Aldeer.com

Moon Phase

Posted By: GomerPyle

Moon Phase - 09/15/14 02:54 PM

do you pay attention to it and if so, how does it alter your hunting strategy?
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 02:57 PM

I do pay attention to it. Obviously, I prefer when it's not a full moon but this does not stop me from going hunting.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 04:14 PM

I think moon times are more important than the phases.
Posted By: Delta Dave

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

Not sure if this is a joke missing the grin or you're serious.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Delta Dave

Not sure if this is a joke missing the grin or you're serious.

Serious as a heart attack.
Posted By: tikkatony

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 04:28 PM

Personally I dont like full moons, if I have to hunt them the middle of the day seems better.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: tikkatony
Personally I dont like full moons, if I have to hunt them the middle of the day seems better.

A lot of folks will tell you to hunt a full moon at mid day and a new moon early and late in the day.
Posted By: Zzzfog

Re: Moon Phase - 09/15/14 06:53 PM

Oh no don't even bother hunting a full moon! Fishing neither! wink
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 06:24 AM

There was a study done by QDMA, about a year ago, can't remember all the details. Might be able to find it on their website. They did find different movement patterns. I have no scientific data whatsoever, but i like to be on a foodplot 3 days before a full moon. Always had good luck. Seems i see more deer when the moon is over head.
Posted By: JUGHEAD

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 09:31 AM

Serious as a heart attack.
And I agree with him 100%. I stay at the house (obviously go all that your life priorities will allow you) at daylight for instance because it's a full moon or anything like that....but I do everything in my power to be in the woods when the moon is directly over head or under foot. All other things being equal (obviously weather and season timing are the most important factors)....you will see more deer up and moving around during these times.
Posted By: WhiteCityHunter

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 09:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Zzzfog
Oh no don't even bother hunting a full moon! Fishing neither! wink

Yep, I've found that the week leading up to the full moon is best for saltwater fishing. A full or new usually doesn't produce good results. Ive also found that moon rise/set times are more important than phase for deer hunting. When the moon is directly overhead or under foot, hunting is better in my experiences.
Posted By: Broken Arrow

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 09:59 AM

I agree with N2TRKYS , Moon times , overhead or under foot .
no matter the phase
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 10:23 AM

i've heard folks say that a full moon that is directly overhead at 2 a.m. is highly desired, dont know why though
Posted By: Talltines

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 10:59 AM

If the moon is coming up say 2pm or 3pm or 4pm I am going to be in the woods at least 2 hours before it comes up. Have killed my biggest bucks and seen my biggest bucks with that moon just peaking over the ridge in the afternoon.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 11:30 AM

Bout the time I think there is something to the whole moon phase thing, I find exceptions. I'll put my $ on hunting the rut and just before a really strong front. When it's been warm for a while and then a front comes through and the sleet and snow just begin to fall, somethings gonna die.
Posted By: jmack66

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 11:34 AM

I love hunting when the moon is bright and don't set until after daylight. I think daylight sneaks up on the deer and catches them away from their bedding Ares. I have killed many a buck in my life hunting when its this way.
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 01:10 PM

I pay it no attention. Reason being I'm gonna hunt every minute I can regardless. May be something to it, don't know, I just hunt when I can.
Posted By: LoCo

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 02:57 PM

As if I can plan my hunting schedule around such Lunacy...
Posted By: Clem

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 03:01 PM

Just go hunt and don't overthink it.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: LoCo
As if I can plan my hunting schedule around such Lunacy...

i see what ya did there laugh
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 04:06 PM

Where is the best chart for figuring when the moon is overhead or underfoot?
Originally Posted By: Talltines
If the moon is coming up say 2pm or 3pm or 4pm I am going to be in the woods at least 2 hours before it comes up. Have killed my biggest bucks and seen my biggest bucks with that moon just peaking over the ridge in the afternoon.
Posted By: Talltines

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: fireman176
Where is the best chart for figuring when the moon is overhead or underfoot?
Originally Posted By: Talltines

Look up at the sky smile It changes about every 30-40 minutes per day. And have spent many a days figuring this one out.
Posted By: Jpipererp

Re: Moon Phase - 09/16/14 05:10 PM

Only alters how long I am in my stand. Full moon has me there at same time. I may sit all day if it's a full moon.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM