Aldeer.com

Spotlighting Coyotes

Posted By: daniel white

Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 09:45 PM

How do y'all go about it. I asked the "MAN" about it last year, and go the green light to do it on my farm. In May-July. Now then, I have called in ALOT of them in the daylight, and feel like I can in the dark. BUT how do I work the light? Do I cut it on every 5 min.? Or keep it on or what? Just looking for some suggestions..
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 09:53 PM

Red lens and leave the light on.
Posted By: josht101

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 09:53 PM

I'll run the light, you pull the trigger cool
Posted By: shooters

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 09:56 PM

Long before we had 3rd generation night vision we use red lense covered spotlights. You could re-wire them and use a 6v lantern battery. You could shine it , and call for a long time. You can do a search on-line and find scope mounted red or blue lights for on top of scope. Keep it on, and dont put the beam in there eyes. Works best as a 2 man set -up. thumbup
Posted By: ClarkGriswold

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 10:02 PM

I went with a guy one time at night. He would point his spotlight at the treetop height a couple hundred yards away and swing the beam back and forth in a constantly moving arc at treetop height. Almost like one of those rotating airport lights.
While calling, he never stopped the light moving back and forth and never pointing it at ground level. When a yote would appear, you'd see its eyes reflect as the light passed over it. Once we saw the yote eyes reflect back, he'd stop the light movement and shine the light at treetop level well above the yote. Never shined the light directly at the yote.
Only time I've ever seen it done, so may or may not be the best way...
Posted By: SuperSpike

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/25/14 11:20 PM

Any special permits required to do that method of hunting them?
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/26/14 05:25 AM

Get a red LED. You can buy them pretty cheap nowadays.
Posted By: antlerhunter

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/26/14 05:25 AM

You have to have written authorization from the DCNR for each specific property you will be hunting them at night.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Spotlighting Coyotes - 11/26/14 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: antlerhunter
You have to have written authorization from the DCNR for each specific property you will be hunting them at night.

Yup
© 2024 ALDEER.COM