Aldeer.com

Gun for my wife?

Posted By: Dphillips

Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 08:39 PM

I'm looking @ getting my wife one of the Savage rifle & scope combos, trying to decide on between the Axis or trophy hunter. Never had a savage so what are y'all's thoughts?
Posted By: alhawk

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 08:47 PM

Go to the search function on the top right and enter Savage Axis. My daughters shoot the Axis 7-08. I recently upgraded the scope to a Nikon 3x9x50 and absolutely love it. Great
gun for the money.
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 08:55 PM

Savages are ugly but they are shooters. Hard to beat their accuracy.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:04 PM

I bought the GF a Axis youth model in 7mm~08.... Its the 2nd Axis I have bought. First one was a 223. Both of them are very accurate shooters.
Factory trigger is a little heavy on them but you can get the aftermarket spring (<$15) and is a simple install.

Boyds has laminate stocks for $99 ... the pepper laminate looks great on them.
Posted By: lukeparker22

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:15 PM

I love my savage 220 slug gun!
Posted By: Goldhill1

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:31 PM

Just got the axis youth 7-08 for sons xmas present. Havent shot it yet but cant wait. Hard to beat the price on it...under $300 with scope
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:37 PM

We looked at them for my wife, but she ended up choosing the Ruger American compact 7mm-08 and topped it with a Leopold VX1 3-9x49. It's been a good shooter at paper. Haven't tested it on a deer yet this year though. It's hard to beat the price on those Savage's too though.
Regardless, I went in with the mindset of just offering my wife input on the different options available and we just went all around over a few weeks and let her hold as many as we could find, then she picked the one that felt the best for her.
Posted By: semperfi10463

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:43 PM

my wife left before i did. opened my safe my tikka was gone! had to use my old remington. guess i better get her a tikka or me another.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 09:55 PM

You can't go wrong with the Axis. They are ugly as sin, but very good rifles for the money. 7-08 would be the round of choice.

My son has one in a 243 youth. It shoots about a 1" group with Hornady Whitetails.

I like the idea of adding the Boyd's stock. It dresses it up a little and adds some weight to help soak up recoil. Add a good recoil pad if the Boyd's doesn't have one. The more comfortable it is to shoot, the more confident she will be with it.

Have fun!
Posted By: Dphillips

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 10:09 PM

We were looking @ the axis today in a 243 but noticed that the trophy hunter comes with a Nikon scope instead of the weaver, both have the accu trigger which I have never used & know very little about. I see everyone seems to like the 7-08 round, would this be be a much better round than the 243? She has been hunting for a few year using a 30-30 & recently has been shooting 25-06. Looking to get her one of her own now & then in a few years probably give it to our son when he gets a little older, he's only three & I took him on his first hunt this Friday, didn't sit long but he enjoyed it!
Posted By: BrotherTurtle

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 11:05 PM

My step daughter has one with the accu-trigger. Well worth the small up charge for it.
Posted By: dnolen

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/14/14 11:09 PM

I like the 7-08. I got a ruger american compact for my son. Well the family went in on it. The 7-08 has a little more recoil but better all the way around. If you are worried about recoil. Get either Hornady lite or Remington managed recoil. Were shootin Hornady out of my sons rifle. Very little felt recoil.
Posted By: cutter81

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 06:12 AM

I would also look at the Ruger American as mentioned above.
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: cutter81
I would also look at the Ruger American as mentioned above.

X2
Posted By: fladeerhntr

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 07:39 AM

If it was me I'd look real hard at a Ruger American All Weather compact. I can't say anything as far as the 7mm-08 but my wife shot her first buck and first doe last year with my remington 700 243 and everyone of them was DRT meanwhile everything I shot at with my 270 ran 50-100 yards.
Posted By: smokinya

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 08:42 AM

I had the Savage Axis in 7-08 for my kids and loved the accuracy but the only issue with them is the stiff trigger which I upgraded to the Timney and the other issue is the small flexible stock where you grip it with your trigger hand.........it will flex when the stock trigger is pulled. I won the Savage Trophy Hunter XP and my kids are using it now and the accu-trigger is great and stock is stiff and accuracy is outstanding!
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 09:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Dphillips
I see everyone seems to like the 7-08 round, would this be be a much better round than the 243?

IMO yes ... Hardly any more recoil and you are stepping up to 140gr bullets for more punch.
Hornady american whitetail ammo in hers and it groups good... Academy usually has it in stock and its $22 a box.

Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 09:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Dphillips
We were looking @ the axis today in a 243 but noticed that the trophy hunter comes with a Nikon scope instead of the weaver, both have the accu trigger which I have never used & know very little about. I see everyone seems to like the 7-08 round, would this be be a much better round than the 243? She has been hunting for a few year using a 30-30 & recently has been shooting 25-06. Looking to get her one of her own now & then in a few years probably give it to our son when he gets a little older, he's only three & I took him on his first hunt this Friday, didn't sit long but he enjoyed it!

The 7-08 is a great round b/c it is very low recoiling, yet hold plenty of down range energy. If she likes a 25-06, its also a great round. You can't go wrong with any of the three.
Posted By: forten

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 09:39 AM

Bought my son the axis 270 last year. He is 15 loves it and is 2 for 2 so far. It came with a bushnell on it.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 10:30 AM

I may have one of you are interested. My cousin has a savage that he just asked me to do a "white glove" on before he sells it. He's not trying to make a profit or anything, he just doesn't use it.

Shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Posted By: jdhunter2011

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 11:37 AM

Savage man for life here. They are a lil rough but deadly accurate. I have the 110 in .270 and .300win mag. Just bought an axis .22-250 this weekend. Mounted the scope and sighted it in yesterday and wow its a sweet shooter. You will never regret buying a savage. None of mine have the accutrigger so Im use to it but they are pretty stiff.
Posted By: ABB

Re: Gun for my wife? - 12/15/14 03:54 PM

The accutrigger is nice in that it will get the pull down just below 2 lbs. It is a little mushy so its not like having a smith do the work but being free its pretty awesome.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM