Aldeer.com

Chestnut Acorns?

Posted By: Swink2

Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 10:29 PM

A guy at work called these almost quarter sized acorns we have where I work chestnut acorns. Never seen them before but they are large reddish color acorn. I was wondering do deer eat these and if so has anyone tried using acorns picked up in your yard in front of your cameras for scouting pics? I picked up about 50 lbs. of them today at work and could get alot more as an alternative to buying corn to put in front of my cameras

Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 10:35 PM

I bet you're talking about mountain oaks, and no, deer don't eat the very well. Although, you need to put a pic of it up so we can see exactly what it is you're taking about.

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 11:08 PM

Ok took me minute . First time uploading a pic on here
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 11:17 PM

I still believe it's a mountain oak (chestnut) just like your buddy said. You may have deer that like them, but mine won't hardly eat them unless there is absolutly nothing else to eat, and they always have something else to eat!
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 11:20 PM

I have heard mountain oaks called chestnut oaks but also have heard swamp chestnut oaks called chestnut oaks. They will eat both. Swamp chestnuts are like Crack to a deer, mountain oaks are more like potatoes in a shrimp boil, so so.

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/13/14 11:31 PM

I was just curious because I work for the park and rec and we pick up tons of acorns off the fields and parks . I also picked up some from some water oaks as well. I will try them . Worst thing could happen is they don't eat them I guess.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/14/14 07:19 AM

There are chestnut oaks, and there are swamp chestnut oaks. 2 different variety's. The chestnut oak is not a preferred food for deer, but they will eat them when other acorns are gone. Swamp chestnuts, on the other hand, are a highly preferred food source. In the picture, that is a chestnut(mountain) oak acorn. Millions will rot on the forest floor.
Posted By: TwoRs

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/14/14 07:20 AM

Do a test for us, PU the two species and stage them with a camera watching the piles and let us know which one works best. Report back!
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/14/14 07:29 AM

Typically there ranges don't intersect. Mountain oaks are in the mountains. Cheaha is covered with them. Swamp chestnuts, are located in bottoms, i believe. Nowhere that i've hunted, had swamp chestnuts.
Posted By: LIOJeff

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/14/14 10:28 AM

Deer will eat these swamp chestnuts.

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/14/14 01:17 PM

Gonna do a little test in front of one of my cameras . I have a little wood tray I put corn in and I'm gonna spread these chesnut acorns on one side and some white oak / water oak acorns on the other and see if the deer eat the corn or one of the other acorns first.
Posted By: WARPhEAGLE

Re: Chestnut Acorns? - 11/15/14 08:12 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
There are chestnut oaks, and there are swamp chestnut oaks. 2 different variety's. The chestnut oak is not a preferred food for deer, but they will eat them when other acorns are gone. Swamp chestnuts, on the other hand, are a highly preferred food source. In the picture, that is a chestnut(mountain) oak acorn. Millions will rot on the forest floor.

This guy has it correctly. Usually they will only eat chestnut oak acorns if all the white oaks and red oaks are gone. Swamp chestnuts, on the other hand, are an awesome deer attractant. I suppose the tannin level in the chestnut oaks is higher than others.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM