Aldeer.com

Coyote Impact on Deer

Posted By: mdcart

Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 11:24 AM

State game department to study coyote impact on deer

The only good coyote to study is a dead one. What are your thoughts.
Posted By: JohnGibby

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 11:38 AM

Interesting. Looks like we need to hit them in June and July before the fawns start dropping in August and September.
Posted By: n2deer

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 01:36 PM

I think the coyotes effect the deer population more than some think.
Posted By: HawggyStyle

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 02:09 PM

I talked to a biologist about having an effect on coyotes, and he told me that, I would have to hunt coyotes harder than I hunt deer, to make an impact on their population. He also said the biggest problem for predation of young deer and fawns is local dogs.
He went on to explain that coyotes kill to survive, and will consume the entire kill. Where local dogs kill for sport and fun, they may eat some of the kill but mostly play with it, and then go try to find something else they can chase, because they are getting fed by their owners.
I wish AL would put a bounty on them like some counties in the State of Texas. http://texassportsmansassociation.org/coyote.htm
The main reason they have these types of bounties is because of the goat and sheep farming, but I have hunted places in Texas where coyotes or bobcats were not to be found, because of the bounty.
Posted By: Austin_243

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: n2deer

Shoot coyote so it will run off and be weak. the rest of the pack will kill him and eat him. Keep em away from your deer two ways...

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:09 PM

+1 for the bounty idea. I bet they would raise the license fees to pay for it though.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: JohnGibby
Interesting. Looks like we need to hit them in June and July before the fawns start dropping in August and September.

and when they have pups . i have no problem with the pups starving .
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Austin_243

Shoot coyote so it will run off and be weak. the rest of the pack will kill him and eat him. Keep em away from your deer two ways...

No
Posted By: charlie

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:17 PM

Dogs are a huge problem but nobody wants to get into that.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:20 PM

You also have to take some things biologists say with a little skepticism. Just about every study done will have another study done a few years later that contradicts it. There are biologists that post here that have said in the past that you can never shoot too many does. Most would disagree with that now as well.
Posted By: bill

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:24 PM

I have no doubt coyotes have a significant impact on the deer population and I also have no doubt that all the hunting in the world won't curb the coyote numbers. A statewide trapping effort would be the main effective method of controlling their numbers.
Posted By: chevyman

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:34 PM

Just a personal observation here.I have lived in Kansas and Texas.These two states had and still have large coyote populations..They had them long before we ever had them in Alabama.Both states have enviable wild game populations.Kansas has a great deer herd and more game birds and game bird species than we will ever have.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Austin_243
Originally Posted By: n2deer

rofl I'll put that on my bucket list.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:46 PM

I bet coyotes have less of an impact on the deer population in AL than most think.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 05:58 PM

We see a ton of coyotes and shoot everyone one we can. We still have very high deer numbers
Posted By: mirage243

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I bet coyotes have less of an impact on the deer population in AL than most think.

I bet they have more of an impact than you think.
Posted By: MorningAir

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 06:32 PM

I had 2 does, on 1 camera the first week of bow season. One had 2 twin fawns, the other a single fawn. I got pictures every day for a week, then 1 picture of a coyote. No deer for 3 days, then, the doe with twin fawns came back and only had 1 fawn. The other doe returned with zero fawns. The fawns never showed back up, so I assume the yote caught them. Other than deer, I think they deplete the rabbit population. I used to see 8 or 10 rabbits every morning driving in before daylight. Now that coyotes are everywhere, I might see 3 rabbits all deer season driving into the lease, and hardly ever see rabbit turds in the pine rows anymore.
Posted By: CNC

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 07:00 PM

Originally Posted By: mirage243

I bet it depends on your habitat.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 07:37 PM

A buddy owns land in illionis. His neighbor that joins his proptery said he found a coyote den on his place and put a camera on it. He claims the coyote brought a fawn a day in the den for 12 days in a row. Then pics of pups coming out of den before he killed em. Now this is just what he told me so I don't know how true it is.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 07:43 PM

x2 Almost every night I get a pic of 2-3 yotes cruising through. Ive also had 2 fawns go missing this year. Yotes get the blame from me.
Posted By: garyo

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 07:48 PM

the auburn study on ft rucker 2013-14 over half the fawns drop were killed by hog or yotes.
Posted By: JBL

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 07:56 PM

Originally Posted By: garyo
the auburn study on ft rucker 2013-14 over half the fawns drop were killed by hog or yotes.

That would be pretty close with what happened at our place. 4 dropped 2 left.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: JBL

That would be pretty close with what happened at our place. 4 dropped 2 left.

Consider yourself fortunate that you have 2 left.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 08:31 PM

Doubtful

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 08:50 PM

Doubtful

Is Tuscaloosa a planet? . . . . . . . you don't get out much do ya? grin

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 09:01 PM

Doubtful

Is Tuscaloosa a planet? . . . . . . . you don't get out much do ya? grin

I get out a little bit. wink
Posted By: North40R

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 09:13 PM

I personally think habitat and available food sources have a larger role in deer population than predation. That being said once you've done all you can do to improve habitat and increase the carrying capacity of your property then it's time to manage predators.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 09:41 PM

Not here but can easily happen.

Coyotes kill horse
Posted By: lukeparker22

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/26/15 11:06 PM

coyotes suck
Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 01:49 PM

Over half the fawns that were collared on Ft Rucker died...true.

We did not document any wild pigs killing fawns...but it has been documented as happening...although it hasn't been documented often.

The reality is that every deer population (no matter how healthy or how few predators) has >50% mortality of the fawn crop each year. Does on average will produce 1.7 fawns each year (100 does will drop 170 fawns). Extremely high recruitment rates (fawn:doe ratios when the fawns are about 6 months of age) are around 0.7...meaning only 70 fawns are around for every 100 does. This means that 100 ourt of 170 fawns die (just shy of 60%). Marginal recruitment rates are about 0.5 (50 fawns/100 does...70% mortality rate).

If you can keep your mortality rate less than 70%, then you are probably OK. Mortality rates >70% is where we are likely getting into trouble.

Keep in mind that fawns die due to LOTS of things other than coyotes and other predators. Malnutrition, abandonment, accidents, parasitism, disease, and others are all significant factors of mortality in even healthy populations...but obviously worse in overpopulated herds.

The point is, just because you see fawns disappearing, or you know that coyotes are predating some fawns doesn't mean that your herd is being negatively impacted. It's only when that predation starts to cause overall fawn mortality rates to exceed 70% that you start run into problems.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 02:01 PM

so its kinda like they don't kill most calves they just find them dead ??? it looks like they killed them ???
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Steve Ditchkoff

Over half the fawns that were collared on Ft Rucker died...true.

We did not document any wild pigs killing fawns...but it has been documented as happening...although it hasn't been documented often.

The reality is that every deer population (no matter how healthy or how few predators) has >50% mortality of the fawn crop each year. Does on average will produce 1.7 fawns each year (100 does will drop 170 fawns). Extremely high recruitment rates (fawn:doe ratios when the fawns are about 6 months of age) are around 0.7...meaning only 70 fawns are around for every 100 does. This means that 100 ourt of 170 fawns die (just shy of 60%). Marginal recruitment rates are about 0.5 (50 fawns/100 does...70% mortality rate).

If you can keep your mortality rate less than 70%, then you are probably OK. Mortality rates >70% is where we are likely getting into trouble.

Keep in mind that fawns die due to LOTS of things other than coyotes and other predators. Malnutrition, abandonment, accidents, parasitism, disease, and others are all significant factors of mortality in even healthy populations...but obviously worse in overpopulated herds.

The point is, just because you see fawns disappearing, or you know that coyotes are predating some fawns doesn't mean that your herd is being negatively impacted. It's only when that predation starts to cause overall fawn mortality rates to exceed 70% that you start run into problems.

That plus 2 doe a day limit for years equals a negative number.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 02:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frankie
so its kinda like they don't kill most calves they just find them dead ??? it looks like they killed them ???

I'm not sure what you're seeing...I'm not there. But, I can tell you that counting dead fawns doesn't tell you anything, because you don't know how many you started with. The top deer minds in the country are all saying that fawn recruitment rates are the best information you can collect regarding your fawn crop. And...it can be done with game cameras...which most people have.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 03:19 PM

Shoot the yotes when you can but trap 'em year-round or let someone do it.

Hunting them is fun. Trapping them is more effective and beneficial in the long run, just like with hogs. Do both.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 03:39 PM

I can't believe we're discussing this again slap

Good luck Dr. D...

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 04:20 PM

I'm not sure what you're seeing...I'm not there. But, I can tell you that counting dead fawns doesn't tell you anything, because you don't know how many you started with. The top deer minds in the country are all saying that fawn recruitment rates are the best information you can collect regarding your fawn crop. And...it can be done with game cameras...which most people have.

sorry i think you took what i said wrong .

what i'm saying is like most calves, they die and coyotes find it and it just looks like they killed it. why you see so much deer hair in the sh!t .

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 06:43 PM

ok , what i'm getting at .

Steve Ditchkoff,, NightHunter , Matt or who ever .

do you think coyotes or more of a scavenger or a predator when they utilize deer meat as a diet source .

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 08:01 PM

Thanks for keeping me on track

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/27/15 09:23 PM

When it comes to deer, coyotes are much more of a scavenger than predator.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 08:42 AM

all they do is studies, never do anything constructive.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 09:10 AM

I don't think they are as bad on mature deer, but I'm sure they are detrimental in the early fall on fawns.

However, they are devastating on turkey and small game like rabbits.
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 09:11 AM

Originally Posted By: deerman24
all they do is studies, never do anything constructive.

making the facts clear is constructive
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 01:04 PM

I think they have a fairly significant impact on deer, last year I had pictures of a coyote killing a full grown buck. Some of you may remember, I posted it. It was 2 coyotes at first attacking the deer. But one finished him off, rite in front of my camera

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 01:27 PM

Guys they got these dogs that are from yotes cross bred w/dogs & wolfs .coydog & coywolf there bigger & more aggressive a GW said we don't have coywolf but we do have coydogs. bigger chest & round ears thin legs .I have not seen then yete. have you seen or heard about them.
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 01:32 PM

Originally Posted By: I_hate_poachers
I think they have a fairly significant impact on deer, last year I had pictures of a coyote killing a full grown buck. Some of you may remember, I posted it. It was 2 coyotes at first attacking the deer. But one finished him off, rite in front of my camera

Just found your thread and bumped it in the pics section. Amazing pics.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 01:42 PM

Thanks chris, its in trailcam pics forum, for those of you that dont think coyotes effect deer that much, or havnt seen it, check it out.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 02:20 PM

Looks like that deer was in poor health before the coyotes got it.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 02:36 PM

Looks like that deer was in poor health before the coyotes got it.

might be why he had drop the antlers too .

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 02:40 PM

at least it looks like its a he by one picture . looks like a spot on his head is where a horn might have been ???

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 02:53 PM

Yes deer had cast his antlers, poor health? Dont look like it to me, he was fat, looks extremely healthy to me. Amazing how 2 ppl can look at same picture and see something totally different. And dont think casting has much to do with it, several of my bucks cast early last year and looked healthy, he was not the only one. Only thing that looks wrong with him is his rearend, were the coyotes were gnawing on him. Other than that, he looks healthy IMO

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/28/15 03:13 PM

Yes deer had cast his antlers, poor health? Dont look like it to me, he was fat, looks extremely healthy to me. Amazing how 2 ppl can look at same picture and see something totally different. And dont think casting has much to do with it, several of my bucks cast early last year and looked healthy, he was not the only one. Only thing that looks wrong with him is his rearend, were the coyotes were gnawing on him. Other than that, he looks healthy IMO

That's what I thought.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/29/15 02:17 PM

sorry i think you took what i said wrong .

what i'm saying is like most calves, they die and coyotes find it and it just looks like they killed it. why you see so much deer hair in the sh!t .

This has always been a significant debate among wildlife biologists and researchers. Without question, some deer hair (maybe a little...maybe a lot) that is found in coyote scat is from coyotes scavenging dead deer. But, it's difficult to tell for sure unless you can get on a dead fawn quickly. I do know from conducting multiple studies with radio-collared fawns that they die from a large number of causes unrelated to predation, and that this non-predation mortality rate can be as great or greater than predation rates. But, this can vary significantly by location.

Sorry that I can't give you a more specific answer.

Re: Coyote Impact on Deer - 01/29/15 02:25 PM

I haven't looked at the pictures, and so am not stating an opinion on the condition of the buck in the pictures.

But, bucks shed their antlers based upon hormone levels....specifically testosterone. As T levels drop, the deer begin to go the process of shedding their antlers. What has been found is that bucks that start to approach poor condition due to heavy rutting, injury, heavy parasites or disease, can see a decline in testosterone that can lead to earlier shedding of antlers. These deer may not necessarily look to be in poor condition, but could just be experiencing a significant decline in resources or body condition.

Once again...I'm not commenting on the deer in that picture. Just throwing some information out there.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM