Aldeer.com

Seeking hunting club near Stockton

Posted By: BoykinDog

Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 09/30/19 10:04 PM

I am new to this area and would like to find a hunt club (Deer and or Turkey) that needs a new member.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 10/01/19 12:58 AM

Welcome to the area sir. Clubs are probably full by now. Lot of public land near you.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 10/01/19 01:54 AM

Lots of clubs up this way. I'm in a big QDM club (probably the biggest club in Baldwin county land wise) and its a good one but I don't think you will ever get in for turkey hunting if that's important to you. I was one of the last members I know of that got in for both deer and turkey. We haven't had a turkey hunting membership open up in at least 5 years and frankly I doubt there will ever be another opening.. but the deer hunting is very good! We probably got 20k acres minimum under QDM including us and direct neighbors. Last week I rode a Ranger over 30 miles one way and had access to hunt on both sides of the road all the way to the Alabama River if I wanted to. Not many can say that and I find it pretty aweing really. Lotta land. Check back here end of season probably be a spot or two opening up for deer but they can go quick a lot of times they are filled with buddies of members. Need to be ready to pay in Feb.
Posted By: LWMajor

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 10/01/19 02:04 AM

Must be Southside HC ??
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 10/01/19 02:06 AM

YES. We rode from Lottie across the club 12 miles, then down the road to Upper Delta WMA, all the way to the river & BACK Fun trip!
Posted By: LWMajor

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 10/01/19 02:08 AM

Ahhh Southside , the land flowing with milk and honey for many a Baldwin county resident !! Lol
Posted By: snakeoil

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 11/26/19 11:01 PM

I hunted South Side for 5 years....moved next door to Majors Creek....same land just not as many rules...State Rules pretty much prevail...love my new home! Now that feeding is legal ,we now have a level playing field...Plenty of Turkeys, and few Turkey hunters...Dues are reasonable..
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 12/05/19 05:18 PM

How much are the dues on Majors Creek HC? I hunt on the same creek. Just downstream a bit.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 12/06/19 08:17 PM

Major's Creek aint Southside. Lotta members, lot less acreage and only half the acreage they used to have. Seems membership had a major disagreement the year before I got in and half the club left and took over half the land (the better half according to what I was told by the remaining members in Major's). Several of the board members lived adjacent to the property and hunted the crap out of it based on the signout book. Rules and application of the rules seem to depend on who you were. I paid dues there one year (I think it was 6 or 7 yrs ago) just to be able to hunt with a couple family members when I had to be in the area for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I hunted it one afternoon and never even set foot on the property again after that. I signed out for a stand on the powerline and walking into it, there was corn all over the ground in the middle of the powerline greenfield (illegal at the time) within 50yds of the shooting house I'd signed out for. Rules specifically stated no baiting but from what I saw in that one hunt, it evidently wasnt enforced. I drove back out and reported it to the president, who said he'd look into it, he never did that I was aware of, and I signed out for another area. FIL and BIL hunted it more than I did. FIL got lucky and killed two dinky 8 points (maybe 90-100" deer which we found out were big for Major's Creek) in his first 5 signouts and he said, "you'd have thought they were 200" bucks" when he brought them back to the skinning shed with the way the other members acted. They followed him around the remainder of the season. Deer density seemed fairly decent, based on tracks, but certainly not what I'd consider good for that area. A large portion of the land had been clearcut and burned that year so I'd assume that with it growing back, the deer density is probably on the rise now. No real buck managment to speak of on MC. Other properties in that general area, Hooper Mathews place and others I've hunted, give up some pretty good bucks for south Bama and Major's Creek might have a few on it but what I saw in the way of kill pics at the skinning shed and heard from talking with existing members on work days, every buck that meets club minimum (basically any rack deer) is getting shot or shot at by 99% of the membership. It's all in what you are looking for. People were all nice enough, buck quality wasnt close to what I expected knowing what other well managed properties in the general area produce. Just wasnt for me or my FIL. My BIL stayed in it two more years. Slippin, dues were pretty cheap if I remember right. Cheap enough that I got in it knowing I probably wouldnt hunt it more than 3-4 times since it wasnt my primary club.
Posted By: Jstocks

Re: Seeking hunting club near Stockton - 12/08/19 03:03 PM

I hunted in Halls Creek between Maytower Road. Deer were easy to come by. Turkeys were few and far between. Bucks were not very big as far as antlers. If you killed a big one, Iā€™d say 110ā€ to 120ā€ deer Would be considered big.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM