Aldeer.com

ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter

Posted By: Cooper

ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 10:41 AM

I am new to hunting and looking to get some deer meat and learn. I live in North st Clair and looking for a club or just some land I can hunt on and learn, I do not have much money so its hard to lease my own land or join a expensive club. I have tried to call a person that owns alot of land near my house but he has not called me back so I am expecting a no. I do not own a truck so its hard to get a deer from a WMA since the closest ones are 2 hours away.

Let me know if any of yall have any ideas.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 10:54 AM

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 11:15 AM

yes i am it would just be me and my gun in the woods
Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 11:34 AM

First off good luck with your quest.

I'm not sure what your definition of "expensive" is. There plenty of clubs where the dues are as low as $500. I'm sure there are several clubs in your area that would be reasonable in cost. At least you'd have access to land and probably some good folks to help you get a deer out of the woods if you're successful.

All because you don't have a truck, doesn't mean you can't get a deer home. I hauled many a deer in my Honda civic then a Prelude before I ever had a truck. I didn't have an ATV either. It was drag him to the road and load him up. It's all about how motivated you are and what you're willing to do. Just don't give up.

Another word of advice: calling a rich landowner will never get you permission to hunt a place. If you want a chance at that land, you need to go knock on his door or offer to take him to lunch and meet him. Offer to do chores or work around the place in return for a permit to hunt. You may still get a "no" but at least you have made a personal contact with him.

Something will come up but you're going to have to hustle to find it.

Dr. B
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 11:38 AM

Originally Posted By: bamaeyedoc
First off good luck with your quest.

I'm not sure what your definition of "expensive" is. There plenty of clubs where the dues are as low as $500. I'm sure there are several clubs in your area that would be reasonable in cost. At least you'd have access to land and probably some good folks to help you get a deer out of the woods if you're successful.

All because you don't have a truck, doesn't mean you can't get a deer home. I hauled many a deer in my Honda civic then a Prelude before I ever had a truck. I didn't have an ATV either. It was drag him to the road and load him up. It's all about how motivated you are and what you're willing to do. Just don't give up.

Another word of advice: calling a rich landowner will never get you permission to hunt a place. If you want a chance at that land, you need to go knock on his door or offer to take him to lunch and meet him. Offer to do chores or work around the place in return for a permit to hunt. You may still get a "no" but at least you have made a personal contact with him.

Something will come up but you're going to have to hustle to find it.

Dr. B

Great post!
Posted By: James

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 11:43 AM

Sooooo do you own a car? grin
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 12:30 PM

and if there to big and heavey to lift up and put in the trunk, I just put them in the passenger floorboard. If you got a bunch of woods around your house. I'd just hunt them anyways. I mean technically the land owner didnt tell you that you couldnt hunt.
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 12:39 PM

You need to piddle around and find you a sanctuary. laugh
Posted By: shooters

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 12:44 PM

If your in North St.Clair there are several 500 dollar clubs you can join. thumbup
Posted By: Remington270

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 12:51 PM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
If you got a bunch of woods around your house. I'd just hunt them anyways. I mean technically the land owner didnt tell you that you couldnt hunt.

Worst post winner!

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 03:14 PM

I have found 2 clubs but both are $1000 dues and I just do not have that kinda money. But you can point me in the direction guys and keep the troll to a minimum, if you can.
Posted By: ALclearcut

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 04:34 PM

You can hunt public land using a car. Just clean the deer wherever you killed it on the wma and then all you have to bring home is a cooler full of meat. If money is a concern I highly suggest public land. Hell, I have my own family land as well as land I lease and I still like to hunt public land from time to time. It's an adventure. You feel like you are hunting a true wilderness. 90% of the negative stories you hear about public land hunting are either lies, exaggerations, or told by people who have no idea how to hunt.

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 04:40 PM

I have no problems with a wma I'm just hoping to find something closer to home
Posted By: BPI

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 04:57 PM

If your in North St. Clair there is public land to hunt close to your home.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 05:38 PM

You can most definitely find a club for $500 or less. That still may be too expensive for you as $500 is not chump change. I believe you have national forest land close to you that you can hunt for the price of a license. I hope you find something.
Posted By: mmusso

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/07/15 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Bustinbeards
You need to piddle around and find you a sanctuary. laugh

Again, this ^^^ is the answer. Piddling and finding sanctuaries solves most all of life's problems.
Posted By: rut_n_strut75

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
and if there to big and heavey to lift up and put in the trunk, I just put them in the passenger floorboard. If you got a bunch of woods around your house. I'd just hunt them anyways. I mean technically the land owner didnt tell you that you couldnt hunt.
X2 that's what I always used to do before I wanted to join a club. Killed bigger deer on other peoples land than I ever have on mine. And if you ever get caught just tell them you were "out piddling" and you can't get in trouble because piddling is not illegal. thumbup
Posted By: Northbamabucks

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 09:54 AM

lol well i guess im the joke of the forum now
Posted By: Remington270

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: rut_n_strut75
you can't get in trouble because piddling is not illegal. thumbup

Trespassing is. I hope y'all are kidding with all this.
Posted By: rut_n_strut75

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 12:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270
Originally Posted By: rut_n_strut75
you can't get in trouble because piddling is not illegal. thumbup

Trespassing is. I hope y'all are kidding with all this.
Yea we like to have fun with people around here grin

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 02:07 PM

I'm not trespassing yet lol I would either ask permission or go to a wma 2 hours away. I need someone to teach me really and the force is not with me but keep me posted guys someone might be able to help
Posted By: lectrode

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 07:00 PM

I was piddlin with a cougar back in the 80s in her sanctuary. It was awesome!
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 09:02 PM

Last year there was a club just right outside Ashville for $200. That's as cheap as you'll ever find anywhere. Call the fire dept. guys. See if they can point you in the right direction...Good luck, but whatever you do.. Don't hunt someone's land you don't have permission to be on...
Posted By: AC870

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/08/15 09:40 PM

This is the best thread I've read in awhile. I'm laughing out loud. I'd love to do some piddling tonight but I took my cougar fishing after work and she's passed out on the couch.
Posted By: Beer Belly

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 06:11 PM

Go buy a trailer hitch cargo carrier (put your deer on that).

Park on the side of the road and walk in ~1/2 mile, sit down and be quiet for ~3-4 hrs. Do this 10 times and you will get a shot at a deer. Deer hunting isn't rocket surgery.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5213098.pdf

There are plenty of deer in the WMA's in bama. You just have to be patient, and spend your time in the woods.

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 09:43 PM

Its not really about getting the deer home its about the drive to and from when they only allow gun hunting a few days a month.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntersMark
Its not really about getting the deer home its about the drive to and from when they only allow gun hunting a few days a month.
You can gun hunt the Talladega National Forest 7 days a week.

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 10:31 PM

MTasgue, I thought I could only hunt on certain days they allow.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 10:37 PM

You have more public land within 45 minutes of you than you can shake a stick at. Call the national forest office and order a map and go hunt.

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/10/15 10:40 PM

Atoler, I just found the maps but where can I find more into on Gun hunting in Talladega or is it from Oct-Jan? I will ask to confirm when I call but I am trying to plan trips of hunting around working so any info is helpful.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/11/15 06:32 AM

It's normal gun season, ask the rangers for specifics. FYI, gun season is not in October

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/11/15 08:12 AM

I think its Nov 21st to Jan 31st but I will call this week to make sure.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/11/15 03:18 PM

Hunt public land . There has got to be some within an hours drive.

Listen to MTeague. He may say he is "as dumb as his brother" but I dont think so.

That big buck on his avatar he shot on public land.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/13/15 04:59 PM

If you find some good, free land to hunt, let me know...I'll go in halves with you

Re: ISO cheap/free land or club for new hunter - 10/13/15 05:32 PM

Done Deal when I find it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM