Aldeer.com

"Transporting live wild hogs"

Posted By: olechris

"Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 10:42 AM

Posting on behalf of a friend that is attempting to eradicate his enormous hog population on his private land. Is there anyway legally for him to catch live hogs and transport them to someone wo will buy them?...is it even legal to be a buyer? Im aware of some states with laws that you can get a permit for this very thing. Would it be in his best interest to capture and kill then look for a buyer? Im out of my zone here, someone help me out on the best route to take. T/Y

Im sure that if you guys understand that when i say he is infested with the rooters then you probably have a good idea of how many hes got lurking around. Its pretty bad.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 10:44 AM

Originally Posted By: olechris
Posting on behalf of a friend that is attempting to eradicate his enormous hog population on his private land. Is there anyway legally for him to catch live hogs and transport them to someone wo will buy them?...is it even legal to be a buyer? Im aware of some states with laws that you can get a permit for this very thing. Would it be in his best interest to capture and kill then look for a buyer? Im out of my zone here, someone help me out on the best route to take. T/Y

Im sure that if you guys understand that when i say he is infested with the rooters then you probably have a good idea of how many hes got lurking around. Its pretty bad.

Yes im aware it is illegal to transport live wild animals in the state of alabama...i forgot to mention that above.
Posted By: ALFisher

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 10:55 AM

Where does it say it is illegal to transport live wild animals within the state? I've never seen that in the regulations. They do say it is illegal to release feral swine once caught, but does not say you cannot transport.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 11:03 AM

You can not transport them. Once they are reduced to personal possession they must be dead. Only way to transport them is dead.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 11:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Matt Brock
You can not transport them. Once they are reduced to personal possession they must be dead. Only way to transport them is dead.

That was my assumption...what about a buyer?
Posted By: Moose24

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: olechris
Originally Posted By: Matt Brock

That was my assumption...what about a buyer?

There isn't but one answer here, DEAD!!!
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 11:32 AM

only option since its Illegal is to just transport them in a covered trailer and hope you don't get pulled over
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 01:47 PM

It's a waste of good meat, but - the best thing to do is to trap, kill, and dispose of the carcasses at a gut pile if he has that many.
Posted By: mirage243

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 02:06 PM

I can't imagine who would want to buy the nasty bastards
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 02:07 PM

Wes at Alligator Alley will take them all. He needs lots of hogs to feed all those gators.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 02:08 PM

On the buyer, you can sell them. But, they have to be dead.
Posted By: charlie

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 03:13 PM

I believe you could technically sell them live as long as you did it without transporting them off the property. Of course the buyer would then need to transport them and that would be illegal for him. It's one of those laws they pass with good intentions to keep people from releasing them in other areas but also take some of the monetary incentive from trapping them if you can't sell them. Also causes a lot of wasted meat because hogs will spoil quickly once killed, particularly in the summer when most are hunted because of deer and turkey season conflicts.
Posted By: rackaddict

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 03:41 PM

Our GW told us they have orders from the top office to also kill all the hogs that are found during a transport. In other words, the only way those hogs come off the vehicle is dead. They will not be confiscated and released but eraticated on the spot. I agree with that.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 03:52 PM

According to the new regulation if you possess a wild hog it is required to die. No catch and release.
Posted By: Itismemc

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 04:03 PM

Whats the size limit?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:07 PM

What I posted earlier was wrong. The law now specifically says all feral swine must be killed on site.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:18 PM

somebody splain to my ignerent arse how you tell a wild hog from a tame hog in a trailer on the side of Hwy 80?

first GW that "eradicates" a trailer of hogs that someone bought legally and is transporting em to his farm is going to get his arse sued.....

it's a stupidarse law......
Posted By: joshm28

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:18 PM

Why couldn't you catch them, pen them for a week or so while feeding them and then sell as livestock?
Posted By: LoCo

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By: joshm28
Why couldn't you catch them, pen them for a week or so while feeding them and then sell as livestock?

Thank you. Game over.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:27 PM

You could before, but the law now specifically says they must be killed on site of capture. Now I agree that there is no difference after they are captured, but they changed the law recently.
Posted By: BayedUp

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:44 PM

Because it was to easy and simple the other way. And too many people started blaming hogs multiplying and spreading on people transporting and releasing them.
Posted By: shooters

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By: BayedUp
Because it was to easy and simple the other way. And too many people started blaming hogs multiplying and spreading on people transporting and releasing them.
If you are hauling them around . You ARE spreading them. I dont see what is so complacted about that!
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/05/14 07:00 PM

I didn't grow up on a hog farm but I hunted on one and my grandfather raised them so I've spent more time around those parlors than I ever care to admit. Anyone who mistakes farm grown pork for a feral hog is a MORON!

Seeing it speed by at 65 mph maybe but walking up and looking there will be no doubt.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 06:18 AM

Originally Posted By: shooters
If you are hauling them around . You ARE spreading them. I dont see what is so complacted about that!

I don't like to waste meat. But with that said I ain't eating a boar hog that hasn't been barred and fed out. I see nothing wrong with catching one and feeding it out. I'm not saying it should be legal to haul em off the property they were caught on but it is a stupid law that u can't pen one up to better the meat on the property it was caught on.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 06:56 AM

Word of mouth is what gets people caught. Just sayin. whistle

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:35 AM

Since September 1st when the law came in to action I have killed and wasted several boar hogs that could have easily been put in my pen castrated and fed for 3 to 4 weeks and been good eating. But instead of enforcing the laws already in place they jus add more to punish the ones doing it the right way. A man breaking the law before is still gonna break the new law so why not just enforce the first one?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 09:25 AM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter
I didn't grow up on a hog farm but I hunted on one and my grandfather raised them so I've spent more time around those parlors than I ever care to admit. Anyone who mistakes farm grown pork for a feral hog is a MORON!

Seeing it speed by at 65 mph maybe but walking up and looking there will be no doubt.

so give me the definitive court proof way of PROVING a hog is wild trapped vs bought from a person who is raising hogs from feral looking stock......and selling them legally.

saying "oh yeah, that one is a wild trapped feral hog" and PROVING it in a court of law are two different things.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 10:12 AM

So the average GW is not smart enough to look at a trailer full or wild hogs and know they are wild hogs???

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 10:22 AM

What you know and what you can prove are two different things. The law is about proof. If they don't see you catching them or have some other proof they don't know where they came from.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 10:47 AM

GW do it all the time. Do they see every deer shot at night? Do they see every law broke? Just like baiting they use their discetion. Where is the diffenece?? Its up to a judge to decide. Most hog lovers know what they are doing with this law anyway. They are trying to spread pigs to other areas.
Posted By: Hunthard

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 11:04 AM

Hogs that are transported for sale have ear tags. I f you can get all of the hogs tagged in accordance with Alabama department of Agriculture so that they are sanitized, inoculated, and legitimately determined to be domesticated vice feral, then you can transport them. The possibility of that happening though is so low as to be pointless.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Hunthard
Hogs that are transported for sale have ear tags. I f you can get all of the hogs tagged in accordance with Alabama department of Agriculture so that they are sanitized, inoculated, and legitimately determined to be domesticated vice feral, then you can transport them. The possibility of that happening though is so low as to be pointless.

Say what?? You may need to recheck them records. Some hogs are tagged, but most are ear notched. And some don't have nothing.

Dang y'all are blowing this way out of proportion. slap
Posted By: Hunthard

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 11:23 AM

71.19 Identification of swine in interstate
commerce. It states it pretty clearly here. You can't legally transport feral hogs because they have to be marked is some way form or fashion that is recorded by the state. That is how you can tell the difference between domesticated and wild. Of course you can try to mark them illegally and run them that way but then you are breaking another law, a federal one in that case.
Posted By: trlrdrdave

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 11:31 AM

Hunthard there is a difference in interstate and intrastate. What if they stayed in Alabama?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 11:47 AM

commerce. It states it pretty clearly here. You can't legally transport feral hogs because they have to be marked is some way form or fashion that is recorded by the state. That is how you can tell the difference between domesticated and wild. Of course you can try to mark them illegally and run them that way but then you are breaking another law, a federal one in that case.

All I'm saying is you don't have to have a tag in a pigs ear to carry it to the sale.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred

so give me the definitive court proof way of PROVING a hog is wild trapped vs bought from a person who is raising hogs from feral looking stock......and selling them legally.

saying "oh yeah, that one is a wild trapped feral hog" and PROVING it in a court of law are two different things.....

As long as it takes court cases to play out, a simple DNA test would be easy. Heck in some areas they use these tests to estimate population size and diversity.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 12:28 PM

For ol 49er beers

Quote:
220-2-.86 Feral Swine Regulation.
(1) The seasons and methods for taking feral swine will be as provided in Rule 220-2-.01.
(2) Upon taking or capturing or having in possession any feral swine it shall be unlawful to release said feral swine alive or to transport said live feral swine. All feral swine taken by trap or dogs or otherwise must be killed on site. Furthermore, it shall be unlawful to release any live domestic swine into the wild.
Author: N. Gunter Guy, Jr.
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§9-2-7, 9-2-8, 9-2-12.
History: Effective October 18, 1985. Repealed and Replaced: Filed September 20, 1995; effective October 26, 1995. Amended: Filed January 7, 1997; effective February 11, 1997. Amended: Filed August 10, 2004; effective September 14, 2004. Amended: Filed August 15, 2012; effective September 19, 2012. Amended: Filed May 20, 2014; effective June 24, 2014.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 01:04 PM

Ok....y'all asked.....SO, here is the 'tricky' part.

Hogs that were legally caught and penned PRIOR to this new Legislation are NOT covered under it.

I happen to know a bunch of people who have hogs in pens that they raise to eat that originated from trapped/caught feral hogs. And, it is VERY legal to posess, haul, or do most anything else with them that you can with a prize-winning Yorkshire.

That said.....I agree with Bayedup.
The Law has not 'changed' anything. The people who were willing to take the risk of transport prior to this are still going to risk it! So, technically, all it did was place further restrictions on the law-abiding Hunters and Trappers of this State. It is a 'feel-good' Law for the people who were pushing it.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 01:17 PM

Doesnt matter if it is a "feel good law". Its is desigined to stop the spread of wild hogs, by the method of trainsporting them to other areas. Outlaws will allways look for and complain about laws. Some will even " what if them" to death. Transporting live Wild Hogs is illegal. I and MANY other wish we could get ride of all of them. Many people want them legitimized as a sport and/or a game aniamal, but i personal beleive they are a nusiance. The law is here to TRY to protect us from the spread of wild hogs. The what ifs, should be left to GWs and the judges to decide the final verdic. So I quess if you are hauling around a bunch of hogs, you better have = ear tags, proper paper work, bill of sale, OR be able to convince someone that they are NOT wild! Seams pretty simple to me! thumbup

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 01:51 PM

There is no 'marking' or 'tagging', or any other ID system in place for intrastate commerce of swine.

Maybe we need ANOTHER Law???

But, the Reality is; the one that was on the books would work just fine IF enforced!!! I have NO problem with people who do not wish to have feral hogs on there property.....none at all!
BUT, the mindset that a peice of paper or more Rules, Regulations and/or Laws will change things is simply un-realistic!
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 01:55 PM

Just curious, if you trap a group of hogs in a large trap, castrate the boars in the trap, feed and water the hogs in the pen area, at any time can they be considered as not wild?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:03 PM

In short no.

Once wild always wild until dead.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:06 PM

hey dummy, transporting down Interstate I-20 dosen't make it INTERSTATE transportation UNLESS ya cross a state line....LOL, thats some funny chitt.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:06 PM

The same thing could be said about any law. Dont we change and re-write laws as times pass??? Those how will be Outlaws will continue to do so. All this does is give the LAW another tool to catch those trying to move and introduce hogs into other places.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:08 PM

As long as it takes court cases to play out, a simple DNA test would be easy. Heck in some areas they use these tests to estimate population size and diversity.

all DNA test will prove is that the pigs come from feral stock, or from pigs raised on a farm that used feral pigs for starters, it damn sure won't PROVE where/when the pigs came from.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:10 PM

Doesnt matter if it is a "feel good law". Its is desigined to stop the spread of wild hogs, by the method of trainsporting them to other areas. Outlaws will allways look for and complain about laws. Some will even " what if them" to death. Transporting live Wild Hogs is illegal. I and MANY other wish we could get ride of all of them. Many people want them legitimized as a sport and/or a game aniamal, but i personal beleive they are a nusiance. The law is here to TRY to protect us from the spread of wild hogs. The what ifs, should be left to GWs and the judges to decide the final verdic. So I quess if you are hauling around a bunch of hogs, you better have = ear tags, proper paper work, bill of sale, OR be able to convince someone that they are NOT wild! Seams pretty simple to me! thumbup

there ain't no tags or paperwork required to move hogs from Demopolis to Bham.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:12 PM

hey dummy, transporting down Interstate I-20 dosen't make it INTERSTATE transportation UNLESS ya cross a state line....LOL, thats some funny chitt.

Sure it does Paw Paw. It's being transported on the interstate slap

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:14 PM

is that Interstate or interstate?????

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:18 PM

Shooter, for someone that likes his guns and freedom to shoot and hunt, you sure do seem to have a lot of trust in the government passing laws to try and protect us from ourselves and giving them more regulatory power over us. There is rarely a good reason to change any of.the laws we have to be more restrictive. Enforce the laws on the books and stop encroaching on my freedom in the name of making it easier to protect me from the criminals that will break the new law as easily as the old.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:23 PM

Troy

You did this a longer than I have but I didn't read anything in the reg about not moving feral hogs from a pen that were started from feral swine.

Feral swine on a truck being moved from original source that may have been grandfathered in will not go well regardless of the argument. At that point it is feral swine being transported, which is not legal.

I agree, you may get a pass if they stay in the original containment area but not once they begin to be transported.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: charlie
Shooter, for someone that likes his guns and freedom to shoot and hunt, you sure do seem to have a lot of trust in the government passing laws to try and protect us from ourselves and giving them more regulatory power over us. There is rarely a good reason to change any of.the laws we have to be more restrictive. Enforce the laws on the books and stop encroaching on my freedom in the name of making it easier to protect me from the criminals that will break the new law as easily as the old.
I HATE hogs. All this whiney crap is, is a way for people=hog lovers to spread wild hogs to places they are not already. I do agree with this law. That does not mean I beleive in every law. If YOUR freedom encroches on MY freedom, then you can bet your ass Im going to speak out against it! Some of us= most of us dont want hogs spread all over the state. I like the fact that you cant transport "Feral Hogs" all over Alabama. If you want hogs thats your bussiness, but I will CONTINUE to voice my opinion against them! thumbup

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:32 PM

Hogs were first introduced to the Americas about 600 years ago. The vast majority of their newly acquired territory has been accomplished via man. They dang sure didn't just decide 20-30 years ago to start migrating all over the country.

Almost everywhere I get hog work I get told who brought them to the area and when. I have even had a couple of guys admit they were the guilty party and they just didn't know what a stupid thing it was to do it.
Posted By: Todd1700

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 02:33 PM

Quote:
And too many people started blaming hogs multiplying and spreading on people transporting and releasing them.

And with good reason. They were doing it. I'm just a nobody hick in a little one red light town and I personally knew of 4 different groups of hog hunters that were catching and releasing them in different areas. If I knew of that many people doing it just in my little tiny corner of Alabama then I'll go out on a limb and say it must have been a pretty common thing.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:28 PM

Only reason I brought it up is because the question was asked......

But, since people want to be argumentative........at what point does a breeding pair of registered domestic hogs become 'wild' and identifiable as 'feral'? What about their offspring??? What DNA tests would determine their origin.....much less the intent of the person Transporting?

Some things are better left alone.

And, maybe this is another reason for the rivalry between AU and UA.........Biologists vs Lawyers?? LOL

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter

Hogs were first introduced to the Americas about 600 years ago. The vast majority of their newly acquired territory has been accomplished via man. They dang sure didn't just decide 20-30 years ago to start migrating all over the country.

Almost everywhere I get hog work I get told who brought them to the area and when. I have even had a couple of guys admit they were the guilty party and they just didn't know what a stupid thing it was to do it.

So......at what point were they prosecuted and EXACTLY how is the new Rule preventing it???

Because it was against the Law WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before this new Rule hit the Books!!!!!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:32 PM

Daniel,

I doubt the DCNR can prosecute years after the fact just on hearsay.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:36 PM

I agree....

BUT, the simple TRUTH is that the Law has NOT been actively enforced.

And, all of us 'involved' with the situation KNOW that. Some just will not admit that and somehow think that a 'new' Rule will solve all the problems.

Just a fact. Not trying to be an a$$! smile

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
at what point does a breeding pair of registered domestic hogs become 'wild' and identifiable as 'feral'?

I follow you on this one...

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:41 PM

Guys.....I really WISH I had an answer.

But, I don't! Simple as that!

I do know that if I were compelled to.....I could get in my truck, go empty a load of hogs out of a trap into a trailer and haul them anywhere I wished with ZERO fear of being caught.

The FEAR of being caught and the severity of the penalty is the ONLY deterrent. There is not enough ink to put enough 'words' on paper to do anything about it!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:43 PM

much less the intent of the person Transporting?

Intent isn't hard to prove if you give them time...

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:44 PM

The FEAR of being caught and the severity of the penalty is the ONLY deterrent. There is not enough ink to put enough 'words' on paper to do anything about it!

You are right about that.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:47 PM

Also.....I have to add this.....

My experience has taught me a VALUABLE lesson!!!

There really IS more to the spread of Feral Hogs than asphalt and gasoline. The Introduction of Eurasian-blooded hogs into our already established populations of feral hogs has created an extremely wily and highly adaptable sub-species that is EXTREMELY intelligent and...well.....WILD! They are NOT just domestic-blooded hogs that have evolved and adapted. It is like comparing goats to deer. One is WILD and has instincts that leads to survival and perpetuation of the species while the other just got spooky and wily....but, kept it's same instincts with little survival skills.

These ain't ya Grand-paw's 'wild hogs' anymore! smile

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 08:58 PM

AND.....on the Original Question......

IF they would open the Market for Selling Feral Hogs to Overseas Markets in AL, it would create a market and give reason to kill them. A lot of people (myself included) simply have a Fundamental problem will willfully wasting a viable food source by killing it and leaving it laying.

Come up with a Permit System and only allow Transport to Buying Stations. Whatever.....but, to continue to do the same thing (even if with different 'words') is an exercise in Futility!

I know that a couple years back, we caught over $2500 worth of hogs in 3 days in TX. That is a pretty big incentive to take them to Market and kill them!!! smile

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 09:42 PM

What about the people that have NO problem with leaving them dead where ever they are? What about those who look at hogs as a nusiance and a plague? What if? What if... What if??? Its illegal to transport live wild hogs and should remain this way. Why not come-up with a bounty on hogs for killing them? Would that be cheaper and more useful than " A Permit to transport and setting -up Buying stations"????? Why promote the Transporting of wild hogs when we all know this will only lead to the spread of more hogs in other places???

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 10:05 PM

What about the people that have NO problem with leaving them dead where ever they are? What about those who look at hogs as a nusiance and a plague? What if? What if... What if??? Its illegal to transport live wild hogs and should remain this way. Why not come-up with a bounty on hogs for killing them? Would that be cheaper and more useful than " A Permit to transport and setting -up Buying stations"????? Why promote the Transporting of wild hogs when we all know this will only lead to the spread of more hogs in other places???

Cause, meopta scopes are made by the czechosloviakia slaves, and the mid pressure of the .300 wsm is on the up rise of the inertia. Then on top of that you got a bunch of wild men in Gurley, Al that won't change starters for less than $60 on a Toyota truck thats won't never wear out.. What if... What if... Hogs could be trained to pull a plow?? What?! Thats NutZ.. slap word... yep yep yep.. rofl

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/06/14 10:20 PM

Originally Posted By: daniel white

Cause, meopta scopes are made by the czechosloviakia slaves, and the mid pressure of the .300 wsm is on the up rise of the inertia. Then on top of that you got a bunch of wild men in Gurley, Al that won't change starters for less than $60 on a Toyota truck thats won't never wear out.. What if... What if... Hogs could be trained to pull a plow?? What?! Thats NutZ.. slap word... yep yep yep.. rofl
And 2 donkeys and a bunch of milk cows dont make a donkcow milkaroo???? Makes about as much sense as what you just said??

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:01 AM

Shooters you are on to something!!!!

That's it!!!!

Just write a Law making it illegal for feral hogs to reside in AL!

That will solve the problem!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:03 AM

or shooters could just invent(and of course patent) a pill that you could airdrop to feral hog that will make em explode if the travel over 30mph......problem solved.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:05 AM

Originally Posted By: daniel white

And 2 donkeys and a bunch of milk cows dont make a donkcow milkaroo???? Makes about as much sense as what you just said??

Nope. That would a buckaroo!!! Sorry it went over your head. I thought we was playing the ignorant game. Ehhhh Ooonnnnkkkkkk!!! laugh

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:07 AM

I agree....

And, all of us 'involved' with the situation KNOW that. Some just will not admit that and somehow think that a 'new' Rule will solve all the problems.

How do you KNOW that it hasn't been actively enforced? Have you check all the arrest records to see how many people have been arrested for transporting feral hogs? If you definition of "Actively enforced" is a 100% arrest record of everyone that has transported feral hogs, then I am sure you are correct. But, I would expect that there has been tickets written. Then again, I could be wrong. I haven't checked.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:12 AM

AND.....on the Original Question......

IF they would open the Market for Selling Feral Hogs to Overseas Markets in AL, it would create a market and give reason to kill them. A lot of people (myself included) simply have a Fundamental problem will willfully wasting a viable food source by killing it and leaving it laying.

Come up with a Permit System and only allow Transport to Buying Stations. Whatever.....but, to continue to do the same thing (even if with different 'words') is an exercise in Futility!

I know that a couple years back, we caught over $2500 worth of hogs in 3 days in TX. That is a pretty big incentive to take them to Market and kill them!!! smile

While I like the idea of buying stations (BS), it is not full proof. I know they have had a ton of problems in TX where they catch a bunch of little pigs in the traps. The BS can't make a profit skinning those little ones. So, they don't purchase them from the trapper. So, the trapper simply releases them and catches them again when they get big enough...if they can catch them again.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:26 AM

On a serious note.....

1) I do not see anything in my suggestion that would deter, impede or even have any effect on your ability to do whatever you want to on your property, or property that you have permission to hunt on. It would simply provide an incentive for people to catch/kill more hogs. It would not take any Rights away from anyone!

2) It has ALWAYS been illegal to Transport Feral Hogs. Any 'change' in the wording of that is simply a moot point and totally irrelevant when discussing Control.

3) A Buying Station is a 'for-profit' operation/business. The funds that are utilized to purchase the hogs comes from a free-enterprise market that is already well-established. It is taxable income and the business is licensed and pays taxes as well. The 'Bounty' you are talking about would come from where?? Me? You? All the taxpayers in the State? (even the ones who have never even seen a wild hog, much less had any problems with them) That, to me, is NOT a viable solution and is actually a very Socialist approach.

I do not 'know-it-all'.
And, I am not for the spread of feral hogs.

If it makes me a 'hog-lover' to enjoy hunting them and to be willing manage them on my own property and leases; then so be it. But, that does not mean that I want them to proliferate to other areas of the State. And, the area that I hunt probably has one of the oldest hog herds in the State. They have been here for hundreds of years and are actually a well-established part of the ecosystem. Their numbers and range are quite cyclic and they do often move into 'new' areas that have not had hogs for years. But, rarely do they establish and prosper in these areas. There is a reason that they are not there...food, pressure, water. something....... All in all, the BIGGEST change that we have experienced is the leasing/purchasing of large blocks of land for Recreational Hunting, the habitat enhanced, the food supplemented and all access highly restricted. Unfortunately, this is the PERFECT scenario for feral hogs to live and prosper in!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:27 AM

I'd bet there are still way more hogs trapped with that problem than would be without the buying station set up.....

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:40 AM

Originally Posted By: ElkHunter
I agree....

How do you KNOW that it hasn't been actively enforced? Have you check all the arrest records to see how many people have been arrested for transporting feral hogs? If you definition of "Actively enforced" is a 100% arrest record of everyone that has transported feral hogs, then I am sure you are correct. But, I would expect that there has been tickets written. Then again, I could be wrong. I haven't checked.

I know that there have been tickets written.
But, I also know that most of those were a result of an individual catching the perpetrator, or calling in the info....not active enforcement by the DCNR.
That is not a slam on the DCNR! They are under-staffed and work in a system that allows, and almost 'forces', them to be off work a lot during the Summer months when most of the hog hunting/trapping is taking place.

As I said in another post.....there is VERY little fear of getting caught Transporting. People who are willing to break the Law balance the threat vs the consequences. So, to combat that; either the fear of the threat or the cost of the consequences HAS to be increased!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:44 AM

That's it!!!!

O Yea= whos name I shall never mention again, the great hog master! I am not ON anything. Me being awake at theis time of morning should prove that! If It was in my power to eleminate all feral hogs with a wave of a majic wand I would do it! grin rofl

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:52 AM

That's it!!!!

O Yea= whos name I shall never mention again, the great hog master! I am not ON anything. Me being awake at theis time of morning should prove that! If It was in my power to eleminate all feral hogs with a wave of a majic wand I would do it! grin rofl

LOL

On another serious note.....

You do realize that there are a LOT of people that feel the same way about deer, don't you? ESPECIALLY farmers and Insurance agents!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:56 AM

On a serious note.....

1) I do not see anything in my suggestion that would deter, impede or even have any effect on your ability to do whatever you want to on your property, or property that you have permission to hunt on. It would simply provide an incentive for people to catch/kill more hogs. It would not take any Rights away from anyone!

2) It has ALWAYS been illegal to Transport Feral Hogs. Any 'change' in the wording of that is simply a moot point and totally irrelevant when discussing Control.

3) A Buying Station is a 'for-profit' operation/business. The funds that are utilized to purchase the hogs comes from a free-enterprise market that is already well-established. It is taxable income and the business is licensed and pays taxes as well. The 'Bounty' you are talking about would come from where?? Me? You? All the taxpayers in the State? (even the ones who have never even seen a wild hog, much less had any problems with them) That, to me, is NOT a viable solution and is actually a very Socialist approach.

I do not 'know-it-all'.
And, I am not for the spread of feral hogs.

If it makes me a 'hog-lover' to enjoy hunting them and to be willing manage them on my own property and leases; then so be it. But, that does not mean that I want them to proliferate to other areas of the State. And, the area that I hunt probably has one of the oldest hog herds in the State. They have been here for hundreds of years and are actually a well-established part of the ecosystem. Their numbers and range are quite cyclic and they do often move into 'new' areas that have not had hogs for years. But, rarely do they establish and prosper in these areas. There is a reason that they are not there...food, pressure, water. something....... All in all, the BIGGEST change that we have experienced is the leasing/purchasing of large blocks of land for Recreational Hunting, the habitat enhanced, the food supplemented and all access highly restricted. Unfortunately, this is the PERFECT scenario for feral hogs to live and prosper in!
My remarks on your comments... 1= Who would man these so-called BS stations?? 2= would the State not have to monitor them? 3= Do you think the state will do this for free? I am willing to beat that a bounty system would be more cost effetive than your BS station set-up. YOU are intiled to your opions the same as I am to mine. I beleive that setting -up BS stations for live pigs will only encourage people to transport hogs illegally= JUST like YOu believe suppressors will spread poaching. I dont claim to have all the answers either. I fell hogs are a cancer and need to be removed. On the other hand if you want them on your property thats YOUR business. But I will do what I can to stop the progression and promotion of hogs as a game aniamal and a sport. thumbup

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:59 AM

or shooters could just invent(and of course patent) a pill that you could airdrop to feral hog that will make em explode if the travel over 30mph......problem solved.....
Or maybe I could get a recording of you talking. This could be played on loud speakers. Its would surely run every feral hog out of Alabama! rofl

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:59 AM

No, the Buying Stations are PRIVATE businesses; not run by the State!

They already exist. Do a little Research on it.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 09:02 AM

I know that the guy that I hunt with in TX has to have a Permit and can only travel a direct route from the point of capture to the Buying Station. We simply caught the hogs and placed them in a Stock trailer on the Ranch for 3 days and he hauled em all in on the 3rd day and they were sold by the pound much like a stockyard....without the auction, set price.
Posted By: Bill Dillard

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 09:26 AM

We can transport in Mississippi, see reg.'s below and hold at a destination point.

Hog reg.'s

Hog's have been on my place far a LONG time, just another meat source for me and they are good eating too...

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 10:59 AM

No, the Buying Stations are PRIVATE businesses; not run by the State!

They already exist. Do a little Research on it.
Just got back from gander mt buying more 22 ammo. OK... I will bite. Where are the Buying Stations in ALAbama???? I looked on internet and found them in lots of other states. Even IF the private Stations are run as a Private bussiness, the GW = or someone from the state will have to over see the Feral Hog part correct??? Laws will have to be changed? And state jobs created?? I think a "bounty system" would work better AND be cheaper in the long run. YOU once said= Sportsmen should be allowed to hunt and kil the feral hogs AS OPPOSED to spending money to have them trapped, correct me if im wrong??? YOU were talking WMA, I inderstand that. But overall would a bounty= not let people kill hogs AND collect the bounty WHILE creating less of a need for state funded trapping???

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:04 AM

Why would it take more people????

I do not understand. There already was a permit system in place for Transport. They did not hire people, nor lay any off when they took it away!
The same people who look after the processing plants and such that are already here in AL control the processing. The new businesses would not be plentiful enough to warrant more personnel for them. If they did, the cost would be minimal and likely covered by licensing and taxes on the businesses.

Now, where would all the money for the 'Bounty System' come from? Where would you collect it? Who would man that? How would the hogs be disposed of?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:07 AM

Quote:
YOU were talking WMA, I inderstand that. But overall would a bounty= not let people kill hogs AND collect the bounty WHILE creating less of a need for state funded trapping???

Trapping/killing on Private Land would have NO impact on State run WMA's.

Two separate issues! smile

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:22 AM

I do not understand. There already was a permit system in place for Transport. They did not hire people, nor lay any off when they took it away!
The same people who look after the processing plants and such that are already here in AL control the processing. The new businesses would not be plentiful enough to warrant more personnel for them. If they did, the cost would be minimal and likely covered by licensing and taxes on the businesses.

Now, where would all the money for the 'Bounty System' come from? Where would you collect it? Who would man that? How would the hogs be disposed of?
SAme who's and what's would all so aply to BS stations. How would you change the exiting laws? How would you make this NEW process work? ITs all going to cost money. Your way or mine or anyone elses. Its just all thery anyway. We have laws implace to keep Transporting Live Wild hogs from happening, my vote is we keep it that way. Also what about the disease factor?? Bounty System= other states do it for coyotes and pigs. Some say brig in a ear some say a tail. That way no disposal problem. How would collect them? Just let someone at the court house do it,their are lots of people not doing any work their for sure!! Hell every time you get a tag, you see lots of people just standing around. grin

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:29 AM

SAme who's and what's would all so aply to BS stations. How would you change the exiting laws? How would you make this NEW process work? ITs all going to cost money. Your way or mine or anyone elses. Its just all thery anyway. We have laws implace to keep Transporting Live Wild hogs from happening, my vote is we keep it that way. Also what about the disease factor?? Bounty System= other states do it for coyotes and pigs. Some say brig in a ear some say a tail. That way no disposal problem. How would collect them? Just let someone at the court house do it,their are lots of people not doing any work their for sure!! Hell every time you get a tag, you see lots of people just standing around. grin

Actually.....those are not 'Laws', they are Regulations.

And, all it would take is to REPEAL what was CHANGED!

Now, again.....where would the Bounty money come from?
And, how much should it be??

Heck, I am all for it!
Make it enough, and I will have a new Occupation! LOL

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:33 AM

I also think that you are missing the point that these Stations have NOTHING to do with the DCNR.
They are PRIVATE businesses.

Here is some info from TX:

Q. Can I sell the hogs that I trap off my property?

A.Yes. Many landowners chose to recoup some of their investment in equipment and time by selling some or all of the feral hogs they trap to “buying stations”. To find the buying station nearest you, consult your county Extension agent or contact the nearest Texas Animal Health Commission office.The price paid varies with the market, but usually the largest hogs are worth the most per pound. Buying stations then transport the feral hogs to one of several processing facilities found within the state. Each hog is inspected before processing and the various cuts can be found on restaurant menus in the U.S. as well as exported for consumption in Europe and Asia.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:44 AM

Ok... Regulations. Why change them?? To allow people to transport live wild hogs will only spread them around more. I honestly like the Idea of killing hogs for money too! Helps me pay for more Night Vision toys! thumbup I still feel that the DNRC would have to at least Monitor some of this. That will cost money?? Why do the hogs have to be alive?? What if we worked out a way to sell them to processors,resturants, and so on dead??

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:45 AM

The simple truth is.....COST is a big deterrent to feral hog control.

Paying someone is expensive.
Buying traps, bait and fuel (not counting time!) is expensive.
The perception of 'pressure' by many people deters leassors/club members, which creates turnover....and cost money.

Most landowners, if they are not farmers, really do not incur any additional financial costs from hogs inhabiting their property.

So, simple economics dictates that NOTHING is done.

IF they could recoup there investments...or even earn some money....that may change! smile

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:47 AM

It is against USDA Law to process animals that were delivered dead for commercial sale.

Just like cows and domestic hogs....you cannot take them to the processor already dead!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:48 AM

Bounty system= maybe 50 bucks. This would pay for itself in the long run. Less money spent on State hog control. You could take the = ears or tail to the County Extension Office JUST like you were posting about in Texas, I dont claim to have all the answers either. I simply think moving around Wild Hogs should be illegal, and we should not change the regulations!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:50 AM

It is against USDA Law to process animals that were delivered dead for commercial sale.

Just like cows and domestic hogs....you cannot take them to the processor already dead!
I have taken deer to My proccesor and have seen hogs at the processor. Now if you are talking about a USDA processor= I admit I know nothing about that.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 11:55 AM

The perception of 'pressure' by many people deters leassors/club members, which creates turnover....and cost money.

Most landowners, if they are not farmers, really do not incur any additional financial costs from hogs inhabiting their property.

IF they could recoup there investments...or even earn some money....that may change! smile
OK I can agree with some of that.... Im not totally hard-headed! grin But I disagree on the landowner part. The groups I have worked for in Mississippi and Georgia are peanut farms and are loosing great revenue on both ends. From their crops AND from the lease value of the price they can lease the land in the hunting season. So I have to disagree about the point of" economics". But i do see you point on smaller land tracts.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 12:01 PM

Hogwild,

I have worked for several landowners the past couple of years that have lost lots of revenue because of the hogs. While they are not farmers, they lease the farming rights out just as they lease out the hunting rights. Many of them have completely lost the farming rights revenue because the farmers can't raise a crop and the hunting clubs are punting because the turkeys and deer are not near what they used to be.

I hope to lease one of these places next summer. It has been a long standing hunting club and farming location. I hope to lease it for the hunting and start hammering the hogs so that the landowner can start leasing the farming rights out again.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 04:34 PM

Yep.....and that is why excluded Farmers in my original statement. But, I guess that the landowner who leases out farmland also is hurt. And that is BAD!

BUT, AL is only 27% Farmland.....and most of that is pasture land. While row crop farmers are a small number; they take a substantial hit!!! I agree with that 100%!!!!!

But, the reality is, the new Regulations have little real impact on their well-being. That is why I called it a 'feel good' Rule! There is absolutely NOTHING that the DCNR does to prevent someone from coming in and buying or leasing the land adjoining the farmland and allowing the hog herd to become grossly over-populated. BUT, they will enforce the HWOP and Trespass Laws on the farmers, their agents and any hunters on their property that crosses the property line to eradicate a hog/hogs.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 06:16 PM

Hey, shooters......u mite want to re-think your strategy!
Here are the current prices from the guy my buddy sells to in TX:

60 to 100 pounds 50 cents per pound
101 to 150 pounds 50 cents per pound with 5.00 dollar bonus
151 pounds and up 50 cents per pound with a 10.00 dollar bonus

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 06:20 PM

When we leaving??? shocked

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 06:28 PM

LOL!

Michael works on a HUGE Ranch that is loaded with hogs. He makes about as much catching hogs as he does working there!

Not saying that this is 'THE' way to eradicate hogs.
But, it is undeniable that it would provide a huge incentive to trap/catch them!

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 07:00 PM

Just got in from hunting. That does sound tempting. I am the first to admit= I like money!!!! grin 100 lbs hog is worth 50 dollars? Thing is im already getting 50 per hog, regardless of size when trapping or NV shooting. But I must say I like the "bonus" pay idea, them big ones hurt my back when Im dragging them. IF a BS Station OR a bounty will work im all for making some money. My only worry is still transporting and spreading wild pigs around Alabama. But many people my worry about suppressor hunting. Only time will tell. Like i said, i dont know it all, or have all the answers. But I think we can both agree, it would be nice for something to be done about over population< in some areas> in alabama. thumbup
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 08:41 PM

If you haul them to be processed they end up dead anyway, just a day or so later. They aren't turned out on other property.

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/07/14 09:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys...took me forever to read these four pages it seems like. So to kind of throw a few things out there..The "buying stations"or(BS)that you guys are refering to is exactly what i was wondering about.The intention was NEVER to just capture and release them in another area and I also understand all of the red tape and "what if's" if you attempted to claim the feral hogs as pinned livestock...check. This guy has a lil added incentive with an adjacent landowner and a gas line company. Hes spoken with them and theyve agreed to let him have exclusive deer rights to an additional 3500 acres that will bring him to a total of around 4700 acres to hunt. His father is up in age and will be hunting too but as you guys know...4700 and 2 hunters is extremly good ratio,so as of rite now hes attempting to trap the hogs and kill on sight. The meat will not be wasted as he will keep a few for himself and whatever he can give away for a good cause is his intentions. I did read a lil bit about the process of capturing and transporting in TX. This is what got me wondering if the same oppurtunity was available here in AL. After reading the responses and conversation i pretty much understand the whole thing. Thanks for the input. You guys are awesome.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/09/14 11:24 AM

Just a thought, but could the meat be donated to a charitable organization and be tax deductible?

Re: "Transporting live wild hogs" - 11/12/14 11:26 AM

Originally Posted By: scrubbuck
Just a thought, but could the meat be donated to a charitable organization and be tax deductible?

Not sure about hogs but you can get a $10 deduction for any deer donated. Don't know why that shouldn't work on hogs as well.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM