Aldeer.com

Dollars per acre

Posted By: Turkeyfever

Dollars per acre - 04/19/17 05:44 PM

What's the highest someone has paid per acre in Alabama and what's the average per acre
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/19/17 05:48 PM

$5-$20+. Tons of variables.
Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/19/17 06:51 PM

There's some on AFOA right now for $26/acre in Limestone County.
Posted By: ColeT

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/19/17 08:40 PM

There's only one place in Alabama I can legitimately justify paying 25$ an acre for. And at that area (the "area" is really like 30,000 acres) I've seen 48 deer in one afternoon on one greenfield.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/19/17 10:10 PM

I know of a $43 per acre tract, about 600 acres in Pike County. Leased by some people from Tampa.
Posted By: bill

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: ColeT
There's only one place in Alabama I can legitimately justify paying 25$ an acre for. And at that area (the "area" is really like 30,000 acres) I've seen 48 deer in one afternoon on one greenfield.

Bullock county. Specifically Fitzpatrick would be my guess.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 05:29 AM

Originally Posted By: bill

Bullock county. Specifically Fitzpatrick would be my guess.

Close. Place in talking about is about 10 miles from hurtsboro. I grew up hunting Fitzpatrick. Good hunting for sure.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 06:57 AM

I couldn’t see paying $25 an acre for any of it. At that rate we need to start packing our bags and headed somewhere besides Alabama. Sure there’s a lot of deer in that area but at the end of the day you’re still likely to just be dragging out a 120” buck or less. Several of the bucks in my tracking thread last year came from that “area”. You get some really good ones every now and again but those are exceptions and not the norm.
Posted By: YEKRUT

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 07:03 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer
There's some on AFOA right now for $26/acre in Limestone County.

And there is not even a turkey season in that half of the county.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: CNC
I couldn’t see paying $25 an acre for any of it. At that rate we need to start packing our bags and headed somewhere besides Alabama. Sure there’s a lot of deer in that area but at the end of the day you’re still likely to just be dragging out a 120” buck or less. Several of the bucks in my tracking thread last year came from that “area”. You get some really good ones every now and again but those are exceptions and not the norm.

You're dead on about the size. Their numbers can match anywhere in the country but none are special big
Posted By: DaBreeze

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 08:45 AM

I could pay that and probably lease upward to around 10 acres.
Posted By: Rebelman

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 11:24 AM

People get hung up on dollars per acre way too often. That is just one singular way of determining the value of a hunting property. Similar to cost per square foot in the housing market. A new 2,000 square foot house in Manhattan doesn't cost the same price per square foot as a 30 year old 2,000 square foot house in Slapout, AL.

NOT ALL HUNTING PROPERTIES ARE EQUAL. Nor are each hunting property equal in value to everyone. There are an unlimited circumstances and features that come into play. Location, size, access, timber types, neighbors, water features, terrain, food plots, campgrounds, price, etc. Honestly, to most people, quality and abundance of game are at the very bottom of attributes but to others it is highly important.

Don't get hung up on price per acre. It is only one attribute. Look at all the others and then determine what value it has to you.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 11:50 AM

Dollars per acre can be deceiving. The question is "is the experience worth the price". In some areas it is in others it's not. I now on my leases it is now, but it's working towards not.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 07:37 PM

I know of several properties leased at $35 an acre.
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/20/17 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Rebelman
People get hung up on dollars per acre way too often. That is just one singular way of determining the value of a hunting property. Similar to cost per square foot in the housing market. A new 2,000 square foot house in Manhattan doesn't cost the same price per square foot as a 30 year old 2,000 square foot house in Slapout, AL.

NOT ALL HUNTING PROPERTIES ARE EQUAL. Nor are each hunting property equal in value to everyone. There are an unlimited circumstances and features that come into play. Location, size, access, timber types, neighbors, water features, terrain, food plots, campgrounds, price, etc. Honestly, to most people, quality and abundance of game are at the very bottom of attributes but to others it is highly important.

Don't get hung up on price per acre. It is only one attribute. Look at all the others and then determine what value it has to you.

So your tracts that have been clear cut or have bad neighbors or have been abused by the previous lessors are cheaper than equivalent size good tracts?

You're pricing them all according to the actual hunting quality value rather than trying to get the absolute top dollar for every piece you lease?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/21/17 05:56 AM

Originally Posted By: RobertD

So your tracts that have been clear cut or have bad neighbors or have been abused by the previous lessors are cheaper than equivalent size good tracts?

You're pricing them all according to the actual hunting quality value rather than trying to get the absolute top dollar for every piece you lease?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

All properties are priced with value in mind.
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/21/17 06:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Rebelman

When I sold timeshares I sounded like this. We had a saying in the sales pit. "It's not how much they cost, it's how many you want!"
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 01:39 AM

For those of you who complain and gripe about the price of land don't have to lease it. No one is making you lease it. I've never understood how or why someone gets pissed off for someone putting a price on something of theirs.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 08:43 AM

If I had good land I was leasing I'd ask a high price. Somebody will pay it.
Posted By: coach41

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 09:55 AM

I just hate to see hunting slowly but surely becoming a rich man's "sport". The rising lease prices are getting ridiculous and it doesn't even have to be good land. If it's available some rich guy from out of town will eventually lease it, and timber companies/land owners know it.
I've went from "my" lease to two people, to last year a 5 person "club" just to be able to afford to hunt a pine plantation under drought conditions close to home. LoL.
Posted By: Breadwinner1

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 11:17 AM

Someone gonna isnt gonna get there moneys
Worth onsome alabama unversety land in acertain county,sure there is a few deer and turkey there.but gou might go a week and not see a deer.I have hunted it fo 35 years under private land,the owner died and left it to alabama unversety.now they are takeing bids.the turkeys roost on the land but fly down in a neighbors property that I hunt.I would bid on it myself.b
BUT Its not worth the money they are wanting.plus I still hunt 300 acres that borders it on 3 sides.The deer numbers are very low last year I saw 4 deer and let all go 3 spikes 1 doe.it is listed as 212
Kcres.over the last 35 years we may have
Killed 3o deer there mostly does and small bucks 3 good deer thats it.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Breadwinner1
Someone gonna isnt gonna get there moneys
Worth onsome alabama unversety land in acertain county,sure there is a few deer and turkey there.but gou might go a week and not see a deer.I have hunted it fo 35 years under private land,the owner died and left it to alabama unversety.now they are takeing bids.the turkeys roost on the land but fly down in a neighbors property that I hunt.I would bid on it myself.b
BUT Its not worth the money they are wanting.plus I still hunt 300 acres that borders it on 3 sides.The deer numbers are very low last year I saw 4 deer and let all go 3 spikes 1 doe.it is listed as 212
Kcres.over the last 35 years we may have
Killed 3o deer there mostly does and small bucks 3 good deer thats it.

Roll Tide
Posted By: Breadwinner1

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 12:35 PM

Well say you hunt 500 acres ,your paying for alot of that land thats unhuntable.with at being said ,say you have 250 acres in 5 year pines thick as a dogs hair.or the woods too thick to really hunt.really the only places you can actually hunt are green feilds.And all clubs on company land are limited to how much area they can plant.so say you lease 500 acres you might actually can hunt 100 acres but you have to pay the samd price for the whole 500 acres.like everyone said its turned into a big money sport.
Posted By: RareBreed

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: coach41
I just hate to see hunting slowly but surely becoming a rich man's "sport". The rising lease prices are getting ridiculous and it doesn't even have to be good land. If it's available some rich guy from out of town will eventually lease it, and timber companies/land owners know it.
I've went from "my" lease to two people, to last year a 5 person "club" just to be able to afford to hunt a pine plantation under drought conditions close to home. LoL.

There are at least 750,000 acres in Alabama open to the public for hunting. It's not a rich mans sport due to private and timber lease prices alone. Guns, ammo, license, apparel, seed, fertilizer, stands, ATV's, fuel, shelter, etc make it a sport for the wealthy more so than lease prices even though most of what I mentioned is not necessary to kill wild game.
I wish Outdoor Alabama or some other hunting publication would do an article and break down the math of how inexpensive hunting game animals actually can be.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/23/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: timbercruiser
I know of a $43 per acre tract, about 600 acres in Pike County. Leased by some people from Tampa.

This kinda stuff amazes me. Anyone smart enough to have enough money to pay $43 an acre for a place to hunt should be smart enough to buy his own place.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/27/17 10:17 PM

I know of a tract in Jackson county that's 200 acres with a small cabin bringing $7,500. And it's not real good land either.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 05:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Haybale
I know of a tract in Jackson county that's 200 acres with a small cabin bringing $7,500. And it's not real good land either.

If you figure the value of the cabin on a monthly basis the price is a lot easier to swallow. $500/month is $6000 leaving $1500 to cover land rental.

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 08:33 AM

The cabin is what jumps the price
Posted By: burbank

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 11:20 AM

I would go finance my own 40 acres before I pay 500 per month for a lease.

Originally Posted By: k bush

If you figure the value of the cabin on a monthly basis the price is a lot easier to swallow. $500/month is $6000 leaving $1500 to cover land rental.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: burbank

Let me know when you find 200 acres and cabin for a $500 a month note and I'll split it with you
Posted By: burbank

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 03:34 PM

I said 40 acres, not 200.

No way in hell im paying that much for something LEASED. I would prefer a small tract that I owned. Just my personal opinion....
Originally Posted By: Atoler
Originally Posted By: burbank

Let me know when you find 200 acres and cabin for a $500 a month note and I'll split it with you
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 07:09 PM

When it costs 500 a month to hunt I'll pick up a cane pole, pack a coffee can full of worms and go back to fishing.
Posted By: dBmV

Re: Dollars per acre - 04/28/17 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit
When it costs 500 a month to hunt I'll pick up a cane pole, pack a coffee can full of worms and go back to fishing.

I'm scared to total it up but I'd say I'm pretty close to that right now.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM