio.

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/24/15 04:27 PM

I'm pretty sure its going to need nitrogen. The soil test I did in spring said potassium was in the low range. It advised 200 pounds of 0-0-60 per acre.

Re: Food plot turning yellow - 11/25/15 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: dBmV
Today I noticed that the wheat and oats in one of my food plots are starting to yellow on the tops. The clover and winter peas are looking very healthy. Should I fertilize again or just ride it out? I did a soil sample in the spring and fertilized and lined then.

If you fertilized in the spring, your nitrogen has already been used or leached out by the rain. Put 100/lbs /acre of 33-0-0 before the next rain
© 2024 ALDEER.COM