Aldeer.com

New member with a question

Posted By: tn_droptine

New member with a question - 09/30/14 04:00 PM

Hello all - I'm sure I'll catch heck for this being my first post, but here goes anyways, lol.

I'm currently overseas and will be heading down to AL for a hunt sometime the first half of January, the outfitter that I was going to hunt with does not have the dates open that I was able to hunt, so now it is back to the drawing board.

Can anyone recommend an outfitter? I have a few that I have gotten replies from, and in order to not be labeled as a "pot stirrer" or "troll" I will leave the names of the outfitters out of the thread for now to see what the masses have to recommend.

Also, any particular outfitters to stay away from (please include a reason)?

Thanks in advance for the help, this will be my first hunt through an outfitter so I am taking as many precautions as I can.
Posted By: buzzard

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 04:27 PM

I have hunted with and would recommend (no particular order)
Bent Creek Lodge
Southern Sportsman Hunting lodge
PaKo Plantation

Others will chime in with more for you.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 05:14 PM

Southern Sportsman if you want to kill big deer. Know a feller that used to guide there, sure he will chime in soon
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 05:28 PM

Any particular reason your picking alabama? I'dprobably head north of I were you
Posted By: tpbf

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 05:35 PM

South eastern White tail imo more impressive when you shoot a MONSTER
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 05:41 PM

Originally Posted By: tpbf
South eastern White tail imo more impressive when you shoot a MONSTER

On a fully guided hunt?
Posted By: tpbf

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 06:10 PM

Who said anything about fully guided, maybe the guy wants partial. What's the big deal just an opinion.

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 06:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Any particular reason your picking alabama? I'dprobably head north of I were you

I will probably go north next year, but with my short amount of time that I will be back in the States I chose AL due to the ability for me to hunt in January.
Posted By: Seminole93

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 06:22 PM

There are benefit hunts for local schools in Marengo and I believe Wilcox county during the rut in January. Very good value and some good people put these hunts on. Do a search on Marengo County School hunt......

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: tpbf
Who said anything about fully guided, maybe the guy wants partial. What's the big deal just an opinion.

Don't really need a fully guided, actually prefer to not have a guide sit with me the whole time. The wife will be accompanying me on the trip, so I'm sure she will want to tag along to the stand at least in the evenings (she'll prob roll over and throw a pillow at me if I wake her at 4am, lol)

Re: New member with a question - 09/30/14 06:32 PM

Oh, and meant to say - if they have a scoring based off SCI then I'm not interested. Canned hunts aren't my thing
Posted By: blumsden

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 06:21 AM

Droptine, are you in the military?
Posted By: 699

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 07:04 AM

Try Dream Lake and Lodge www.dreamlakelodge.com

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 07:06 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Droptine, are you in the military?

I spent six years active duty, I am currently overseas supporting an Army unit in Afghanistan as an Army civilian contractor.

All together I have spent two years in Iraq and will be finishing up my fourth year in Afghanistan in December.

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 07:20 AM

Thanks, for your service. Your welcome to come hunt with me at my club, but can't gurantee you will have somewhere for your wife to sit. Most stands are single ladder, or loc-ons. We're not a trophy club, we try to shoot 3 y/o or better.
Posted By: leroycnbucks

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 08:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Seminole93
There are benefit hunts for local schools in Marengo and I believe Wilcox county during the rut in January. Very good value and some good people put these hunts on. Do a search on Marengo County School hunt......

This ^^^^^ also call Macon East Montgomery Academy and Monroe.

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 08:28 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Thanks, for your service. Your welcome to come hunt with me at my club, but can't gurantee you will have somewhere for your wife to sit. Most stands are single ladder, or loc-ons. We're not a trophy club, we try to shoot 3 y/o or better.

Man, really appreciate the gesture but I know the wife wants to sit with me since the 15th of Jan I head back overseas. So her going with me is part of the agreement for me doing an out-of-state hunt.

Next fall should be a different story, may work out something where you come on a hunt up on my land in TN in exchange - let me know if you would be interested

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 08:36 AM

Sure, i would be interested. That would be great. You could always bring a pop up ground blind, if you can't find anything else. Let me know.
Posted By: Talltines

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 01:08 PM

First off Appreciate your service.

Master Rack lodge Heard good things about them

Southern Sportsman Hunting Lodge Talk to Dave Lyons,
Posted By: alhawk

Re: New member with a question - 10/01/14 08:52 PM

Take a look at this post and pm velvet tines with any questions. She and her husband have been on this hunt several times and have a great time. Might take my oldest daughter this year.

http://www.aldeer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=69903&Number=828147#Post828147
© 2024 ALDEER.COM