Aldeer.com

Sicard Hollow Rd

Posted By: BluffHunter14

Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 04:04 AM

Am I mistaken, or isn’t there a sicard hollow rd hunting club in Birmingham? Anyone know anything about it?
Posted By: Bamaturkeykilla

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 04:27 AM

There use to be a bow only club close to the Cahaba off Sicard Hollow. Not sure if they're still there or not.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 01:35 PM

Bham Fred should know about that area. Doubt there's any hunting around there now due to all of the housing development.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla
There use to be a bow only club close to the Cahaba off Sicard Hollow. Not sure if they're still there or not.

It was Vulcan Archery.

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Originally Posted by Bamaturkeykilla

It was Vulcan Archery.

That's it. I couldn't quite remember the name.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 05:34 PM

Man that is right smack dab in the pelham mountains!
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 07:00 PM

Vulcan was an archery club, no hunting of any kind.

you may be thinking of the archery only hunting club further out on Rex Lake Rd and Grants Mill Rd, and across the interstate on USSteel land.

there are LOTS of deer off Sicard Hollow Rd on private land and Liberty Park

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/23/19 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred

you may be thinking of the archery only hunting club further out on Rex Lake Rd and Grants Mill Rd, and across the interstate on USSteel land.

I guess that would be it. I used to live off Overton Rd on the Cahaba heights side before it was annexed by Vestavia. At the bottom of my neighborhood was the Cahaba River. There were signs on the trees across the river that had a club name on it. Just can't remember the name cuz it's been 10-12 years ago.
Posted By: AlabamaPhi

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/24/19 01:29 AM

There is. I saw a posting on FB several weeks ago where they were looking for a couple new members. Don’t remember all the specifics other than bow hunting only. Will try to find it again.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/24/19 03:06 AM

I never in my life killed any deer around Lake Purdy or where liberty park is now. Nope, never ever.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/24/19 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by doekiller
I never in my life killed any deer around Lake Purdy or where liberty park is now. Nope, never ever.

You can't because there are not any deer in that area. 😀
Posted By: lectrode

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/24/19 11:24 AM

Wish I could remember how many turkeys we took out of there back in the day
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 07/24/19 11:29 AM

Thought this thread was going to be an extension on the age-old debate as to whether there is a stop sign on Sicard Hollow Rd or not
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/06/19 05:36 PM

Nice guy that runs club but, how do I say this? Is this the "bow" hunting club with the, uhhhhh, really HIGH expectations/requirements for buck harvests with a bow? I'd love to have land where all my 4+ yr old bucks scored what the president expected and supposedly what the bucks on this land scored on that piece of property at maturity. I wonder how many bow kill 140's (the restrictions/expectations were really, crazy high. Esp for a bow) they ended up with? Restrictions were, well... irrational, I'd say. I.E. I don't think you could bow-kill a 115" B&C that was 6 yrs old. Not all 5 yr old bucks in that area are going to score over 120. If you kill a mature buck with a bow here in Alabama, no matter what the buck scores, you've done something! If you kill a buck over 140 with a bow here in Alabama, you've REALLY done something special!!!!!
Posted By: Bulls eye

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/06/19 10:00 PM

There are some hosses in that area. Definitely not a 140 behind every tree though....
Posted By: Antlerfluke

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/06/19 10:33 PM

Bulls eye, yes I know. There are some toads!! I prefer making restrictions on age rather than antler score. And if you're a bow hunting club, you ain't gonna kill a lot of bucks. It's bow hunting. But rules are up to the ones in charge.

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/06/19 10:49 PM

I hunted that property for many years and it has some bosses on it, waythehell over 140. We killed several over 150, one well over 150. I also killed several 6-7 year old bucks that scored 115-120. It had a bad BIG six genetic running there along with some much better genetics. All said, it ain't a great bow only habitat, at least when I had it.

the property I'm referring is off Grants Mill. Rex Lake and mostly north of I-20.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/19/19 09:27 PM

I seen about a 140 jump the fence or it was running along the fence, something on that bank right at the pump house and run across the road right there at the intersection. Last January. Nice deer I tried to clip it with the Gooseneck but I missed the road is curved right there and I didn't want to throw a skidsteer at it.

Posted By: 280REM

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/20/19 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
Vulcan was an archery club, no hunting of any kind.

there are LOTS of deer off Sicard Hollow Rd on private land and Liberty Park

Yep. I know someone with permission to hunt in the area. I used to work night shift in LP and I've seen some damn fine deer there.

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/20/19 11:57 PM

I saw a 170 ten point right at the office buildings and a mid 180 12 point on the golf course one rainy afternoon.
Posted By: Sasquatch Lives

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/22/19 12:16 AM

My buddy has a pic of a huge buck in that area but at night.
Posted By: William

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/23/19 01:15 PM

I live close to LP. There are some good deer there and a select few get to hunt in there (or used to). We have deer all up in my yard. I threaten to shoot one every year, but never do.

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/23/19 01:45 PM

half of the folks in LP want ALL the deer killed....and half don't want any killed.
Posted By: inatree

Re: Sicard Hollow Rd - 08/24/19 01:00 AM

I would love to get to bow hunt out there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM