Aldeer.com

Diakon radish

Posted By: .308

Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:37 PM

Any of you planted them? If so how well did the deer eat them? I'm thinking of planting them instead of winter peas.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:41 PM

The Deer Magnet mix has radishes and peas in it. They ate ours up last year. Last year was the first year for us to plant. Shout out to 2Dogs.
Posted By: M48scout

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:44 PM

Any actual reports of them digging up the radish portion? I've heard of it, but I can't seem to imagine them doing it in all cases.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:47 PM

They did some of ours. Some they ate down to the dirt. Those things will stick out of the dirt 3-4 ". At least they did on our place last year.
Posted By: .308

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:51 PM

I may try some in my pasture also along with crimson clover & rye to see how my cows will eat it.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:52 PM

Interesting. I'm curious to see how ours do. Planting some Alabama Blend and some Deer Magnet

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 08:56 PM

I hope y'all have good luck with them.
Posted By: trox28

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:04 PM

I planted them for bout 3 years around the bottom edge of one if my bow hunting stands.The deer never dug the actual radish up but would mow the green down once they got so big.I would pick a few and eat em in the stand
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:25 PM

Do they taste like a regular radish?
Posted By: trox28

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:40 PM

Yea
Posted By: BamaPlowboy

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:41 PM

I don't know about deer but the Mexicans at work eat the hell out of them. They call them grande white carrots.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:44 PM

I see them at publix for $2/lb. I ought to pull them up and take them to a hippi farmers market once season is over
Posted By: cartervj

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 09:51 PM

Some of them are pretty hot, see them used in some gourmet dishes.

I never had deer dig them up but did eat the tops. I like winter peas in the mix, can never get those things to grow to any size cause the deer mow them down. The daikons are great for tilling the soil down deep. I had some that reached 2 plus ft in size and as thick as a baseball bat.

They seem to like Rape a lot and is cheap filler. It also goes great in salads.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Diakon radish - 09/22/14 10:29 PM

Dont think the deer ever touched the greens on the ones we planted last year.. the hogs rooted up some of them. Not sure if they did it to eat them or just while looking for something else.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Diakon radish - 09/23/14 06:13 AM

I've been planting them for about 3-4 years. Deer love the tops, and will eat the tubers too. They are great for breaking up hardpan. In the spring, when they rot, they'll feed your soil. No frost needed for the deer to eat them, like PTT. The tops grow more up, than out, therefore making for a better companion crop, than rape. Rape spreads outward and when planted too thick, can shade out other plantings.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Diakon radish - 09/23/14 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
I've been planting them for about 3-4 years. Deer love the tops, and will eat the tubers too. They are great for breaking up hardpan. In the spring, when they rot, they'll feed your soil. No frost needed for the deer to eat them, like PTT. The tops grow more up, than out, therefore making for a better companion crop, than rape. Rape spreads outward and when planted too thick, can shade out other plantings.

Well said. Very good plant to have in your plots.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Diakon radish - 09/23/14 10:21 AM

I bought a lot of daikon radish this time but I've never planted them. Should I broadcast with my grains and cover or broadcast on top with my brassicas and clover?
Posted By: muzziehead

Re: Diakon radish - 09/23/14 11:30 AM

Add you some Sugar Beets to the mix of radishes, deer love them sugar beets after the first good freeze.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/24/14 06:12 AM

Originally Posted By: tfd1224
I bought a lot of daikon radish this time but I've never planted them. Should I broadcast with my grains and cover or broadcast on top with my brassicas and clover?

Radish is a brassica, although the seed is larger than rape or PTT. I would spread with my other brassica seed.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Diakon radish - 09/24/14 06:25 PM

The company I ordered from recommended cover 1/2 dirt. I'mm planting 10 lb in morning.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: Diakon radish - 09/24/14 08:26 PM

If you want them for soil improvement there are a couple of varieties that are SUPPOSED to be more suited for that than the Diakon. I am planting 100 lbs of Groundhog radishes in a couple of our hay fields this year to see how much benefit we get out of them. The trials that have been run on the different "tillage" radishes are pretty impressive. If they are as good as they are touted to be, they will be a cheap investment.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/25/14 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
If you want them for soil improvement there are a couple of varieties that are SUPPOSED to be more suited for that than the Diakon. I am planting 100 lbs of Groundhog radishes in a couple of our hay fields this year to see how much benefit we get out of them. The trials that have been run on the different "tillage" radishes are pretty impressive. If they are as good as they are touted to be, they will be a cheap investment.

post up after you find out, I've read on them for a few years and have yet to try them

Re: Diakon radish - 09/26/14 05:58 AM

I really don't think there is much difference between the different ones. Buy whichever is cheapest.

Re: Diakon radish - 09/26/14 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
I really don't think there is much difference between the different ones. Buy whichever is cheapest.

just bought some name Diakon tillage

I just did a google on them, diakon covers a lot of different varieties apparently.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM