Aldeer.com

What trees to plant around a lake?

Posted By: jchan

What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 07:26 PM

We are building a 2 acre lake on the back of our new property. I plan to plant the back edge (which is near a good bedding area) with a big greenfield, a few persimmon trees, and maybe some sawtooths. On the east and west sides of the lake, I need to plant something to help shade some of it for evaporation control, and just general shade. What types of trees would be good for this that are fast growing?
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 08:17 PM

Bald cypress just inside the waters edge would do great.
Posted By: pab

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 08:17 PM

Heck fire and save the matches, plant the best there is, CYPRESS.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 08:21 PM

We use to have red maples growing around the edge of ours. They would hang over the water about 4' and about 2' from the surface of the water. Bass would bed and feed under those trees. It was dangerous to skip a Pop R under those in the Spring.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 08:33 PM

Plant some willows. They love boggy areas. Not weeping ones.

Cypress is good too, but they aren't fast growing at all up here. I planted 2 in 1999, only one lived (a bull killed the other one) and the survivor is maybe 20 feet tall now. It is growing in the top end of our pond. In just a few inches of water.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
Plant some willows. They love boggy areas. Not weeping ones.

Cypress is good too, but they aren't fast growing at all up here. I planted 2 in 1999, only one lived (a bull killed the other one) and the survivor is maybe 20 feet tall now. It is growing in the top end of our pond. In just a few inches of water.

Yep, black willows are good for mayflies, too. Good place to bream fish.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 09:01 PM

none on the dam
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/23/14 10:19 PM

Persimmons do great around water. We have several around our pond and the deer are always hitting them. Away from the water I would consider sawtooth oaks and apple trees

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/26/14 07:30 PM

Where is the best place to buy in the Gadsden area? We are also looking for some good evergreen spruce type trees for property border/privacy. Thanks for all the ideas guys.

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/26/14 07:41 PM

Can a mod move this to the General Forum...doh1
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/26/14 08:50 PM

See if a green ash will grow in your area.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: What trees to plant around a lake? - 10/26/14 08:56 PM

Ever green id say green giant arborvitae. Leland cypress have a disease wearing them out.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM