Aldeer.com

Skyline Wma

Posted By: desertdog

Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:03 AM

Would anyone be interested in getting some groups together on some of the gun hunts and making man drives? We could switch up drivers and standers on each area we push. I would like to start on the new land the Wma acquired a couple years ago, where all the booners live.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:05 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Joe4majors

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:18 AM

I'll have these available in various sizes with only a small mark up in price.

Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:23 AM

Sorry bud. I only hunt with straight guys.
Posted By: NickC

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:30 AM

Isnt driving deer on a WMA illegal? I was under the impression that it was. Not trying to be a smart-A (which is odd I know).
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 09:36 AM

Originally Posted By: NickC
Isnt driving deer on a WMA illegal? I was under the impression that it was. Not trying to be a smart-A (which is odd I know).

Nope
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 11:18 AM

They do it all the time at oakmulgee no matter if the know hunters are in there or not. mad
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 11:27 AM

Hunters are their own worst enemy. Case and point right here ^^^
Posted By: foldemup

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 01:54 PM

I vote a big strong NO on that idea...you're gonna really piss someone off if they are in there still hunting and you take a group of yahoos in there trying to do a man drive.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 02:02 PM

Better bring you some corks, you might have to plug up a few holes!
Posted By: rblaker

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 02:26 PM

I'm with Casey on that. A lot of people have put in the time to scout and find a good spot up there and if you come through trying to have a deer drive you can bet you're gonna get an earful from anybody you run across. There's a place for that kind of thing and I think it shouldn't be on public lands.
Posted By: 699

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 02:33 PM

I think this practice would be ok in the NF but not a WMA during a gun hunt
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 05:36 PM

If you didn't get shot id bet money you get you azz whooped for it. Better be a big boy before you start doin that. The hillbillys up there don't mess around.
Posted By: bgarrett

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 05:49 PM

I don't hunt WMA or NF but dang would I be ticked off for anyone to be tracking through the woods acting a fool.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 06:41 PM

That is just part of the risk you take when it comes to hunting public land.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Haybale
If you didn't get shot id bet money you get you azz whooped for it. Better be a big boy before you start doin that. The hillbillys up there don't mess around.

^^^^^^ This

And I might help the hillbillies

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 06:51 PM

Posted By: shooters

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
I'll have these available in various sizes with only a small mark up in price.

Break Out the U S Palm body armor and stand alone crematic plates!
Posted By: bgarrett

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 07:24 PM

I may have to go on one of these public land hunts just to see how crazy it is. I sure have read a lot of strange posts on aldeer. I did go on Butler WMA when I was a kid. I saw 8-10 doe piled up at one camp. They were about 40-60 lb. each. Didn't think it was very safe place with all those hundreds of guns.

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 10:45 PM

Well it looks like ridgestalker is the only volunteer shocked Rocket I though u would be the first to get in on this with your expertise in mapping you could have mapped out the grids for each drive and put the standers in place

Seriously though people do this on more Wma's than you would think. I know a group that goes to Mulberry Fork and still hunt until 9 then make man drives the rest of the day. They just get in to the kool aid too early in the day for me and I just don't feel safe going with them.
Posted By: Southwood7

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/15/14 11:07 PM

Y'all must not hunt wmas much if you don't think people put on man drives reguraly. I pushed some cutover last year on cahaba WMA with a couple of friends who are members on this site and there was nothing unsafe about it. Every time I have hunted coosa WMA there are going to be groups of guys walking the cutovers. Usually they do this mid morning to mid day.
Posted By: exciteman

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 12:10 AM

Please show a little respect for other hunters. I'd be tempted to put a hole in you myself!
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 06:45 AM

Originally Posted By: desertdog
Well it looks like ridgestalker is the only volunteer shocked Rocket I though u would be the first to get in on this with your expertise in mapping you could have mapped out the grids for each drive and put the standers in place

Seriously though people do this on more Wma's than you would think. I know a group that goes to Mulberry Fork and still hunt until 9 then make man drives the rest of the day. They just get in to the kool aid too early in the day for me and I just don't feel safe going with them.

WTH all I posted was me eating a little popcorn.Best thing to do is set that baby on fire hour before daylight and get to the other side.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 07:07 AM

Y'all would sure enough go nuts if y'all hunted some of the public land up in Ohio, in the shotgun season week. laugh
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 07:48 AM

Skyline is different than most WMAs in Bama. I've been to Barbour co wma and was kinda shocked how different ppl hunt down there. I guess it's just kind of an unwritten rule.

I don't really have a prob with drives, but you better be in mountain climber shape to drive Skyline.

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 08:42 AM

No way I would want to man drive Skyline WMA, to steep and too much chance of getting some lead slung at you azz! thumbup

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 09:46 AM

All kidding about the hillbillies aside ... I guess I just feel like driving would be so inconsiderate to the other hunters and take so little skill. Just my $0.02 ...
Posted By: wmd

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 10:03 AM

Here are my thoughts.

1. I don't think there is anybody on this site tough enough/stupid enough to walk the cutover on top of Jacobs Mountain. Unless it has opened up a lot in the past two years, walking through it ain't gonna be an option. You might could belly crawl down a deer trail but even that won't be easy.

2. Given some of the comments on here, I find them somewhat ironic because if you read through most topics on here about hunting public land seems like somebody always recommends getting in early, staying all day, ..., and let the OCPHs push the deer by you.

3. Having done a lot of dog hunts and deer drives growing up, every deer doesn't run wide open to the next county out in front of the dogs and drivers. Most of the big deer that were killed during drives were killed trying to slip out the backside after the dogs or drivers went by.
Posted By: Hossfly

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 06:25 PM

I was hunting Cahaba WMA a few years ago and was sitting in my stand in a sweet spot at the crack of daylight and all of a sudden the woods lit up with a mandrive. I was pretty ticked off about it. Maybe I'm wrong but I felt like it messed up the hunting after they left.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/16/14 07:23 PM

Quote:
and let the OCPHs push the deer by you.

grin Hadn't heard that in a while.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/19/14 06:57 AM

do we not care about the other hunters hunting that day.
Posted By: paintrock

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 04:08 AM

Respect other hunters that are in the area. I have been walked up on too many times. My father had a guy start cutting up a dead tree beside our truck about an hour before dark. My old man's hillbilly side showed at that point.
Posted By: hilltop

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 09:38 AM

Why don't we just get a bunch of hounds together and we can let them go and we won't have to do any walking.
Posted By: Haybale

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: hilltop
Why don't we just get a bunch of hounds together and we can let them go and we won't have to do any walking.
dogs won't run on skyline. Shooters has set off a fogger of his dog spray in the valley up there.
Posted By: Hossfly

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 07:38 PM

I think that on WMA's, man drives should be allowed only between 10-2. That should give everybody a chance to enjoy their style of hunting.
Posted By: rmurphree

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 08:24 PM

I am local for this area. Just to be honest i would not come up to skyline with that ignorance. These lands are prime hunting for many people and you need to hunt it properly or stay out.
Posted By: rmurphree

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 08:34 PM

These areas are very good hunting and most of the stories you hear are from people showing up hunting that are not real hunters. 1.They come in way after daylight 2.They don't scout it at all 3.They shoot anything that walks
I live in this area and hunt it as often as i can. If you want to kill a deer do it like a sportsman.

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Haybale

Originally Posted By: hilltop
dogs won't run on skyline. Shooters has set off a fogger of his dog spray in the valley up there.
Thats a good one! grin All dogs that make it will be treated like pitbulls= shot twice and drug down the rode! rofl

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: rmurphree
These areas are very good hunting and most of the stories you hear are from people showing up hunting that are not real hunters. 1.They come in way after daylight 2.They don't scout it at all 3.They shoot anything that walks
I live in this area and hunt it as often as i can. If you want to kill a deer do it like a sportsman.

Your good r murphree. thumbup I just like to stir the pot with the Jackson County hunters. Yall are a thightly wound bunch up there.

Once again I will say there is a time and place for this. I have been at Cahaba Wma and drove past a group of 15 or 20 trucks making man drives. Never once did I think about stopping and telling them they weren't real sportsman though.
Posted By: wmd

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/20/14 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: rmurphree

Amazing ... so folks that wait until daylight and stalk to their spot aren't real hunters? Folks that use technology to locate hunting spots instead of tromping through the woods aren't real hunters? And folks that kill legal deer aren't real hunters?

Folks that do drives (where legal) on public land that they have just as much right to hunt the way they like to hunt aren't real hunters or sportsmen?

Learn all kinds of things on this site!
Posted By: exciteman

Re: Skyline Wma - 10/21/14 01:52 AM

Oh, too bad, somebody stepped on your toes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM