Aldeer.com

Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted

Posted By: MTeague

Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/29/14 10:54 PM

What are some of the "not so normal" places you have ever hunted?

About 10 years ago i had permission to hunt (bow only) the Hartselle Airport. I was able to gain permission because the deer were always out on the runway when planes were trying to land. I never got the chance to sling an arrow at one but i did see a few.
Posted By: PEA_RIDGE

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/29/14 11:36 PM

THE BACK SIDE OF A RESIDENTIAL NEIGHBORHOOD. I COULD SEE THE MONTEVALLO ELEMENTARY SCHOOL AND HEAR THE KIDS OUT AT RECESS FROM THE TREE.. IT WAS BOW ONLY AND THE HIGHER UPS EVEN MADE ME A GREEN FIELD.. KILT 6 OUT OF IT
Posted By: JTapia

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 12:49 AM

A Reclaimed Water Pumping Station and Spray Field.
I would sit on top of the MCC and could see the entire spray field and Pond. Killed a really nice 7 point and 2 basket sixes from there. Saw a shore enough cod dragger about 700 yards out in the field but I wasn't that sure with the gun I was using to make that shot.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 05:55 AM

I hunt a military base and many of these areas (bow only) have buildings, tanks, and kinds of structures/equipment. It's weird, but the deer behave normally.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 06:36 AM

I've hunted a couple of neighborhoods I maintained. Rich people eventually get pissed when the pretty deer eat all their flowers and shrubs.
Posted By: RedArrow3

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 07:15 AM

Killed one Saturday morning and I could see cars going up and down the busiest road on lookout Mt. The lookout Mt.park way grin
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 07:15 AM

I'm college while playing ball i was able to hunt my schools athletic fields inside the perimeter in Atlanta. There was a little shelter belt of woods that ran along a large creek on the back side of the property. I was only able to hunt about 100 acres of the woods. But the woods follow the creek for many miles so there is a lot of land inter connected with development on both sides. Imagine the mid west the trees follow the water but instead of crop fields bordering its neighborhoods and strip malls. I killed 11 deer in 2 year out there. I could watch my buddies get extra work in the cages, a girls soccer practice, and kill deer at the same time.

Also I hunt a piece of property in central florida that borders Disney. You can see the Epcot ball and the magic kingdoms fireworks from the property.

Done a lot of hunting on small little 10-20 acre blocks in residential areas. Hunting was good always threw me off seeing children playing, or people working in their yards while your in a tree.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 07:20 AM

Liberty Park golf course....with a rifle. First deer I killed in Jefferson Co in 1992 was on a fairway with a 264WM.
Posted By: Abram

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 07:29 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Liberty Park golf course....with a rifle. First deer I killed in Jefferson Co in 1992 was on a fairway with a 264WM.

That adds new meaning to a hole in one grin
Posted By: NickC

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 08:20 AM

I hunt on an Army base. At times you can hear explosions, cars going by, people talking/yelling. I have about jumped out of my tree stand a few times from random loud noises breaking the silence of an early winter morning.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 08:37 AM

Oakmulgee WMA
Posted By: mirage243

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 08:45 AM

My best bow kill was from an oil pumping rig in Texas, I had watched this buck walk by it at the same time every morning from about half mile away. I set up on the rig and sure as schit he came by at the same time as normal. When he was getting close I drew my bow behind the rig and waited, he was so close when I shot him that I didn't even use my pins, I just looked down the arrow. When I shot him he just looked around and licked his side where the arrow went in, didn't run or anything, he took about 4-5 steps and then stopped and started getting wobbly in the knees, he fell over, kicked a couple of times and was dead as a hammer, 7 yards from where I was standing.
Posted By: Tambo252

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 08:46 AM

Don't know that you'd consider it a weird place, but I used to hunt a lease right off the interstate. I'd have to park my truck and then cross the four lanes of Interstate 59 to get to my tree stand. I freaked a few people out when their headlights hit some crazy woman running across the road with a rifle...LOL
Posted By: Hunting-231

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 09:21 AM

Not a peculiar place - but sitting on the edge of a 200-foot cliff overlooking a bottom knowing that if I slipped it would be a very bad day.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Tambo252
Don't know that you'd consider it a weird place, but I used to hunt a lease right off the interstate. I'd have to park my truck and then cross the four lanes of Interstate 59 to get to my tree stand. I freaked a few people out when their headlights hit some crazy woman running across the road with a rifle...LOL

I can hear the 911 call now. rofl
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 09:30 AM

When I was in school at Auburn a guy gave me permission to bow hunt a 15 acre piece along Moores Mill Rd next to the golf course (which they were building at the time). I never hunted it because it was not very big and "in town". The next year a 144 inch 9 pt was run over crossing out of that 15 acre tract.

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 09:40 AM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: Tambo252

I can hear the 911 call now. rofl

Oh I can guarantee you there were some calls!! LOL
Posted By: Bud Meadows

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 10:12 AM

Namibia (Africa) twice. It's weird hearing hyenas howling when you're trying to fall asleep or having elephants charge you in your rental car (in Etosha National Park)

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 10:37 AM

Bud, we hunted Zimbabwe, Arda Camp. My tent had a broken front zipper and would not close. Every other night a big male Leopard came by out tent making a hell of a racket voicing his displeasure at our being there. I slept with a 375 in the bed with me and piled everything in the tent at the opening. PH didn't help much when he said Leopards don't "USUALLY" attack folks sleeping...and the old female lion that SILENTLY came into camp every night was prolly a bigger danger. Thanks loads fella....
Posted By: SilverBandedLabs

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 10:45 AM

While I was in college there was an old playground just through the woods behind our baseball field. Our coach would keep rye grass in the shed for our field. A couple of us would borrow a bag and plant it on the old playground. We had a nice little green field.
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:18 AM

Went to Missouri about 12 years ago to hunt with a buddy of mine that grew up there and we arrive the night before. We wake up have some coffee and he tells us that we are just going across the road in front of his house and will be hunting an acorn flat. He said to make sure that other folks didnt see us if we saw anyone, which I just figured that was because we were hunting a public hunting area.

Once it got daylight, I noticed what looked like a paved or limestone walkway and at first I thought, WOW they really do their WMA right here Mo. Then I start seeing a steady flow of deer eating acorns all around me. I decided that I am only going to shoot a good buck and let several smaller bucks pass. Then I look up and here comes a man with a little girl walking down the path, without camo. I am thinking damn tourist or PETA. Then there are more folks, joggers hikers and then a entire bus of school kids. I am pretty high up in this tree and about 70 yards away from the path. By this time, I am pissed, thinking what the hell.

I decide to climb down and get back to the house. When I cross the street I look back and see this sign that says Federal Game Park, Absolutely NO HUNTING, etc etc.

I was about ready to kill my friend. He explained to me that used to hunt that area all the time then they turned it into some type of park and fixed up all the trails. I am lucky that I didn't shoot a deer and end up in some Federal prison. That was the last time I have gone back to Neosho Missouri to hunt with my buddy.
Posted By: JohnGibby

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:30 AM

Not so much a abnormal place to hunt, but something happened that literally almost made me crap my pants. Back in the 80s, Dad & I went hunting on Crow Mountain somewhere. We got in before sunrise and Dad dropped me off hunting over some green field at the top of this bluff. Beautiful cold, crisp morning. I was real excited with my spot as I had the bluff to my back and green field in front of me.

Everything was fine until somewhere around 7am, the woods exploded. I was facing north and from the south a fighter jet came hauling from the south. It felt like he was skimming the treetops, but I'm sure he wasn't. But I didn't hear him coming at all and it was almost the definition of "scared the crap out of me". I'll never forget that.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:34 AM

Oak Mountain, a naval bombing range in Texas (when not being bombed of course), neighborhood on Lake Martin.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:42 AM

I hunted a neighborhood while I was in school at Auburn years ago. I put a stand in a tree about 5-6 ft. from the house on the road side of the house. I was watching cars go by, when I heard a knock on the window and the lady that lived there opened the second level window and rolled a tv in front of it and turned it up so i could watch the Auburn game while hunting. Spined one to the ground late in the 3rd quarter and then finished watching the game. ended up killing several in that neighborhood, including another one from a porch while talking to the owner.
Posted By: MarkBAMA

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:50 AM

I have killed a few around cemeteries in the past. I always thought it was a good place for them to die.
Posted By: JohnGibby

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 11:53 AM

Originally Posted By: HHSyelper
I hunted a neighborhood while I was in school at Auburn years ago. I put a stand in a tree about 5-6 ft. from the house on the road side of the house. I was watching cars go by, when I heard a knock on the window and the lady that lived there opened the second level window and rolled a tv in front of it and turned it up so i could watch the Auburn game while hunting. Spined one to the ground late in the 3rd quarter and then finished watching the game. ended up killing several in that neighborhood, including another one from a porch while talking to the owner.

That is funny.

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 01:08 PM

That's pretty much awesome.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 01:31 PM

Who won the game? Cool story.
Posted By: Talltines

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 02:19 PM

Cotton picker, A dump truck, And a water pivot on a sod farm that had Cotton or soybeans on the outer edge of the the sod farm. the messican would stop cutting grass around 4:30 and the deer would pile out of the woods when they fired there trucks up to go home.
Posted By: JA

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 04:05 PM

I've hunted out of an old abandoned car at my aunt's pace in Georgia. If it was really cold, we'd keep the window rolled up and just roll it down to shoot.
Posted By: hunting13

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 05:10 PM

Deer- When I was at Auburn I hunted on the golf course behind the our townhouse @ Northpointe, It was right off of Shug Jordan parkway. I stuck one that died on the edge of Shug and stuck on that died on a tee box. Had to clean that one in my buddies bathtub. Was weird

Turkey- I killed several behind my high school. Killed one that was strutting in our football practice field. He died about 5 yards out of bounds
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/30/14 09:33 PM

Gadsden Airport, About 100 yards from the Jacksonville State Criminal Justice Building, and an old bread truck at one of the clubs I was in.
Posted By: jweant

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 09:00 AM

Originally Posted By: hunting13

Deer- When I was at Auburn I hunted on the golf course behind the our townhouse @ Northpointe, It was right off of Shug Jordan parkway. I stuck one that died on the edge of Shug and stuck on that died on a tee box. Had to clean that one in my buddies bathtub. Was weird

Turkey- I killed several behind my high school. Killed one that was strutting in our football practice field. He died about 5 yards out of bounds

Yea there's alot of deer in the residential areas of Auburn. I've got permission to hunt a piece of land that is bordered on 3 sides by neighborhoods in the same vicinity as you had hunting13.
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 10:24 AM

A friend of mine lived in Calloway while @ Auburn. We got pretty good at shooting a bow out of the bathroom window.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 11:36 AM

Within sight of the Selma Walmart. Years n years ago.

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 12:13 PM

in the basement of the Wilsonville Steam Plant.....with a flashlight...and a silenced 22.....fun times.
Posted By: knowlless

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 02:37 PM

I may or may not have killed a few off of that same golf course.
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 10/31/14 10:24 PM

Setting in a catch lot. I also used to hunt some at my wife's aunts house. I made a "blind" with a lawn mower and a wheel barrel beside her shed in the back yard.
Posted By: Stob

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/01/14 04:08 PM

Baiting up coons in my backyard for nighttime eradication.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/01/14 08:11 PM

Many years ago a old cemetery on Miller Mt. sitting backed up to a tombstone.

I have a ladder stand in the edge of a cemetery on our place, good place to hunt and the occupants have never complained.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/01/14 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: knowlless

The biggest deer in Lee County live on the Auburn Fisheries property...or so I've heard.
Posted By: QDMAV8R

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/02/14 02:17 PM

Sitting on a log skidder in a thinning cut about 45 minutes after they knocked off for the day. Like clock work deer came to check out all the days activity. It was smack dang in the middle of the January rut and I could see more rut activity than I had ever before in Alabama. Yep...bring on the loggers in January!!!
Posted By: Ike McCaslin

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/02/14 05:14 PM

A buddy and I were checking our scopes several years ago in Heflin. We were shooting across a big cut bean field at midday. We rarely rifle hunted then and were mostly playing... shooting 400+ yards, which was out of our leagues. Regardless, with sandbags and a box or so of rounds each we started keeping them in our respective targets.

As we were about to start cleaning up and head to get the targets a doe comes trotting aimlessly out of the treeline. We sat back down at the bench and waited for her to stop...which she did within 20 yds of the target we had just been shooting. I counted to 3 and we both touched one off. Dropped like a rock.

When we got to her, one of us had made a perfect heart shot... the other high in the a$$. We were both shooting .270's with very similar bullets, so we've been arguing about who hit where ever since.
Posted By: Gig

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/03/14 10:57 AM

6pt in my back yard out of my shop window day after Thanksgiving last year.

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/03/14 11:44 AM

Auburn won of course, that was the undefeated probation year. I may have killed a few really near that same golf course, and also out at grand national golf. Those were some good times, back when you could still ask permission and get it mostly.

On another note, I got permission to hunt a place while down there, buy castrating about 80 calves one day. I pulled up at a man's barn to ask permission after work, in dress pants and shirt, to have a calf break loose and run out the barn right into me. I tackled it and carried it back in and ended up working for a few hours. He let me hunt from then on on his place.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/04/14 10:31 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
in the basement of the Wilsonville Steam Plant.....with a flashlight...and a silenced 22.....fun times.

Dayum. You need to be helping Eugene get to D.C. with them skills!
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/04/14 10:41 AM

Let's see...

I've shot deer off a tractor, loader, road grader, out of several houses, and off of a big dead man cooler that was in the bed of my truck...in my boxers (long story)

I killed a turkey while laying underneath the same road grader one morning. He was close when he gobbled, wasn't much cover, so I improvised...
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/04/14 11:05 AM

at the damn Auburn University Club???? I would assume this was a long time ago??? if not yall have some balls. I couldnt even get permission to fish out there and i played ball with one of the owners sons
Posted By: Delta Dave

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/04/14 11:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold
Let's see...

I've shot deer ...in my boxers (long story)

Why was a deer wearing your boxers? crazy

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/04/14 12:33 PM

Nope, all legal. I had permission from land owners that joined both golf courses.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/09/14 05:55 PM

I was a member at Kinney Grove baptist church in Cullman co.I have hunted many times within feet of our parking lot.The church is set off the road quite a ways through some tall pines and many times we would spook deer out of the parking lot on Sunday mornings.So I put 2 and 2 together.Got a nice 9 point out of it.
Posted By: emb

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/21/14 04:31 PM

shot one off of my back porch with a bow.The deer ran 3 houses down and ended up in a ladys backyard that wasn't happy at all.She called the sheriffs dept.They showed up,they called dnr.The dnr spoke with the woman,and helped me drag the deer back to my house.I stopped shooting them after they started putting up "stop killing our deer" signs.
Posted By: knowlless

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/21/14 08:05 PM

Let me just say this. There was an absolute lunatic that hung around that golf course all the time. I believe I was told at some point the he may have been the greens keeper over there. Anyway, one day I walked up on him (I wasn't hunting that time) and he wigged the heck out. He chased me for what seemed like 10 miles thru those woods. He was hollering and screaming some crap about getting the national guard after me. Long story short, I held up in the woods for about 5 hours til I was sure he was gone. I would see cops riding around that place a lot after that. Needless to say, those hunting grounds dried up for me. Fast forward to present day, I have since heard through some friends of mine in the area that a big developer has bought that whole part of the world up. It's a shame cause that property was meant for building houses on. I hear the builder has posted all this stuff about liability and trespassing. From what I understand, the place is built up with houses. I guess like everything else, all good things come to an end.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/21/14 09:23 PM

Shot one twenty steps from back door. Let the two other ones go for another year. Shortest drag ever!
Climbed up someone else's stand that I came up on in woods for first time and within fifteen minutes shot a seven point.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Not So Normal Places You Have Ever Hunted - 11/23/14 12:26 AM

Something about a country cemetery. There are always a deer or 2 around it seems. Some of the state's WMAs have cemeteries or land near cemeteries. I've known guys who always like to check out those places.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM