Aldeer.com

Liability Insurance Question

Posted By: Joe4majors

Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 02:07 PM

So...for the first time ever I'm leasing 60 acres in Tuscaloosa County. I'm the only lessee on the to-be-signed contract, but I can have guests. The lease is straightforward, but this is also my first time to need hunting lease liability insurance. When I looked into leasing land in the past it seemed like the insurance cost was close to $100, but I'm seeing $240-ish. Am I looking at the right thing or did Brandon mess this up too?

AFOA is closer to $150, but they appear to still be showing their 2021-22 rates.

Sorry for the basic questions...this is all new to me.

At the family farm we cut limbs standing on front of the 4-wheeler with chainsaws and no insurance... eek

AFOA

Outdoor Underwriters

AHLA
Posted By: FreeStateHunter

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 04:25 PM

I use AFOA. They’re usually the best overall value, not necessarily the cheapest always but definitely easiest to deal with.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter
I use AFOA. They’re usually the best overall value, not necessarily the cheapest always but definitely easiest to deal with.

I’ve always used them. Once a member, U can order “posted” signs pretty cheap thru them too.
Posted By: Stoney

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 08:07 PM

With some leasing timber companies, insurance is covered in the lease
Posted By: mw2015

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 08:29 PM

This is informational only as I don’t sell hunting lease liability insurance. Another is Lockton Affinity outdoor you might check out. Philadelphia Insurance Company also offers a hunting liability insurance product. Not sure if you can buy direct from them. Cheaper isn’t always better if you actually have to make a claim. Be aware of limits if it’s a group policy.

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/23/22 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Stoney
With some leasing timber companies, insurance is covered in the lease

Leasing from an individual.
Posted By: Ol’Tom

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/24/22 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Originally Posted by FreeStateHunter

I’ve always used them. Once a member, U can order “posted” signs pretty cheap thru them too.

AFOA is the way to go IMO. Call them.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 04/26/22 01:40 PM

Assured Partners
Posted By: rackhunter'

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/02/22 12:32 AM

I’ve used American Hunting Lease Association the last few years. 350 acres from a private landowner. It was $215 total last year. If you find something cheaper let me know.

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/02/22 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by rackhunter'
I’ve used American Hunting Lease Association the last few years. 350 acres from a private landowner. It was $215 total last year. If you find something cheaper let me know.

I insured 546 acres last year for $220 with AFOA

It’s like $65 for your club fee then 26 cents per acre

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/02/22 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by rackhunter'

I ended up going with AHLA. It was $240 for 60 acres. AFOA's start/end dates run August to August, which didn't go mesh well with getting in on this new lease.
Posted By: Bamarich2

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/03/22 02:27 PM

What got us with AFOA was the landowner fee that's required for every tract. Between a hunting club I help run and our personal lease, we have about 10 landowners... and that extra fee for every one of them starts getting expensive. Using Assured Partners cut our price in half from what we were paying with AFOA.

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/03/22 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bamarich2
What got us with AFOA was the landowner fee that's required for every tract. Between a hunting club I help run and our personal lease, we have about 10 landowners... and that extra fee for every one of them starts getting expensive. Using Assured Partners cut our price in half from what we were paying with AFOA.

Ahhh that makes sense. I lease from one person and he leases to a few others as well so he just pays his landowner fee. I can see where that would get high going to 4 or 5 landowners
Posted By: Lockjaw

Re: Liability Insurance Question - 05/03/22 08:20 PM

My insurance on my lease was only $220. I am sure Westervelt gets a big discount though.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM