Aldeer.com

WTB Budget Deer Rifle

Posted By: mcninja

WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 01:46 AM

I missed out on Cutem’s Ruger the other day. Looking for something similar. Just a simple no-frills straight shooter…Something that a preteen/teen can tote around the woods without me being worried about a pricey rifle. Prefer .308 but will consider other calibers. Prefer gun/scope ready to go. In OXR but willing to drive a fair distance and pay fair price for the right deal.

WYG?
Posted By: jb20

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 01:56 AM

I ain't got one to sell but if u can find a savage youth model I shot one the other day n I'm gonna get one next yr...needs trigger work but was a shooter

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by jb20
I ain't got one to sell but if u can find a savage youth model I shot one the other day n I'm gonna get one next yr...needs trigger work but was a shooter

Savage is actually my top pick. 👍🏼
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 02:21 AM

I've got a safe queen Savage model 11 243 with less than 10 rounds through it. Its a blued/synthetic gun. I have a Tasco World Class 3-9x50 or a Vortex 4-12x44 that can be put on it. Have some ammo for too. Pm me if you are interested.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 02:30 AM

I have two savage axis youth guns myself. I like them pretty good. Probably the best value out there for the money

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by just_an_illusion
I've got a safe queen Savage model 11 243 with less than 10 rounds through it. Its a blued/synthetic gun. I have a Tasco World Class 3-9x50 or a Vortex 4-12x44 that can be put on it. Have some ammo for too. Pm me if you are interested.

Thanks. PM sent.
Posted By: Dan4good

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 03:19 AM

Pm sent
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by mcninja
Originally Posted by just_an_illusion

Thanks. PM sent.

PM returned
Posted By: NWALJM

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 04:58 AM

FWIW, if you come across a Remington 783 I’ve been real pleased with mine. It’s rough but it’ll flat drive tacks at the range. Mines in 30-06.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
I have two savage axis youth guns myself. I like them pretty good. Probably the best value out there for the money

Did you do the YouTube trigger job on em JW? It makes a world of difference. PM me if you need help with it.

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe

Did you do the YouTube trigger job on em JW? It makes a world of difference. PM me if you need help with it.

I have not. I guess i dont own but one gun with a easy trigger. I was checking our rifles the other day and my weatherby vanguard kinda scared me. It has a way more touchy trigger than the rest of them. Ive gotten used to a stiff trigger and it seemed to go off as soon as i touched it, hair trigger kind of deal. It has an aftermarket trigger. You can send me a link and i will look in to it. I wouldnt mind turning them down a little.
Posted By: Brianmashburn

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 04:04 PM

I’ve got a 783 in .308. Best $250 I’ve spent in 40+ years of wasting money on hunting stuff. This ugly cheap thing kills deer.
Posted By: Garndawg

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 04:16 PM

Another vote for the Savage Axis youth. Mine has the trigger job, cost $25, took 30 mins. Really nice! Scope on it is so-so, but enough for my 10 year old.

Also, the Mossberg Patriot youth (same price range) and the Ruger American (a little more $$) are good options.
Posted By: TurkeyJoe

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by TurkeyJoe

I have not. I guess i dont own but one gun with a easy trigger. I was checking our rifles the other day and my weatherby vanguard kinda scared me. It has a way more touchy trigger than the rest of them. Ive gotten used to a stiff trigger and it seemed to go off as soon as i touched it, hair trigger kind of deal. It has an aftermarket trigger. You can send me a link and i will look in to it. I wouldnt mind turning them down a little.

Pm to ya
Posted By: Garndawg

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/09/22 10:32 PM

The kit doesn't make it touchy, reduces the pull down to about 3.5lbs. More importantly, it provides a nice 'wall' after the break. Feels really crisp.

You never touch the sear, so safety is never in question. I dropped the butt of mine on the floor from about 18" several times, just to be sure the firing pin wouldn't slip. Solid as a rock...

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/18/22 02:41 PM

Transaction complete and 3% sent.
Posted By: Moodyc24

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/19/22 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by Garndawg
Another vote for the Savage Axis youth. Mine has the trigger job, cost $25, took 30 mins. Really nice! Scope on it is so-so, but enough for my 10 year old.

Also, the Mossberg Patriot youth (same price range) and the Ruger American (a little more $$) are good options.

I also have a youth axis in 7mm-08. I would like the link to do the trigger job. Thanks in advance.

Re: WTB Budget Deer Rifle - 01/19/22 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by Moodyc24
Originally Posted by Garndawg

I also have a youth axis in 7mm-08. I would like the link to do the trigger job. Thanks in advance.

© 2024 ALDEER.COM