Aldeer.com

trail cams on wmas

Posted By: brandongowan

trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 06:55 PM

I was wondering what everyones thoughts are about using cameras on wmas.... if u do use them have u had any problems with them being stolen or tampered with did u use lock boxes ect....
Posted By: Remington270

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 06:59 PM

Do so at your own risk, it's public land, after all. Considering how many get stolen off private land, I'd be hesitant to do it.
Posted By: quailman

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:04 PM

Anything you leave on Public Land can and will be stolen if the right person finds it.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:16 PM

Probably wouldn't do it during season, but I would imagine the odds of someone finding my camera in the offseason would be low. Virtually nobody in those woods at that time, and my little camera in the middle of nowhere would be the ultimate needle in a haystack. But I wouldn't put it on a field, or other "likely traveled" area. Way past a gate, far out a dim roadbed, down a ridge, facing away from sight, then put a bag of corn in front of it. That's what I'd do.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:18 PM

I had one stolen about 2 weeks ago on the b side of Black Warrior. It was off the road over 1.5 miles in so put one out at your own risk.
Posted By: bankhead

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:43 PM

I've never had one stolen outta the nf knock on wood.
Posted By: josht101

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Probably wouldn't do it during season, but I would imagine the odds of someone finding my camera in the offseason would be low. Virtually nobody in those woods at that time, and my little camera in the middle of nowhere would be the ultimate needle in a haystack. But I wouldn't put it on a field, or other "likely traveled" area. Way past a gate, far out a dim roadbed, down a ridge, facing away from sight, then put a bag of corn in front of it. That's what I'd do.

The bag of corn is the real secret to this equation thumbup
Posted By: foldemup

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 07:49 PM

I ran 4 at skyline last year and had pics of 4 different honest hunters....thanks for not stealing my cameras.
Posted By: bowtarist

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 08:06 PM

I've ran mine on Skyline for years and haven't had one stolen.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: josht101
Originally Posted By: ikillbux

The bag of corn is the real secret to this equation thumbup

thumbup My logic is that I'm probably gonna put the camera in an un-obvious place, so I would need something (corn) to make the deer get in front of it. Of course, a bag of corn weighs 40lbs, so you've got to consider how you're gonna tote em in there. The better idea, now that I think about it, might be to put a mineral block or something there. But again, I don't think I'd do this during season.

I too used one on Cheaha Mountain (NF) a couple of years ago, from mid-Sept till basically the week before gun season opened (nobody hunts the flippin' NF during bow season! LOL). What I wasn't shocked to discover is that there just weren't many deer, and it wasn't worth my time to keep totin' them %^#$#@ bags of corn in there. In all that time, I got one picture of one buck that I would've actually killed. But son there were turkeys by the millions it seemed.
Posted By: turkey_killer

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 09:19 PM

I've had mine out at Bankhead twice this season so far. First time for a couple days. The second time was for 3 or 4 days (including the opening day of gun season). Both were within a couple hundred yards of the main road. I was nervous at work all day Saturday and decided to go get it that night. It was still there, but I didn't get a picture of a deer either time. I don't know if its worth the risk
Posted By: ghost rabbit

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 09:23 PM

I'm not up to date on WMA regulations but are you allowed to put corn out?
Posted By: Bustinbeards

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: ghost rabbit
I'm not up to date on WMA regulations but are you allowed to put corn out?

No
Posted By: brandongowan

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 09:36 PM

Thanks for the responses i was wanting to run some on skyline just to see if it was worth my time the area i want to hunt is almost at the top of a mountain and u have to walk from the foot up its almost 2 miles from the gate to the spot and the terrain is steep i dont want to be walking up and down a mountain for some does or young bucks that i wouldnt want to shoot .... can u leave climbers on wma land???
Posted By: Cobby

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 10:17 PM

Where u kill that giant dang son that a swamp donkey

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 10:18 PM

Talking to Teague sorry new to all this
Posted By: doecommander

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 10:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Cobby
Where u kill that giant dang son that a swamp donkey

All I know is that he had to shoot it 575 times to bring it down.
Posted By: SMB44

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 10:38 PM

In a lock box a mile or so in. I had it in one spot close to the road one time. Got three hunters I believe and the biggest public land deer I have seen... I was lucky on that one I guess. When I had in a mile in I got 300 pics and not one of a buck...

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/23/14 10:49 PM

U must no him
Posted By: Rip50

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/24/14 08:19 AM

I ran one on choccolocco last year.And didnt have any problem.No corn just hung it over scrape and rub line. Got some awesome pic's too.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/24/14 04:02 PM

No way I would leave mine on public land
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: trail cams on wmas - 11/24/14 04:08 PM

I've run across cameras and stands on Skyline, I don't see it being that big of a deal. I've seen some locked and some not...

The IDOT's usually go on private property to steal stuff anyway.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM