Aldeer.com

Tell us about your last day of the season...

Posted By: Bama Bob

Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 02:30 PM

Most of you are in the woods wondering where to setup for the last 4 hours of the season. I'm at work on my lunch break looking at the computer...

I knew last Sunday was going to be my last hunt of the season but I didn't think my view of the road was going to look like this on the way out:

I heard several shots in the distance between 7:30 and 8:30 but nothing after that. I hadn't see anything and was thinking of getting down at 10:00 but decided to sit ONE MORE HOUR. This guy showed up at at 10:30, just taking a slow stroll through the woods.

Good luck and hang in there, hunt hard till the bitter end. - It ain't over till the fat lady sings! Which will be about 5:30 tonight.

Tell us how it ended for you.
Posted By: TR

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 03:15 PM

Great deer! My last day consists of me wishing I felt like getting in the woods. I thought I would be healed enough to go for a late hunt today but I'm just not up to it yet since my surgery a week ago. So my view is whatever you guys post on here! Starting to think about turkey season, but for our club that's not until April.
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 04:12 PM

Hunted a 200 yard bush hogged trail in some thick thinned pines this morning didn't see a deer. Gonna set on a field this evening watch the sun go down and call it a day. Ready for it to be over I am about hunted out. Ready to start fishing.
Posted By: Randy74

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 04:15 PM

Well my little man decided he didn't want to go today and I was ok with that and wasn't about to leave the family to go by myself. We have been hanging out in the yard most of the day. Rode the 4 wheeler a little, shot some guns, we all shot bows together(me,him,and the wife), and played a little ball. Been a good day hanging out; can't imagine it would have been any better in the woods! Good luck to the guys that went!! Hope you all kill a big one!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 04:19 PM

My last day deer hunting was the opening day of gun season. Today I'm home recovering from surgery.. Nice buck BB
Posted By: Moodyc24

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 04:24 PM

Man that's a long ways from now, like feb 10th.
Posted By: demp17

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 05:52 PM

So far I've found a gut pile where some trespassers killed a deer on the club and also found/didn't find my climber which I was going to pull out then go hunt another spot, someone stole it. Can't stand thieves.
Trespassers came off Jacobs mt. Wma and I'm sure they are the same ones who took my summit viper hd which was the direction the blood trail I cut went. Only came across the line 500 yards
Posted By: Standbanger

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 06:01 PM

I swear I was at work Shane
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 06:05 PM

Great buck! Spent the last day watching my boys play a basketball game this morning followed by evaluating 7/8 year olds at the baseball field. It was a beautiful day!
Posted By: Possum Hunter

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 06:38 PM

Ended for me with shooting a big doe 10 mins after I got in stand this evening at 2 pm!!!
Posted By: CatHeadBiscuit

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 07:00 PM

Deer repellent is still working
Posted By: booner270

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 07:53 PM

spent the day working a 13 hour shift. frown my last day to hunt was yesterday. over the hill neighbor played with his new pistol. shot at least 200 rounds, I was forced to change stands mid hunt. didnt see crap!!
Posted By: mike35549

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 07:55 PM

I got skunked didn't see a deer all say.
Posted By: 300gr

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 08:21 PM

Got up ate breakfast, saw a big doe in the field in front of my house. Dusted her because I needed more meat. Hit the woods and didn't see a deer this afternoon. But I did find a boat load of squirrels.
Posted By: Turkey Petter

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 08:36 PM

Nice Buck BB. My last day ended looking through the crosshairs at 60 pound deer. As it got dark, I thanked God for another deer season. I watched the deer slide back into the thicket as I cut on my light to exit God's Country.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 08:37 PM

It sucked.

The end.

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Standbanger
I swear I was at work Shane

2 summit vipers stolen in the last 2 years. The other was on my lease close to my house last January.

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD
It sucked.

The end.

Bring on turkey season!!
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 09:03 PM

I'll show ya, saw a beautiful sunrise and a few deer. Nothin' that needed shootin'. Had a large Great Horned Owl land in a tree near by, we scoped each other out and he went on his way.

Posted By: DeerTracker

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 09:32 PM

Had a nice 8 point come through about 20 minutes after got in tree. couldn't get on him before he worked his way behind me and winded me and it was all over. About 10:00 AM 4 does came in and ate in front of me for about 30 minutes and eased off. Saw about a dozen turkeys and 2 more does came from where turkeys were feeding. Before today saw 4 deer in January. Saw 7 today and a bunch of turkeys. Season ended on a high note.
Posted By: ford150man

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 09:37 PM

My last day of the season was spent at my twins' 5/6 year old basketball game, followed by an afternoon of pulling up old fence posts and setting/concreting new ones, taking care of my older son who has the stomach bug...again. Not how I envision the last day of deer season but any time spent with the family is a good time.
Posted By: AUdeerhunter

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 09:50 PM

Today was the icing on the cake for my sorry season! I've hunted at least one hunt each day for the last 8 days, in hopes of killing a decent buck or mature doe for the freezer...this is how my frustrating day went:
*Got in the loft of the barn (shooting house) at 6:00
*Saw a spike at 6:30
*Saw a doe and fawn about 8:15 and realized they weren't coming any closer; I tried the 350 yd shot and the deer loped off like she wasn't hit
*Stayed put til 10:30; couldn't find any sign of a hit on the doe; found a dead spike near where I shot at the doe (been dead for a couple of weeks)
*Checked a camera about 100 yds from the barn and had a picture of the nice 9 point I'd been hunting (pictured below) at 5:40 this morning mad

*Got skunked this afternoon
*It was still a good day to be in the woods! I'm just "venting" a little because I know y'all will listen laugh
Posted By: Cuz-Pat

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 01/31/15 10:59 PM

I saw a spike with 12" antlers and two button-heads this afternoon. Saw nothing this morning.
Posted By: Aught Six

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 08:01 AM

My hunting partner and I were in the steepest, meanest terrain on the tract we hunt. He shot a big doe at 10:10 am and she ran straight downhill, all the way to the bottom of the canyon.

Did I mention it was steep? We had a very hard time walking down there to find her. The whole time we're wondering 'what now?'

He dressed her out down there and we decided to climb back to the 4 wheeler (about 300 feet of elevation above us) and unload the gear we're carrying and regroup. No way we can drag the deer to it, even with two of us. A lot of the climb up is scrambling over rocks to the next shelf. The climb with what we were carrying winded us.

We go back to the cabin to regroup and change into cooler clothes. We decide we're going to quarter her out and pack out the quarters. So we empty our packs and take some trash bags. So we got back down there and got 'er done. Zipped the quarters up in our packs, which weighed about 30-35 lbs each. It wasn't too bad, kind of like backpacking actually. Just had to go slow and zig zag up the hill. It took about an hour all told for the second part of the job.

Posted By: centralala

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 09:23 AM

It never ends. Dove in Sept.-Oct. Deer Nov.-Jan. Hogs Feb.- mid Mar. Turkeys Mid Mar.-April. Coyotes/Hogs May-Aug. I'm in the woods with a gun almost every day of the year. Took this morning off to get some cameras out. Looking for hogs this afternoon. Tough life.
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Aught Six
My hunting partner and I were in the steepest, meanest terrain on the tract we hunt. He shot a big doe at 10:10 am and she ran straight downhill, all the way to the bottom of the canyon.

Did I mention it was steep? We had a very hard time walking down there to find her. The whole time we're wondering 'what now?'

He dressed her out down there and we decided to climb back to the 4 wheeler (about 300 feet of elevation above us) and unload the gear we're carrying and regroup. No way we can drag the deer to it, even with two of us. A lot of the climb up is scrambling over rocks to the next shelf. The climb with what we were carrying winded us.

We go back to the cabin to regroup and change into cooler clothes. We decide we're going to quarter her out and pack out the quarters. So we empty our packs and take some trash bags. So we got back down there and got 'er done. Zipped the quarters up in our packs, which weighed about 30-35 lbs each. It wasn't too bad, kind of like backpacking actually. Just had to go slow and zig zag up the hill. It took about an hour all told for the second part of the job.

Hats off to you guys! All that for a doe. thumbup

Believe I'd quit before I worked that hard for a deer.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 10:50 AM

Sat with my dad in the am didn't see anything, took the wife to the band perry concert yesterday evening. I've still got the southern zone to hunt though so technically not my last day.

Btw congrats on a great buck!
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 12:26 PM

Today was my last hunt for the season. Saw a small buck, 3 does, and 2 game wardens. They came in quietly...til one of their phones started ringing lol. Oh well. It was a good season overall. Wife killed a doe, BIL killed his first deer which was a stud, and I killed a decent 8 point. Just hoping my dad can put one down next weekend.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 02:17 PM

Hunted the afternoon, had a deer - gender unknown - come in literally right at "I'm about to get my stuff and leave" time. Had been listening to squirrels in the leaves and figured this one was just another bushytail.

I stood up to leave, deer was about 25 yards away, snorted and ran about 20 feet, stopped, walked around a little bit. Couldn't figure out what I was because it was almost dark in the woods. I listened to it shuffle around a bit until it got quiet and slipped out the other direction.

Now the fun begins to work on the land and get some things in place for 2015-16 season, including meeting the neighbor landowners to see how they hunt and so we all know each other, getting boundary lines marked and some other work.
Posted By: Bacon_58

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 04:19 PM

The season ended on a good note(somewhat). My dad killed a 6 pt that I posted video of earlier in the season. I really wanted to let him walk a couple of years.

My son and I killed does to help keep the buck/doe ratio in balance. My son saw 2 nice bucks and I saw a small buck that we are looking forward to seeing next year.

Now it's on to spring planting, stand placement and mineral supplements.
Posted By: Smells

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 05:23 PM

Tried a hail Mary in the afternoon. Set up my 3D deer target as a decoy around 12:00 pm within bow range of my stand. Came back about an hour later and sat in another stand about 100 yards away to see if I could call something up. Alternated doe bleat can and grunts fairly aggressively for about 2 hours with no results. Got down at 3:00 pm (this was my plan), walked up to the house to pee and get an apple and came back to the stand with the "decoy" around 3:15. Continued with the bleat can and grunt but not as often as before. About 15 min before dark, with nothing at all happening, I decided "well might as well see what will happen" so I pulled out the bleat can and got on it and didn't get off of it. Just short bleats but with maybe 3-10 seconds between bleats continuously. I didn't time it but after maybe 3-5 minutes of this something starts moving through the brush in the opposite direction I expected about 100 yds away moving from my 2 o'clock to my 10:00 o'clock in an arc of about 100 yds. The animal was not running but did have what I'll call a purposeful pace and wasn't make any attempt to be stealthy. At first I thought maybe it's a buck trying to circle and pick up her scent but this seems unlikely because in order to do so he would have to make it to my 6:00 o'clolck and to do so would have to come out in the open somewhere around my 8:00 o'clock. I lost track and I'm sure it moved on out. I'm thinking it was probably a doe that had been bedded down near me and probably had been there since before I showed up. I never saw it though and for all I know it could have been a coyote.

If I'm right or even it was a buck, I'd dearly love to know what was going through it's head all afternoon when I would occasionally hit the bleat can or the grunt with absolutely no reaction vs. when I finally started on the can and didn't stop. It obviously heard me all afternoon and never twitched. I honestly think I just became too annoying for it to stick around any more and just moved on in search of a little peace and quiet. Anybody ever done this before?

Just another deer hunting mystery for me to not figure out?
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Smells
Tried a hail Mary in the afternoon. Set up my 3D deer target as a decoy around 12:00 pm within bow range of my stand. Came back about an hour later and sat in another stand about 100 yards away to see if I could call something up. Alternated doe bleat can and grunts fairly aggressively for about 2 hours with no results. Got down at 3:00 pm (this was my plan), walked up to the house to pee and get an apple and came back to the stand with the "decoy" around 3:15. Continued with the bleat can and grunt but not as often as before. About 15 min before dark, with nothing at all happening, I decided "well might as well see what will happen" so I pulled out the bleat can and got on it and didn't get off of it. Just short bleats but with maybe 3-10 seconds between bleats continuously. I didn't time it but after maybe 3-5 minutes of this something starts moving through the brush in the opposite direction I expected about 100 yds away moving from my 2 o'clock to my 10:00 o'clock in an arc of about 100 yds. The animal was not running but did have what I'll call a purposeful pace and wasn't make any attempt to be stealthy. At first I thought maybe it's a buck trying to circle and pick up her scent but this seems unlikely because in order to do so he would have to make it to my 6:00 o'clolck and to do so would have to come out in the open somewhere around my 8:00 o'clock. I lost track and I'm sure it moved on out. I'm thinking it was probably a doe that had been bedded down near me and probably had been there since before I showed up. I never saw it though and for all I know it could have been a coyote.

If I'm right or even it was a buck, I'd dearly love to know what was going through it's head all afternoon when I would occasionally hit the bleat can or the grunt with absolutely no reaction vs. when I finally started on the can and didn't stop. It obviously heard me all afternoon and never twitched. I honestly think I just became too annoying for it to stick around any more and just moved on in search of a little peace and quiet. Anybody ever done this before?

Just another deer hunting mystery for me to not figure out?

No doubt, a Squatch
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Tell us about your last day of the season... - 02/01/15 07:37 PM

I tagged out on this buck. I literally had about 1.461 seconds to decide to shoot or not, so I went with it. Turns out he was a lot smaller than I thought, and I sort of regretted shooting him. That all changed a little while later. I had told a family at church that I'd try to get them a deer for their freezer, and when I sent the guy the pic below you'd have thought I was giving them a gold brick! They were extremely thankful for the deer, and it made my season end on a great note. This season has really been a good one for me, and I'm very thankful to God for it all. thumbup

© 2024 ALDEER.COM