Aldeer.com

Madison County rut

Posted By: woodsnwater

Madison County rut - 12/22/14 11:01 AM

I saw a good buck pushing a doe into a thicket this morning in Hampton cove. I thought someone could use the info.
Posted By: rolltidehunter

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 01:11 PM

Thanks
Posted By: headshot

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 01:31 PM

thanks
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 06:17 PM

Glad you saw that, but I can tell you that it ain't happening at all right now out on RSA.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 09:46 PM

How do you like hunting on the arsenal? Done it a couple times and it wasn't my cup of tea.
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: hgmike
How do you like hunting on the arsenal? Done it a couple times and it wasn't my cup of tea.

It can be a pain at times. Not bad for the money though.
Posted By: hgmike

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 10:30 PM

Very true I remember stumbling across some signs that said "danger stay out, explosives." Granted it was an old sign just laying on the ground but it's still enough to make you wonder.
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Madison County rut - 12/22/14 10:34 PM

Where in Hampton Cove? I got a real itchy trigger finger...I think it's got poison ivy or something. .
Posted By: HSM85

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 12:06 AM

Very interesting. I'm hunting some land about a 1/2 mile north of Hampton Cove. Had several doe and a couple of bucks in the same field this afternoon. Bucks were Paying very little attention to the does.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 09:19 AM

I'm pretty close to there also. I saw a big daddy 8 a couple days ago and he had no interest in any of the does that were around. Not much sign yet in the area where it is always torn up. I hunt this place about 3-4 times per yr to not pressure them much, usually pays off. The one I watched was about 75 yards and angling away to my right, just didn't feel good about the shot, so I left him for another day. Good 130"+ deer, neck was swolen, but he just fed all around the does with no interest. They are not even close here on Redstone, but I have seen a couple jaw droppers that have shown up in the last week or so out here.
Posted By: Uokman2014

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 09:45 AM

I also hunt in the general "area" of Hampton Cove... Other than some early scrapes opening up I'm not seeing any chasing or interest in does yet. My experience around here is that the real rut does not kick into high gear until very late January...
Posted By: RMFT

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 10:00 AM

Are yall hunting mrs sublics land or on mcmullen? That's pretty much it for land owners over here.. I'm dying to bow hunt close to the house next year.. If yall need someone to split cameras and help id really like to
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: RMFT
Are yall hunting mrs sublics land or on mcmullen? That's pretty much it for land owners over here.. I'm dying to bow hunt close to the house next year.. If yall need someone to split cameras and help id really like to

Ditto here ... I think I'd give up my left testicle if it meant I could hunt that close to the house
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 03:05 PM

Rutting like crazy where I hunt saw 5 bucks chasing yesterday evening and a big half rack buck bred a doe. Wish I could be in the woods this evening, Christmas stuff calls for the next 3 days.
Posted By: wcjones21

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 03:29 PM

are you hunting the Hampton cove area as well?

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14
Rutting like crazy where I hunt saw 5 bucks chasing yesterday evening and a big half rack buck bred a doe. Wish I could be in the woods this evening, Christmas stuff calls for the next 3 days.

In Madison County?
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 04:00 PM

I just got an alert memo it says rut just ended an hour ago in Madison county. Oh we'll I guess there's always next year!

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocket62
Originally Posted By: RMFT

Ditto here ... I think I'd give up my left testicle if it meant I could hunt that close to the house

and then it went quiet.. lol.. I thought Mrs. Sublic didn't give permission to hunt but I see a headlamp from time to time in between mcmullin and hampton cove which gave me some hope..

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 05:02 PM

I believe the Hayes and Byrds own the property north of hampton cove that runs parallel to hwy 72. I think it backs up to the Flynt river. Not sure if they hunt it. Looks like some good property.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 05:05 PM

Yep and Lenora Sublett owns that to the east of the bypass

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 06:55 PM

Shhhhhhh!

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
Shhhhhhh!

It's pretty common on here to ignore this!
Posted By: top cat

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 07:24 PM

I hunted the mountain where the water fall is at the entance back when it was what it is now, Owens Cross Roads. 35763

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: top cat
I hunted the mountain where the water fall is at the entance back when it was what it is now, Owens Cross Roads. 35763

I blame my realtor...I never knew any difference being new to the area. She called it Hampton Cove so all my bills, drivers license, everything says Hampton Cove. Regardless, I didn't realize everyone except me has a place to hunt right here close to home....somebody hook a man up!!!
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Madison County rut - 12/23/14 10:02 PM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
I just got an alert memo it says rut just ended an hour ago in Madison county. Oh we'll I guess there's always next year!

No one told you? Once you cross county lines, the rut starts a month later! grin
Posted By: Clem

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 12:46 AM

Quote:
I didn't realize everyone except me has a place to hunt right here close to home....somebody hook a man up!!!

x2, por favor.

Anything on Ripple Lane would be nice, too.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
I didn't realize everyone except me has a place to hunt right here close to home....somebody hook a man up!!!

x2, por favor.

Anything on Ripple Lane would be nice, too.

X3
Posted By: DaffyDucksWorstNightmare

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:17 AM

There is no deer in Hampton Cove or McMullen Cove. Move Along

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:21 AM

And the 14 animals I saw down Old Big Cove rd this AM were just some dogs that got out

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:41 AM

Just dogs or family pets?

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:41 AM

Not sure, maybe a black painter in there with them too
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:45 AM

In Madison County?

Yeah he's got family land in the green close to the state line

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 10:58 AM

Yea it's in Hazel green not Hampton cove. My last name is byrd and my grandfather used to own a lot of land in big cove, he's dead now don't know who owns it. My dad was born in big cove, said you'd be lucky to see 2 deer a year there on the mountain back in the day. Now there seems to be a lot more. I'd never want to hunt that area/Hampton cove though, where can you aim? Residential neighborhoods EVERYWHERE. Way too grown up these days.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:08 AM

Plenty of places to bowhunt in the Hampton/Big cove areas. It's not all covered in concrete and asphalt just yet.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:10 AM

Yea the way it's grown in the last 10 years it will be, I mean that place just sprouted so quickly. Lotta beautiful homes out there for sure.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:13 AM

I'd bow hunt it in a New York minute if I could ...

Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:21 AM

That's a cool video Rocket62. Unfortunately, it is tainted by the goober taking the footage though. laugh

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:41 AM

LOL, who is that?

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 11:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Plenty of places to bowhunt in the Hampton/Big cove areas. It's not all covered in concrete and asphalt just yet.

I'd like to know where for sure
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 12:46 PM

Those does know how to get their butts killed.Lol I've seen them lay down next to four lane and poor buck just standing there.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/24/14 01:43 PM

LOL, who is that?

droptines

Re: Madison County rut - 12/25/14 02:29 AM

Just as many night hunters as deer in that area also, just about got shot last yr after dark walking across a field going to the truck.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/25/14 02:52 AM

I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I just saw a figure through my scope and since I don't use binoculars my rifle must have gone off on accident!!!

Re: Madison County rut - 12/25/14 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 257wbymag
I didn't mean to. I'm sorry. I just saw a figure through my scope and since I don't use binoculars my rifle must have gone off on accident!!!

grin

Re: Madison County rut - 12/25/14 03:34 AM

lol

Re: Madison County rut - 12/25/14 07:44 PM

grin

Re: Madison County rut - 12/26/14 11:23 AM

At least you rolled your window down and didn't get glass in your face smile

Re: Madison County rut - 12/29/14 10:48 AM

Anybody seeing any action?

Re: Madison County rut - 12/29/14 11:07 AM

Anybody seeing any action?

Still tearing it up close to the state line. Weird though cause my main hunting land they have been fighting and stuff since November 18. Now it's flat out chasing. But the land I live on, which is about 5 mins away from the main hunting land hasn't seen near as much chasing, some but not as much, it's a much smaller patch of land so I guess that's why.

Re: Madison County rut - 12/29/14 11:10 AM

Still tearing it up close to the state line.

Aare talking about the New Market area?

Re: Madison County rut - 12/29/14 11:15 AM

Northern part of Hazel green

Re: Madison County rut - 12/29/14 12:06 PM

Anyone have any new or historical rut info for the New Market area?
Posted By: DMax

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 11:30 AM

I live in Madison County also, lucky and get to hunt 2600 acres. Don't know if this helps but IMO the moon will reach its peak this coming Monday and will be full thru Wednesday. There maybe a few young bucks kicking around ready to go but the does aren't ready yet. IMO the full moon in January kicks off the rut in Madison County and the last two weeks of January will be wild. Seen five good bucks on the back of trucks yesterday and drove by the processors and he had 10 bucks dropped off yesterday. I think we're in the peak of pre-rut, but either way between now and 1/31 should be good hunting. Just my two cents.Good Luck.
Posted By: Hoss606

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 03:25 PM

I will agree with dmax on the pre rut part. Seen several small buck on their feet pushing doe since christmas. Every time I have been out since 12-25 I have seen small bucks chasing. Seeing new scrapes popping up
Posted By: JBing

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 03:53 PM

Northern part of Hazel green

I live in Hazel Green (where Charity lane and Paulaski Pike meet) and would love to be able to hunt that area. Driving to Skyline and Bankhead sucks....
Posted By: Mjb

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 04:41 PM

Found some land on a map: "Byrd Spring hunting club" in Huntsville. Anyone know of it ? Can anyone join ? Id like to find out.

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 04:48 PM

No, you cannot join Byrd Spring. It is a private club established in the late 1890s or early 1900s and is neither public nor open to anyone.

And if anyone gets caught on there they will arrest and prosecute. Byrd Spring members don't mess around.

Just a friendly FYI.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Madison County rut - 01/02/15 07:11 PM

Tellem Clem. Moon gottem runnin everywhere. Really..........
Posted By: Huntingfreak

Re: Madison County rut - 01/03/15 02:09 PM

Seen a 8 point buck with a doe this morning in New Market! I was headed to paint rock and seen them on maysville road in between county lake rd and bell factory!! I stopped and looked at them for a little while and he was all right with her! If you are hunting New Market, you should be in the woods the rest of this week!

Re: Madison County rut - 01/03/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Huntingfreak
Seen a 8 point buck with a doe this morning in New Market! I was headed to paint rock and seen them on maysville road in between county lake rd and bell factory!! I stopped and looked at them for a little while and he was all right with her! If you are hunting New Market, you should be in the woods the rest of this week!

Thanks!
Posted By: Huntingfreak

Re: Madison County rut - 01/03/15 04:08 PM

No problem Rocket!!

Re: Madison County rut - 01/11/15 09:49 PM

Any updates on Madison County rut? Specifically Eastern Madison County?

Re: Madison County rut - 01/11/15 10:16 PM

Saw a good young 7pt yesterday at 1:45. He came in from behind me and I actually smelled him before I heard or saw him. He was not in a hurry to get anywhere and there were no does within 10 acres of him. First time I have sat in that area and not seen at least 10-15 deer, but he was all I saw from 11-dark. Apparently they are not chasing yet because every year when they are on in the area I hunt I will see young ones and old ones alike chasing like crap on the side of the mountain I'm hunting. Talked to several other hunters that hunt the general area and they have seen no heavy activity either. Gonna go off like a bomb when it does I guess, I would've bet the farm that they would be wide open right now, and I would have lost.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM