Aldeer.com

Tips on greenfield

Posted By: Buckkiller77

Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:13 PM

Hey I'm thinking about making a green field and I need some tips for it. If you could help me out. Thanks.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:15 PM

What tips you need? When you making it? Is it cleared already or wooeded?

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:16 PM

It's wooded. This will be my first time doing one.
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:24 PM

Depending on size of trees/stumps you'll need a dozer/excavator or a lot of patience till the stumps rot out.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:28 PM

Ok. We have 400 acres to hunt on so I may just turn a open field into a green field. Does it have to have trees around it. And about what size does it need to be?
Posted By: 3FFarms

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:29 PM

Long and narrow, lots of edge. I really, really, really like hub/spoke designs in thick cover if that's an option. Designing the plots is more fun than hunting them to me.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:30 PM

Ok thank you what do I need to plant

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:30 PM

Yep if it has many trees you will need to remove them. You can make a field in the woods but fields need sunlight to grow so you will have to get it fairly cleared out anyway. That's step one getting it cleaned off and ready for step 2.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:31 PM

Planting depends on your soil, size of field, and what you want to grow or what the goal of the plot is.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:32 PM

Thanks but I'm just gonna move to an open field. I just need to know what is good to plant.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:33 PM

Haha. The goal is to get deer to come in. Haha. Ok.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:37 PM

If the trees are still standing, don't cut them. Let the dozer push the whole tree over. Your hole will be much smaller, digging up stumps sucks. Hire someone that knows how to push and leave your top soil.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:38 PM

Most people will likely recommend oats wheat and clover mixture of some form. Need to do a soil test to make sure your soil is okay and get recommendations for lime and fertilizer so you make sure the plants that grow will attract deer.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:38 PM

I'm just gonna turn a field we have into one

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 02:43 PM

Ok. Thanks
Posted By: chris18

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 08:22 PM

Depending on the size of your field you can plant corn to give some cover then plant strips of different winter mix and leave the corn standing around the edges
Posted By: SFC3

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 09:09 PM

Plant wheat, clover...find a Biologic type you like...play with it have fun...Theres TONs if info out there...but be smart...The Tecomate stuff is Ok, but way over priced...Try Pennington seed site...Mossy Oak Biologic etc
Keep in mind most of the Biologic turnip type stuff doesn't get hit hard till its had a few frosts...
Rye looks pretty...but it nothing for nutrition for deer...
Bucks like strips more than big open stuff...they want to be close to cover...

And don't go stick a damn corn feeder on it...
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: 3FFarms
Long and narrow, lots of edge. I really, really, really like hub/spoke designs in thick cover if that's an option. Designing the plots is more fun than hunting them to me.

If you're wanting to actually hunt the plot do this, even with the open field. Just allow the field to naturally grow up around and between the planted areas.

If you just want a plot to feed deer and hold them nearby, plant a large square plot.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 09:34 PM

Ok. Thanks. I have a few Ideas in mind. Thanks everyone
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 09:59 PM

Plan to position your shooting house so you can enter and exit with deer in the field.
Posted By: globe

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/22/14 09:59 PM

Also remember trees around a greenfield are cool and all, but leaves ruin a greenfield.
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/23/14 02:46 PM

I planted Tecomate Greenfield this year, on the advice of some of these guys. Really happy with the results. I'm thinking I may need to add some fertilizer now.

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/23/14 02:48 PM

Thanks.
Posted By: k bush

Re: Tips on greenfield - 12/23/14 06:23 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Plan to position your shooting house so you can enter and exit with deer in the field.

This, plus planting strips with natural growth in between and positioning the stand(s) to take advantage of the prevailing wind.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM