Aldeer.com

Western KY / Southeast Illinois

Posted By: jchan

Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/28/17 08:40 AM

Looking to get a decent piece of land for lease for next season. Never leased out of state before. Anybody with any experience in these areas? Any things to look for or to avoid? Best place to look for these leases?

Squeaky - Brian Carrol told me to hollar at you.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/28/17 10:59 AM

jchan I'm very familiar with western KY and not so much SE IL. I hunt South Central IL. All I will say is good luck on finding a quality lease. Land is getting harder and harder to find in the areas I hunt. I do hear of farms for lease most seasons and 98% of them are in IL. I will let you know if I hear of anything. Check with me late spring to early summer. I may sub-lease a 385 acre farm I have now due to going in with some buddies on a few farms in Kansas.
Posted By: jchan

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/28/17 04:52 PM

Sounds good buddy.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/28/17 04:55 PM

Might be some hidden gems in Indiana and Arkansas as well. Also some nice properties in central KY. Pretty much equal drive time.
Posted By: turkey247

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/28/17 07:15 PM

Eastern KY may not be Midwest type terrain, but it is definitely overlooked.

Indiana does have typical Midwest terrain and is overlooked for sure.
Posted By: BrentM

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/29/17 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: turkey247
Eastern KY may not be Midwest type terrain, but it is definitely overlooked.

Indiana does have typical Midwest terrain and is overlooked for sure.

Lots of eastern Kentucky is suffering from a severe EHD outbreak. Friend of mine that lives there says he’s afraid every one of the does that stayed on his place most of the time are gone. He had a big 8 point get under his house and die a few weeks ago.
Posted By: Mbrock

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/29/17 10:14 PM

KY got hammered, along with parts of TN and anything northward.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/30/17 08:44 AM

Yep I'd steer clear of Eastern KY for a few years if I was looking to lease. We have not had any issues with EHD on the new farm in Western KY. This season and future seasons look bright on this property if we stay disease free over the next several years. The genetics and crop of young bucks are pretty impressive. The hit list is pretty strong for this year. I suspect there will be some happy hunters in a few weeks when rifle season opens.
Posted By: ParrotHead89

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/30/17 08:45 AM

Look at Base Camp Leasing for those states
Posted By: Reptar

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 10/30/17 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky
Yep I'd steer clear of Eastern KY for a few years if I was looking to lease. We have not had any issues with EHD on the new farm in Western KY. This season and future seasons look bright on this property if we stay disease free over the next several years. The genetics and crop of young bucks are pretty impressive. The hit list is pretty strong for this year. I suspect there will be some happy hunters in a few weeks when rifle season opens.

Fingers crossed!
Posted By: pcola4

Re: Western KY / Southeast Illinois - 11/01/17 04:15 PM

I would love a lease in Western Kentucky or Kansas.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM