Aldeer.com

What scent killer do you use?

Posted By: TR62

What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 08:09 PM

I've been using Dead Down Wind for a couple years now and with pretty good results. I know some people make their own and I'm curious as to what the mixtures are. I'm not a big fan of deer pee or any of those scents, but I would like to hear what y'all use to cover your natural scent.
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 08:41 PM

I use those scent wafers that come in the re-sealable brown case, like fresh earth scent or pine. Used dead down wind , hunter's specialty, that stuff too. honestly sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I try not to touch anything walking in and out (other than my rubber boots on the ground of course). If i can walk in a shallow creek or ditch that's really the perfect set-up with the right wind too. Killed a doe last year at 9 steps hunting off the ground (just sitting at the base of a tree) and i'm convinced it was because I took the longer route walking in a creek versus a straight shot to my spot by walking through the brush (funny enough she came right where i would have walked in had i walked through the leaves). My best success has come from modifying entry and exit routes with wind and deer movement rather than what's the best cover scent. Look up bill winke's articles and videos on scent and routes to your stand. He hunts the midwest but I've started using his ideas here in bama and noticed a huge decrease in the number of deer that i spook or that bust me. Makes it harder to find good spots but when everything comes together it's awesome.
Posted By: skintback

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 08:55 PM

I use dead down wind. I know people have their opinions but this is one example I can share. As a firefighter, after a structure fire my body and hair would smell like the smoke from the fire. After showering, my hair would still have the smoke smell. I used some of my DDW shampoo and the smoke smell is gone. Now I keep a bottle in the shower all the time for that reason. It may not mask my scent 100% but the DDW products made a believer out of me about their bath products for sure.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 09:12 PM

Camp fire smoke
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 09:13 PM

Water and baking soda in a spray bottle....
Posted By: BD

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 09:20 PM

Carbon Synergy
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 09:24 PM

I use hunter specialties soap and ddw detergent. I also take a coffee can and put some leaves, pine thistles and acorn/dirt in it and microwave it for ab 30-45 seconds and place it in a ziploc bag half opened. I then get a drum liner and put my clothes directly from the dryer into the liner. Place ziploc in liner and squeeze all air out of bag. Tie knot in opening and place it in a carry container. I change into clothes in the woods and pack my shell in. Put shell on over harness I tree.

Crazy right? Pair that with thermals and wind direction and I typically don't have problems. I probably negate all that work by spitting grizzly from the tree . lol
Posted By: UARandy3

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 09:36 PM

I typically use DDW detergent on my clothes. Use Hunter's Specialties Scent-A-Way shampoo/soap and a scent free deodorant. I'll typically spray my stuff down and boots with DDW spray once heading to the woods. Of course, then play the wind as best I can.
I know it is impossible to "eliminate" our scent to beat a deer's nose, but I do try my best to reduce my scent when I can. Any little bit helps I think.
Posted By: Cutover

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 10:07 PM

Dead Down Wind is my personal favorite but HS earth spray is a close 2cnd.
Posted By: James

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/16/14 10:27 PM

Love pine scents..I don't buy the fancy brand named soap or deodorant I just buy anything un-scented from the store..
Posted By: paintrock

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 04:37 AM

Roll around on the ground like an ol' dog for a second then take off.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 04:56 AM

I keep all my hunting clothes sealed up in one of these all year:

Its air tight and I put 6" of cedar chips in the bottom of it with several of the earth scent wafers. hadn't heard about the DDW scent cover, will add that also.

thanks
Posted By: jnall

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:35 AM

Poots
Posted By: 007

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:50 AM

I use DDW. It was the only scent killer that made my son's soccer shinguards stop stinking. If it works on those that is good enough for me.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:53 AM

Originally Posted By: jnall
Poots

I see you use dead down wind too, lol wink
Posted By: Shaw

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:29 AM

I use Dead Down Wind on my boots only and try to play the wind.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:31 AM

I use the original Scent Killer and hardwood smoke.
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:32 AM

DDW
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:34 AM

Just the wind, if it isn't right I go some place else.
Posted By: AUstan23

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:38 AM

This ^^^^^
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:07 AM

Whatever straight, unscented killer I find on sale. I have used the earth flavor, stuff smells just like fresh dirt to me. May smell like crap to a deer though.
Posted By: Turkeymaster

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:23 AM

I stopped using it. I just wash my clothes in a perfumeless detergent like Arm and Hammer and keep them stored in a container. I feel like everytime I spray down with something I get blown at... I stopped using it mid way through the season and I ended up killing two bucks
Posted By: Talltines

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:34 AM

Kick some local dirt on my boots maybe play in a mud puddle for a few seconds and play the wind to my favor. Also have to pee from stand.
Posted By: jmack66

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:39 AM

I don't use a scent killer, but I do use a cover scent. I make a couple of different kinds I use the entire season. Don't use any of that store bought stuff......
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:53 AM

Wash my hunting clothes in baking and spray down with a solution of baking soda and water from head to toe before I get dressed. 10lb of baking soda last me the season.

Posted By: MarkBAMA

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 10:00 AM

DDW or Fresh Earth
Posted By: JB71

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 10:26 AM

I use DDW and fill an old sock with baking soda and place it in a zip lock bag. I dust everything with the baking soda when I leave my truck and then at the base of my tree.
Posted By: Dkhargroves

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 11:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Whatever straight, unscented killer I find on sale. I have used the earth flavor, stuff smells just like fresh dirt to me. May smell like crap to a deer though.

What does earth taste like since you use the "flavored" kind?

sorry bud had to.... smile
Posted By: scrape

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 01:09 PM

dead down wind uses enzymes, I tested it against some others using cigar buts and it does much better. I also bought a commercial ozone machine of ebay for 80 bucks, because my suv smells like catfish. Ozone is poisenous so I wouldn't recommend hunting with it like some do. but i will be testing it good this year to treat my suv with hunting equipment in it. maybe ill post my results on this machine a month into hunting season.

a while back I ordered a small ozone generater off ebay for 3 bucks shipped from china, It plugs into the lighter and puts out 3mmg per hr. leaving it plugged in all the time seems to have killed the moldy catfish smell. that and the dog sniff test ive read about got me to buy the 3500 mmg unit. if it works good i might look at making a battery powered unit for around 50 bucks, seeing that hunting ozonics usually cost 400. and who knows what ther'e putting out per hr.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 01:10 PM

DDW, but I wash all my hunting clothes in All Free & Clear detergent. Biggest advantage though is to hunt the wind.
Posted By: James

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 01:19 PM

Had a great uncle who used turpentine to spray on his boots an such..
Posted By: LegalWeagle

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 02:02 PM

I use All Free and Clear laundry detergent pouches, a scent free dryer sheet, and i'll use an odor killing spray (DDW, etc..). If i'm at a camp for an extended stay, i'll take a trash bag, along with the plastic tub I keep all my camp in, and get some leaves/pine needles local to the area and throw them in there with my camp when i'm not using it. I also play the wind, that's the most vital part.
Posted By: TR62

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 02:33 PM

Much like some of you have already said, I have mixed the pure baking soda and water. But, I add a little vanilla extract to mine.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 02:44 PM

I usually start by spilling biscuit crumbs and coffee on my overhauls, once I get in the stand I usually have to pee, then I get a dip of Copenhagen and settle in.
Y'all city folks put too much stock in that stuff that comes from a store.
Posted By: Reaper

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 03:46 PM

I usually smoke my clothes on the way to the woods with Marlboros.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 03:47 PM

the big spray bottle of acorn attactant spray that is scientifically proven to relax deer. Has now caused two deer to blow. I quit using after the first one ,but had it in the truck and another guy used it. Cant keep pine scent, because the wife sprays the christmas tree and all through the house. The baking soda is probably the best and cheapest. But it makes your camo dull and white looking. So I just use ddw which works pretty good and suposedly blocks the deer from seeing the uv rays that reflect off of your clothes.
Posted By: muddyfeet

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 04:01 PM

Unscented washing powder and B.A. pine scent.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:21 PM

don't think a deer can't smell you through all that commercialized stuff. A lot of that stuff is just baking soda and water or some other low cost stuff selling for a high price.
Best to do is wash your cloths in non smelling detergent and wash yourself in just water and not soap that smells. Everything you put on you including shaving cream they can smell and you can't mask it. This is from someone that has been hunting deer for 50 years and believe me I have wasted many dollars and found that I don't see any more deer with or with out masking scents.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:27 PM

I use DDW sometimes. But I keep my bowhunting clothes in a container with fresh cut cedar chunks I cut from an old fence line. Also wash them in plain water and sometimes the scent killer detergent if its on sale.
Posted By: semperfi10463

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:49 PM

boil oak leaves/pine needles let cool pore in a spray bottle.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 06:54 PM

I usually break off a small pine branch and pick all the needles of and rub them all over me . I seem to have a bit of success doing so. But it will make your hands a little sticky from the resin
Posted By: Bucky205

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 07:41 PM

I discovered All Free a couple years ago and wash my clothes in it, and I shower with it. It's very inexpensive. I store my hunting clothes in garbage bags after they are washed with some green pine needles, I'll rub pine needles on me again when I head into the woods. Arm and Hammer unscented deodorant works for me. I never wear my hunting boots unless I'm hunting. I put them on when I get out of the truck, and put them back in a box in the back when I come out. My stands have been scrubbed down and are hanging on trees in a nice shady spot. I have a scent lock suit that I use to wear, but really didn't notice a difference in the number of deer I was seeing.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 07:49 PM

I really think if some of those companies sold pint jars of hog pen wallow there would be some people that would buy it for a scent cover.
Posted By: dirkdaddy

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
I usually start by spilling biscuit crumbs and coffee on my overhauls, once I get in the stand I usually have to pee, then I get a dip of Copenhagen and settle in.
thumbup
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:28 PM

Dead Down Wind
Posted By: doekiller

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:34 PM

Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002
Wash my hunting clothes in baking and spray down with a solution of baking soda and water from head to toe before I get dressed. 10lb of baking soda last me the season.

Man, you got me craving one of there sandwiches. Dang, those things were good.

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:49 PM

Whether or not I spill biscuit crumbs on me is not mandatory, but a dip of Copenhagen and a pee from the tree stand is.

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:55 PM

I didn't know how nice I looked bald headed until about 4 years ago. Before then I had a nice head of jet black hair....

Back in the mid 90's I came up with my own concoction of scent killer. I wanted something to kill germs and something to kill smell. I mixed a pint of hydrogen peroxide (germicide) with a small box of baking soda (smell killer) and a pint of water and put it in a spritzer bottle.

I decided to hunt that Saturday afternoon and took a shower then sprayed down head to toe with my newly created concoction. I went hunting that afternoon and don't remember anything about the hunt. What I do remember, was waking up Sunday morning and looking in the mirror. I was a "dirty blonde" from head to toe. LOL
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: FurFlyin
What I do remember, was waking up Sunday morning and looking in the mirror. I was a "dirty blonde" from head to toe. LOL

lol

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: dirkdaddy
thumbup

I spit some grizzly on a yearling last season, she didn't know what hit her and kept browsing.
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/17/14 10:57 PM

Originally Posted By: doekiller
Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Man, you got me craving one of there sandwiches. Dang, those things were good.
They are good sandwiches, the size of one sandwich is like breakfast, lunch and supper for me laugh
Posted By: Bigbamaboy

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 12:26 AM

I only use Fresh Earth spray and scent waffers. I think it helps some, maybe confusing a deers nose some, but nothin will completely hide you from a deer except a good wind.

I mostly use this stuff just b/c i love the way it smells. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but ever so often i go in the man room and open up a bottle and get a good smell. It smells like deer season.

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 06:31 AM

the biggest rip off on the market is doe pee. It smells like rotten pee and probably not from a doe. Put a little of this on and deer will come running. BS the woods are full of doe pee why would they come running to your little rotten doe pee. They sell all kinds of stupid stuff and all kinds of stupid people buy it.
Masking scents are one of the stupid things that don't work. As someone else said just stay down wind, any good hunter will tell you this.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 07:02 AM

I do not use any kind of scent "killer", persay. I'm with many of other guys on here, in that I hunt the wind, so I don't think the deer are smelling me anyway unless it's unintended (and even then I doubt it matters if you had sprayed with something).
I try to limit odor as much as possible (within reason)...I do not own Scent Blocker stuff or anything, just wash with "free n clear" detergent and dry with "earth scent" dryer sheets (although I'm using the same dryer we do all our normal clothes in, that are covered in flowery fabric softener! LOL)
The one thing I do that I think helps (even if it's just in my own head) is I religiously store ALL my clothes and stuff in a big plastic tub full of those HS Scent earth-scent wafers. I may occasionally buy a cheap bottle of scent killer spray and spray my rubber boots before I walk in, but I frankly don't know if that does a darn thing. Since they say deer smell on a molecular level, I even wonder sometimes if that liquid spray has a molecular odor??
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 07:43 AM

Dead down wind
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 11:05 AM

the thing with just hunting the wind is. On several occasions I have had deer to come from the back of the stand. So minimizing that helps. Even though you cant mask or kill all human scent, reducing the scent may make the deer think you are farther away. Deer arn't necesarly going to run when they smell something foreign, because they are around human scent all the time. I lit a cig one time and a 6 point acually came from the woods were the smoke was blowing, walked under the stand,paused and looked at the stand, and then continued on his way.
Posted By: fromthedepths

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 07:00 PM

Pine tree

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/18/14 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: deerman24
the biggest rip off on the market is doe pee. It smells like rotten pee and probably not from a doe. Put a little of this on and deer will come running. BS the woods are full of doe pee why would they come running to your little rotten doe pee. They sell all kinds of stupid stuff and all kinds of stupid people buy it.
Masking scents are one of the stupid things that don't work. As someone else said just stay down wind, any good hunter will tell you this.

I don't buy into much of that crap either bt if you think being downwind is all you need, you've def. never hunted on mountainous terrain. Being down wind doesn't mean chit when it's changing direction and swirling every second.

Re: What scent killer do you use? - 09/19/14 07:40 AM

I do hunt in hilly areas and you are right the wind does swirl a lot and down wind sometimes is not possible. my point is that deer will smell you no matter what kind of masking scent you use. Some of the masking scents actually keeps them away. As proven by many studies deer will sense any change in their area and move away from it. If you don't have apples in your area and you use apple masking scent they will notice the change in smell and it may just cause them to stay away. Human scent to a deer is very hard to mask. They see humans as a threat to them and constantly seek that smell. Did you ever see a deer on a food plot walk to it and stick their nose in the air and smell. They are trying to pick up human scent.
They as proven my many studies they can separate human scent from all other scents.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM