Aldeer.com

Does Anyone Still Use . . .

Posted By: Vernon Tull

Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 07:57 PM

the doe-in-heat bleat can that you turn over? I quit using mine years ago after no success, but my brother-in-law killed several young bucks using the can. I don't think a big, mature buck ever came running to the can's bleat for him.

Was that a fad that has disappeared?
Posted By: klay

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 08:20 PM

I have never blindly called one up with it, but the biggest one I've killed, nice 10 pointer, came in to it. He came in down wind sent checking a scrape that I didn't even know was there until I got down looking for him. He was in some thick stuff, all I could see was the rack, hit the call one time, he turned and came straight up the mountain, about 40 yards from me.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 08:32 PM

I've killed a few mature deer with it.
Posted By: hoggin

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 08:37 PM

Buddy of mine has killed a wall full, full of BIG deer using it. I have never killed one at all with one and we hunted the same place for years.
Posted By: deerkiller24

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 09:07 PM

Yup..killed a few with it.
Posted By: 270koc

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 09:27 PM

Two were killed on our club while using the primos can call today
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 09:37 PM

I blind called this buck in during archery season using the primos can and a friction call and let him walk. A teenager killed him opening day of rifle season in a 175 acre bean field just down the road.

Posted By: BamaFan64

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 09:53 PM

I killed a nice ten point a few years ago probably five minutes after using one. I only saw one time where a deer spooked when I used one. Most of the time, if I had deer in the food plot, they'd look around some, but go back eating like nothing ever happened. In the end, I don't know if they help or hurt.
Posted By: Austin_243

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 10:04 PM

There a trick to useing it... make quick noie by turning can fast... if you just turn it and let it make long noise then that is a Alert sound and makes em run away !!!

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 10:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Austin_243
There a trick to useing it... make quick noie by turning can fast... if you just turn it and let it make long noise then that is a Alert sound and makes em run away !!!

I agree with using the can in a faster motion. I have always been real aggressive when using the can. I will blind call at least once every five minutes until a deer comes in. Best buck I have killed using the can was a 6 1/2 year old 7 point with a 20 1/4 inside spread in Conecuh County on January 28th 2003, was 10 yards from the base of the tree when I killed him.
Posted By: Bacon_58

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 10:30 PM

I killed 2 of my biggest deer and a coyote using one.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 10:43 PM

threw mine in the kitchen garbage can...
Posted By: Hammerdown

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 10:58 PM

Buddy of mine killed a sho nuff good one with it this year.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 11:06 PM

I just ain't very confident in it.
Posted By: Vernon Tull

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/24/15 11:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
threw mine in the kitchen garbage can...

Yeah, me too. I used it for two or three seasons during the rut in conjunction with some Code Blue estrous doe, but finally gave up on it.
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 05:58 AM

I use to use one and had it work on a 6 point and he came running hard from several 100 yards away, he ran directly under my tree and stopped and was grunting hard. I shot him between shoulder blades thru spine and chest cavity and killed him quickly.
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 06:00 AM

I have an app on my phone with the recordings from live deer calling, I tried the doe in estrus call a time or 2, but no success.
Posted By: frezznh2o

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: fireman176
I have an app on my phone with the recordings from live deer calling, I tried the doe in estrus call a time or 2, but no success.

I think electronic calls for deer are illegal. I know they are for turkeys

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 11:35 AM

Originally Posted By: frezznh2o
Originally Posted By: fireman176

I think electronic calls for deer are illegal. I know they are for turkeys

If I am not mistaken you can use an electronic call for coyote, fox, bobcat, deer, raccoon and crow in Alabama.
Posted By: Wally2833

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 12:19 PM

For the ones who have had success with the can. Did you turn it over fast like one of the posters said? How often did you call? Thanks
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 01:04 PM

When primos first came out with the can, literally the first time i used the can followed by some tending grunts (its what they did on tv smile ) a really nice 7 point RAN into the field while I was bent over putting the can and grunt call back in my sweet fanny pack. The girl I was dating at the time double lunged him at 100 yards. That was 10-11 years ago and I have yet to have another deer acknowledge it has made a sound.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Does Anyone Still Use . . . - 01/25/15 05:20 PM

My oldest son killed his best deer with the can. He shot and missed the deer and the buck was headed down the mountain when he turn the can over and he turned around and came straight back to him. Even after he had been shot at he was looking for that hot doe. I have never called in a big buck but have stopped or turned around a lot of little ones.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM