Aldeer.com

acorn question

Posted By: coon_killer

acorn question - 09/01/14 10:51 AM

I bought a live oak tree from wal mart a few years ago, and noticed it is loaded with acorns. I was told the deer wouldn't touch them. Is it any thing to that ?
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: acorn question - 09/01/14 11:19 AM

Never heard that.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: acorn question - 09/01/14 01:11 PM

Are you talking about deer won't eat acorns because they're from a tree bought at Walmart or because the acorns are off a Live Oak? I'm assuming the latter. I think deer eat Live oak acorns like they do others.
Posted By: coon_killer

Re: acorn question - 09/01/14 02:02 PM

I was told they had to much acid in them.
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: acorn question - 09/01/14 05:32 PM

They will eat them, but are lower on the preferred list because of the higher acid content.
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 06:35 AM

How different is a Live Oak from a Water Oak? They look nearly very similar, and the acorns themselves are identical.
Posted By: 699

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 09:07 AM

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
How different is a Live Oak from a Water Oak? They look nearly very similar, and the acorns themselves are identical.

What he said^^^^^^
Posted By: Huntinman

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 09:22 AM

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/dendrology/dendrology/angiosperms.html

Here is a list of every tree in alabama along with pictures, fruiting body types, and detailed descriptions.
Posted By: Huntinman

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 09:26 AM

^ The first link I posted was that of the Angiosperms.

Here is a link to the Gymnosperms:

http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry_wildlife/dendrology/dendrology/gymnosperms.html
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 10:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Huntinman

Here is a list of every tree in alabama along with pictures, fruiting body types, and detailed descriptions.

Great resource. Thanks, Huntinman!

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 02:12 PM

A Live Oak is an evergreen with smaller acorns than Water Oaks. Water Oaks are deciduous.
Posted By: skintback

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 02:15 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS

A Live Oak is an evergreen with smaller acorns than Water Oaks. Water Oaks are deciduous.

How do you know? You act like you have a degree in forestry or something! grin
Posted By: truedouble

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 03:20 PM

they will eat them during bow season before white oaks start to drop

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: skintback

How do you know? You act like you have a degree in forestry or something! grin

thumbup
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 03:34 PM

Water Oaks are deciduous.

Does that mean it's a boy tree or girl tree confused

grin

Re: acorn question - 09/02/14 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter

Water Oaks are deciduous.

Does that mean it's a boy tree or girl tree confused

grin

Haha grin
Posted By: Baybuzzard

Re: acorn question - 09/06/14 07:35 PM

Way off base on that one
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: acorn question - 09/06/14 11:03 PM

Being originally from Selma, and now live in Baldwin County, I have pondered over the same question and have been told the same thing. If you are in an area where oak trees are scarce, deer will tear them acorns up no matter what they are. Now say you have a bunch of white oaks or even water oaks around then them live oaks may drop and nothing will touch em. Another thing about any acorn producing oak tree, the older they are the more deer seem to favor em from what I have noticed. I'm not sure if it is because they just naturally taste better or because deer have spent generations eating acorns from that tree.
Posted By: Bowfool

Re: acorn question - 09/07/14 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 40Bucks
Are you talking about deer won't eat acorns because they're from a tree bought at Walmart
I bet Mexican deer love them! grin
© 2024 ALDEER.COM