Aldeer.com

SIckle mower

Posted By: Jtb51b

SIckle mower - 07/31/21 06:58 PM

I would like to buy a sickle mower. Looking for something to use once a year cutting corn stalks to feed cows. Doesnt need to be newer/pretty/expensive just working or close! Dont mine working on one to get it going,

Jason
Posted By: Robert D.

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 12:50 AM

Sweet tractors in KY used to keep a BUNCH of small odd ball stuff like that. They have (had?) a website. Might also try The Farm Center in Brewton, AL. (251) 867-7882 and ask for Lavaughn. Good guy but will talk forever if you let him. He has a bunch of stuff that’s hard to find as well.

Have you used one for that before? I’d not have thought they’d cut big stalks. Good luck. Might be easier to find a used disc hay mower. Parts for a sickle won’t be easy to get.
Posted By: fedex

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 01:06 AM

I could use one my self to cut around pool banks
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 01:16 AM

Bushhog the stalks, rake and bale. Seems like stalks woukd be HARD on a sickle.
Posted By: Jakethesnake

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 04:37 AM

I was thinking the same thing about it being too rough on a sickle. Boy I remember watching those in action as a kid. I miss that.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 06:24 AM

Don't think a sickle mower would cut stalks. You need a silage cutter. Cows would be better off with silage anyway.
Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Tigger85
Don't think a sickle mower would cut stalks. You need a silage cutter. Cows would be better off with silage anyway.

It takes alot of work to make silage, versus what he wants to do. I knew where a John Deere 350 7’ cut was, I’ll see if the guy still has it.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 02:40 PM

for cutting stalks you need a Silage Cutter. It will be a slow process with a sickle. There are a couple on Craigslist and Bates in Cullman usually has a few there by the interstate. Get one that's belt drive if you get one.

Re: SIckle mower - 08/02/21 06:46 PM

I take it he's talking about dry stalks behind a combine since he said "cuts corn STALKS to feed cows".

If he's looking to cut dry stalks behind a combine to feed to cows he needs a rotary cutter with a good set of blades. Shred, rake, bale and feed. A silage cutter ain't gonna pick up much behind a combine.
Posted By: Bar270

Re: SIckle mower - 08/03/21 02:11 AM

U need a mx 15 with good blades

Re: SIckle mower - 08/03/21 10:15 PM

Thanks for the insight. I want to cut standing sweet corn down maybe a foot above the ground and feed the stalks to the cows. If it takes more than a couple hundred dollar sickle cutter to try that I will just bush hog them and feed the cows 12%. There is a time where you can spend good money to make bad, this could be one of those times.

Jason

Re: SIckle mower - 08/03/21 10:46 PM

I think you would be throwing good money after bad trying to cut dry stalks with a sickle. Are you wanting to bale the stalks to feed at a later time or feed them whole?

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 12:04 AM

I only have 11 rows about 300 feet long. My idea was to cut them NOW, right after the corn has been picked, one or two rows at a time and feed them immediately and whole. Thought I would cut them with a sickle mower, then kind of grub them up with a grapple bucket and dump them in the pasture. They really like the corn shucks and short cobs, and I have read that they will eat the whole stalk with good results. First time trying it so who knows. I was thinking a sickle would also be handy for banks ETC so not a total waste.

Jason

Also, just and FYI my corn stalks are very thin this year. Corn was GREAT, but the stalks are short and spindly. I would guess no more than half an inch thick at the place I would be cutting.

Posted By: Be_Cam

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 01:47 AM

It’ll work fine for what you are doing. The one I had lined up didn’t pan out. If you find one try to get a New Holland 450 or 451 or a John Deere 350. Lots of parts still available for them. I do know where a haybine is. It’s a international 1190, it’s a mower conditioner with a sickle bar. 9’10” cut I think.

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 02:11 AM

Now that we undestand what you are trying to do a sickle would probably be ok. I cut my sweet corn stalks with a garden hoe soon after gathering corn and pitch the straight to the cows. They will clean the up for sure.

Sorry, I don't know where a sickle mower is for sale. Good luck with you endeavor.
Posted By: Tigger85

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 02:56 AM

Figured he was trying to make green chop. i cut some one time and ran through a wood chipper, they cleaned the trailer that I was blowing it on.

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 01:09 PM

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate criticism if it saves me money and heartache! I found a few for sale online but of course no one will respond when I ask about coming to see it ETC. Way of the world I guess.

Thanks again,
Jason
Posted By: Wade

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 06:49 PM

I think he will have a hard time counting to 10 if he buys a sickle mower. Just guessing here...

Re: SIckle mower - 08/04/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Wade
I think he will have a hard time counting to 10 if he buys a sickle mower. Just guessing here...

Sure hope not! Thank god for cab tractors to keep fingers safe!

FYI I am using the snot out of that big finish mower I got from you. It does a great job! Should have bought the nice one tho, I bet I have more in this ugly one that I would have if I had just bought the good one!

Jason
© 2024 ALDEER.COM