Aldeer.com

Ok how many deer could you have killed

Posted By: globe

Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 12:33 PM

Since the "NO Deer" topic keeps coming up. How many deer have you let go or could have killed this year? I've lost count myself, I do every year. Probably 15 different bucks and 30+ does is what I put my scope on and decided not to shoot. Everybody in my family has killed deer and let multiple deer pass. 14 yr old, 9 yr old, 89 yr old, my wife and myself. The big ones have dodged us this year, but we've killed deer.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 01:01 PM

I've passed up over 15 bucks this year with my bow/gun.. we are trying to only kill mature deer and we have only killed 6 does off of 1000 acres this year.. other club members have passed bucks up all year as well.. its great to have everyone on the same page. we have had two big 8's that we don't have any pics of killed so far
Posted By: 14baseball

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 01:16 PM

I personnally have seen around 19 buck this year and that is down from previous years when I saw 29 by this time, due to the lack of hunting on my part. We manage as well. But try to have a family atmosphere where kids and wives are welcome. I have many hunters that are trophy only, while others opt to use our choice buck rule. It is trying to have a balance. When your a club such as we are and have 4500 acres on the Conecuh River(creek)trying to balance management and maintain membership and tropy can be quite challenging. We think we are doing a good job.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 01:19 PM

I saw 18 doe yesterday evening. Seen toooooons only shot 3 though, nice 10 pt. and 2 doe. I enjoy seeing them alive just as much as I do dead. I'll shoot a real nice buck and then doe for meat. That's how I was raised hunting.
Posted By: QDMAlan

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 14baseball
I personnally have seen around 19 buck this year and that is down from previous years when I saw 29 by this time, due to the lack of hunting on my part. We manage as well. But try to have a family atmosphere where kids and wives are welcome. I have many hunters that are trophy only, while others opt to use our choice buck rule. It is trying to have a balance. When your a club such as we are and have 4500 acres on the Conecuh River(creek)trying to balance management and maintain membership and tropy can be quite challenging. We think we are doing a good job.

You guys are the "Conecuh River hunt club" right? Something I have seen a lot of clubs your size do is border out areas where you change the rules at. So if you have guys who are trophy hunting, they have a thousand acres (or whatever you planned out) that is for only trophy hunting. Same if you had a group that just wanted a section to bow hunt only.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 01:44 PM

Only saw deer on 4 hunts, so 4.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 02:09 PM

I wouldn't even be able to come up with a number. Guessing i've went 30 times, with an average of 2-3 deer each sit, so 60-90, i guess. Took 2-8ptrs and 1 doe.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 02:23 PM

If I shot everyone I have seen? Or how many could I have legally have killed?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 02:26 PM

Close to 100 deer I could have killed. I've killed 10% of them.
Posted By: Blessed

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 02:32 PM

I saw over 20 does in pasteurs heading back to the sign out Sunday afternoon , i havent seen that many this year while hunting i would say 25 is a good number.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 02:39 PM

I've been pretty much bow only, except for two hunts with the m/l. I could have killed 2 with the m/l, and maybe 50ish with my bow. That number is skewed by a weekend on a really good place, where I could have killed 15-20 easily. I've killed 2 does and a 7pt, all with an arra
Posted By: LUMPY

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 03:10 PM

only seen 18 deer all year....I've let 4 does walk and 6 bucks walk....the rest were either no shot or out of bow range
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 03:39 PM

As far as individual deer, I'm going to estimate that I've let 15-20 walk (bucks, does and fawns). However, several of these instances are the same deer on mulitple occassions. So that's probably closer to 50 passed shots.
Posted By: bgarrett

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 03:45 PM

50 does/fawns and 8 bucks. killed 2, However If I killed the does in the beginning I wouldn't have seen them the 2nd and 3rd time. I'm sure most on here it would be the same. I have a mama that has produced twins 2 years running. She have a split ear and she loves to hunt for me I think.
Posted By: 280Rem.

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 03:52 PM

Close to 100 or so.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 04:11 PM

Last year was my first season hunting and I shot at every single deer that I saw ... I missed a spike with a bow and killed 3 does with my rifle.

This year I put one doe in the freezer at the beginning of the season and then started focusing on getting my first racked buck. I have passed on at least 8 does IIRC.

So ... 12 deer not including the spike I missed
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 04:14 PM

I have passed on 15+ bucks already. No telling how many doe.

Haven't passed on a single pig! LOL
Posted By: RyanO98

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 04:18 PM

I dislike this thread!! I've seen ZERO in the woods. I must stink no'a days
Posted By: Big Rack

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 05:10 PM

On the Lease:
On 23 Hunts.
61 Doe/yearling, 17 Bucks, 78 Total
Skunked 4 times

On Family Land
15 Hunts
41 Doe/Yearling, 16 Bucks, 57 Total
Skunked 1 time

This is considerably less than previous years.

Have killed 1 buck this season and no does.
Posted By: garyo

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 05:18 PM

Ryan your not alone 10 full days stay still on a confused place all day 00000
Posted By: Dquailhunter

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 05:40 PM

All I can say is you guys who see as many deer as what you say, don't take it for granted or think it can't change. Six years ago I could pretty much see deer everytime I went. Now I might see four a year. It's a lot more enjoyable being able to actually watch deer or know you have the opportunity to while you are sitting there.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 05:57 PM

One my personal property while hunting two does and no bucks.
On one club zero deer sightings but have only been three times.
On my other club I have let four bucks walk and twenty does and fawns go.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:01 PM

A doggone buttload. Have seen a pile of deer this year, including lots of shootable bucks. Saw plenty in bow season, but too far to shoot. Have had the most bizarre luck all gun season, botched up multiple opportunities. Have actually fired a shot at two "mounters" (one w/ bow and one w/ gun)...shot a foot over his back with my bow, and not real sure if I hit or missed the one with a gun. I would guess all in all I've seen 25 or 30 bucks. I saw 12 bucks and 10 does the opening morning of gun season...only one of them was big enough to make me want to shoot it, but he was 265 yards and I had a slug gun. That buck I mentioned above that I didn't know if I hit or not was 150+ with a slug gun, and he had another decent buck with him. Plus I saw another good buck that same morning, but he was too far and running.
Posted By: 270koc

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:18 PM

Ok you guys that are seeing a lot of deer, how many are you shooting?
If you guys are seeing 20-60 deer so far this season and you can kill a doe a day you guys out to be layin the smack down, buying extra freezers and keeping the processors hopping. And if you are not killing half of the deer you see then why not cause it sounds like an overpopulation of deer.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: 270koc
If you guys are seeing 20-60 deer so far this season and you can kill a doe a day you guys out to be layin the smack down, buying extra freezers and keeping the processors hopping. And if you are not killing half of the deer you see then why not cause it sounds like an overpopulation of deer.

Seeing 20-60 deer over a whole season is hardly an overpopulation. There are also folks seeing very few. I'm tired of folks "doing the world a favor" by killing deer for the sake of killing.
Posted By: buck_buster

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Remington270

Seeing 20-60 deer over a whole season is hardly an overpopulation. There are also folks seeing very few. I'm tired of folks "doing the world a favor" by killing deer for the sake of killing.

Thank you. I like watching my deer 8-10 does/yearlings each time I go. If I get a good buck I count it as a bonus. I may not be the smartest man in the room, overpopulated in deer? That is like have to much money.... crazy
Posted By: bgarrett

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:47 PM

Many of us are seeing the same deer multiple times. And there are as many that enjoy watching them more than killing them. It doesn't matter if I see 80, I only need 2 a year, or three if I am making jerky.
Posted By: MacNasty

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:50 PM

Alabama: Ive seen a grand total of 7 deer at my club in 35-45 hunts.

Wisconsin: About 15 in two days. Shot a 9 point and doe

Mississippi: Roughly 20 or so in a week. No bucks.

Safe to say its been one of the worst seasons of my life.
Posted By: IDOT

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:51 PM

1 spike and 1 monster that I missed my opportunity on.
Posted By: buck_buster

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bgarrett

Many of us are seeing the same deer multiple times. And there are as many that enjoy watching them more than killing them. It doesn't matter if I see 80, I only need 2 a year, or three if I am making jerky.

I am seeing the same deer most of the time. I am with you, I enjoy watching them almost getting attached to them. grin I will not pull a trigger on a doe on certain land we own. I only shoot bucks that I like. For example I was watching a small six and 11 does/ yearlings and 10 minutes later a bugger much maturer 6 came in I killed him. First time I had pulled the trigger in 3 years in that stand.
Posted By: 270koc

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 07:02 PM

I was being a little sarcastic on my last post. My point is that most of the guys that are saying don't take away my liberal doe season, that say they need to manage their deer why aren't they killing more deer? Because most don't want to have a problem of not seeing deer yet they say more deer need to be killed.

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 07:10 PM

Ive seen over 200.

Had one morning where I saw 18, on other am hunts in a clear cut I saw 10 -12 a few times, a few afternoon hunts with 10 to 12 each in food plots.

All were smaller bucks or does, with only four shooters sighted all year but no shot opportunity and one maginal shooter which I harvested.(16" wide 7 pt)

Only deer I shot all year, but he filled the freezer.

I saw Lots of two year old eights and 6s in One area...alot of does and 1 1/2 yr old bucks with a few 2 1/2 yr olds at the other place I hunt.

We didnt get near the big buck pics this year at the one spot as well...the other spot we got quite a few.

Ive learned along time ago to not be a game hog..to ONLY shoot what I NEED and to leave game for others to harvest as well.

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 07:12 PM

I did pass on a couple 3 1/2 year old 8 points that I regret...I just wanted to see them at 5.

though my one buddy harvested the one so that was good.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 07:16 PM

I've had the chance to kill probably 40 10-15 bucks. I've killed two does and one buck and stuck two does that weren't recovered.
Posted By: jnall

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 08:29 PM

One doe this year
Posted By: WhiteCityHunter

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 08:56 PM

I've seen 30+ deer between my place and my hunting club this year. Now that doesn't mean I could have shot them all because on most of those occasions I saw multiple deer at a time and there's no way I can shoot everyone I see. So I'll just go with 7 or 8 I could have shot. So far ive shot one, but 90% of the bucks here hit the ground between MLK holiday and Valentine's Day give it take a few days.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/20/15 10:38 PM

I've seen a total of 5 deer this year. My son shot two of those, a 3 point and a doe.
Posted By: 30 T/C

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession
I did pass on a couple 3 1/2 year old 8 points that I regret...I just wanted to see them at 5.

though my one buddy harvested the one so that was good.

Can I be your buddy too? I'd like to see one at 5 too. haha
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 07:51 AM

Just beacause your seeing a lot of deer, doesn't mean you have an overpopulation of deer, it just means your hunting smart, and not putting too much pressure on them. Some people hunt foodplots all the time, and 100's of deer thru the years have been shot on that same plot, and finally the deer just quit coming out on it during the daytime. That doesn't mean you've killed too many deer, you've just burned out that stand. Some people, as 2dogs put it, can't see deer at a deer petting zoo.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 08:40 AM

many this year probably 15 bucks some nice but I have not shot any. I enjoy the hunt not the kill
Posted By: Morgan

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 09:42 AM

8 total
3 bucks
5 does
Killed a 120ish 10 pt.

Lots of pressure on our place.
Posted By: Vernon Tull

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 01:03 PM

Could have killed? Hmmmm . . . zero deer! I've had zero shots at a deer of any sex or size in 12 hunts. You'd think I'd wise up and take up stamp collecting or heavy drinking.
Posted By: BassCat

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 01:05 PM

I've let 13 bucks walk and too may does to count. Only shoot mature bucks. One of the bucks may have been mature it was too dark to get good look at him but his rack was outside ears but couldn't see his body well enough to determine if mature shooter so let him go.
Posted By: booner

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 01:36 PM

Too many does to count and have seen probably somewhere around 15-20 bucks that I let pass. I have killed a nice 124" 8pt already and I always hold off for something I'd be proud of. Hopefully within the next two weeks of vacation I will fill the remaining two slots on my license.
Posted By: globe

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 03:55 PM

Looks like the MAJORITY of us are seeing plenty of deer. I'd say calling 10-15 bucks and 20-40 does a down year speaks volumes as to our deer population.

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 03:58 PM

Globe, those deer sighting numbers are good to excellent. But if you'll notice even some folks who are averaging 5-6 deer per hunt are stating that is way down from previous years. People are used to the good old days of expanding deer herds without predator influences. Those days are long gone, and people aren't used to it yet.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 04:07 PM

Saw probably 120-plus in 3.5 days in Illinois bowhunting. Could have killed 3-4 does and 3-4 bucks. Had I been rifle/slug hunting I could have killed a passel of 'em.

None in Alabama yet. First one I see gets perforated. Possibly Saturday or Sunday.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 04:15 PM

My sightings are down this year, but havnt hunted as much. Ive prob seen 30 or so combined all season, 10 of those on one hunt. But to answer your question, I could have killed around zero or so, hell ive missed every time I do decide to try to shoot.
Posted By: AlabamaSwamper

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/21/15 08:08 PM

3yr old 110lb doe
3yr old 150lb 8pt
5yr old 190lb 8pt
3yr old 145lb 8pt

Really don't know how many I passed. I only hunted once since November 29 and I killed the last 8 that day and I only killed him because he showed up on camera that night before. Yeah, drove to cameras and killed a buck that afternoon.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/22/15 02:38 PM

I simply don't believe in overpopulation of wild, free-range deer, or at least not in Alabama with our habitat/terrain/flora.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/22/15 02:44 PM

I have sat just under 130 hours on stand on one property and seen 4 deer. Had 1 shot opportunity.

Another property: probably 16 hours and seen 10 deer with 0 shot opportunities.

Both in Jackson County
Posted By: MoonDog

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/22/15 10:06 PM

I could have killed all the ones I let walk... grin A dad gum bunch Id have to say. Been in the woods too much and can't keep track. I'm ready for season to be over. Feel like as long as it's in I have to go or I might be missing something. Ready for some turkeys and crappie fishing with the kids!!!!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/22/15 10:51 PM

All I wanted.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/22/15 11:17 PM

I've got 2 small leases and 1 small piece of private land to hunt. 1 lease is in lower Alabama and I haven't been yet. On the lease I've seen
1 eight point, 1 four point and 11 does
Private land
1 big 6 point, 1 spike, 4 does
Killed a spike

Total 5 bucks 15 does

No green fields, just woods on these tracts and I ready for turkey season!
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/23/15 05:35 AM

I hunted hard last week.....most days in stand from 6:00 am - 11:00 am and then again from 2:00 pm - 6:00 pm.
I saw a total of 18 bucks, only 2 were shooters.
1 saw 32 does and 27 fawns.

It was a Boom or Bust kind of week, though. I had hunts that I only saw 1 deer. And then, I had a morning that I saw 18! Just really erratic daytime movement.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/23/15 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
I have sat just under 130 hours on stand on one property and seen 4 deer. Had 1 shot opportunity.

Another property: probably 16 hours and seen 10 deer with 0 shot opportunities.

Both in Jackson County

For real?
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/23/15 09:16 AM

Countless does, prob 15-20 2 1/2 yr old bucks. Prob another 5 3 1/2yr old bucks. Seen a couple mature bucks,one of which was a 9 point i shot and is at the taxi now. Killed 2 does with the bow,and the one buck with a rifle. Of the bucks I saw this year,I would say a 3rd of them were within bow range. Overall,it was a great year and the forecast for this property is looking very very good for next year
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/23/15 12:03 PM

Have hunted 15 hrs this year and could have killed:
18 bucks all 3 year old or younger
56 Does
no shots fired to date
Posted By: Bacon_58

Re: Ok how many deer could you have killed - 01/26/15 09:33 PM

Let's see if this works.
http://vid375.photobucket.com/albums/oo197/dgchapin58/HDV_0005_zpsz3bj72ni.mp4
© 2024 ALDEER.COM