Aldeer.com

Dog Training Lease

Posted By: NoboWhite

Dog Training Lease - 09/29/17 08:36 AM

I'm pretty new to the Auburn area and I was curious if anyone had any leads on dog training leases in the Chambers, Tallapoosa, Macon,Bullock, or Russel county area. specifically, I'm looking for a place where I can train my bird dog in the off season within a reasonable distance of Auburn. Any help would be appreciated!
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Dog Training Lease - 09/29/17 01:48 PM

A park is free. Usually a pond is there too. I used to take mine there all the time. Wide open space for long marks and for him just to expend some energy. What exactly are your looking for? A place to shoot dummy's or live birds or such?

Dr. B

Re: Dog Training Lease - 09/30/17 09:12 AM

Three things that I am interested in:

1. Access to live birds
2. Ability to shoot
3. Quail cover

The first is pretty important. Previously I was apart of a lease in Georgia where we had a large quail house. Everyone paid for the birds they used ($4) to help support future quail purchases. I think this system worked well, and would like something similar if possible.

Ability to shoot would be nice, I think it adds a little more realism to training. My dog is at the stage were he needs to steady up and I think recreating situations that he would face in field are the most beneficial.

"Quail cover" is kind of broad, but I'm looking for a place with some good field edges and hedgerows. Again, recreating conditions similar to the field will help link training and hunting/trialing.

Thanks
Posted By: inatree

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/01/17 02:08 PM

I haven't heard of anything like it.
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/01/17 09:31 PM

I've never heard of anything like this. Maybe call some of the lodges that offer quail hunting and see if they know of any places like you're looking for. Perhaps there is a internet forum for quail hunters that will have some connections. Good luck.

Dr. B
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/01/17 10:28 PM

Dog training leases don't exist...at least I've never heard of one, much less in Alabama.

You could probably join a fairly hoity toity type of wingshooting club, though...no shortage in that area. I am sure if you paid enough they would be glad to give you access to a few pen raised birds to train your dog with.

Pat Dye has a place close by and there's considerable bird dogging history in the Union Springs area.

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/02/17 07:47 AM

Thanks for the input guys, I'll be sure to follow up on some of these ideas.
Posted By: Solo

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/02/17 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum
Dog training leases don't exist...at least I've never heard of one, much less in Alabama.

You're completely wrong. I'm not close enough to the OP to help.
Posted By: ozarktroutbum

Re: Dog Training Lease - 10/02/17 10:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Solo
Originally Posted By: ozarktroutbum

You're completely wrong. I'm not close enough to the OP to help.
How so?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM