Aldeer.com

Another question on planting

Posted By: 40Bucks

Another question on planting - 08/26/14 09:22 AM

What would be the LATEST you would plant a greenfield this Fall?
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 09:28 AM

Early October....
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 09:31 AM

Early to mid October

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 09:42 AM

Typically we palnt the second weekend in Oct and we get very little rainfall. With it being so dry I was wondering if waiting would increase the chances of rain on the seed.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 10:28 AM

If you are in south Obama you could probably plant the 1st week in November and be fine. I like to plant the weekend before bow season.
Posted By: coachg34

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 10:51 AM

In Jackson County I plant the plots that are going to get used heavy in early Sept. Those used lightly, late Sept or even early Oct. Try to plant in front of forecasted rain.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 10:58 AM

Depends on weather. You could plant one under the right conditions in November and have a field to hunt in January/Feb
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 11:15 AM

Too many variables, to give you a good answer. Where in Alabama are you located? What are you going to plant? What type soil do you have? Sandy? Clay? Ideally you should plant 30 days before your first frost date. As temps drop, and hours of sunshine fade, growth slows down in most plants. The only planting i would use in November would be cereal rye. When the temps are above 36 degrees, cereal rye can grow. Forget about wheat and oats. Brassica's need to be planted earlier than cereal grains to get good bulb growth. October is tough, as i've said before, driest month of the year.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 11:18 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
Too many variables, to give you a good answer. Where in Alabama are you located? What are you going to plant? What type soil do you have? Sandy? Clay? Ideally you should plant 30 days before your first frost date. As temps drop, and hours of sunshine fade, growth slows down in most plants. The only planting i would use in November would be cereal rye. When the temps are above 36 degrees, cereal rye can grow. Forget about wheat and oats. Brassica's need to be planted earlier than cereal grains to get good bulb growth. October is tough, as i've said before, driest month of the year.

This^^^^. The biggie for me would be if you are in NA, LA or central Bama and what you are planting.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 11:59 AM

I need some advice from you guys. It's been a good while since I have the responsibility of planting our food plots in Bama. I have two weekends available to plant.

Sep. 12-15 and Oct. 10-13.

Our lease is located just East of Selma in Dallas Cty.

I plan to plant WMS Deer Magnet. From speaking with the guys at WMS they don't recommend planting their Triticale early as it's establishes fast. However I'm not sure if 2nd weekd in Sep would be early. So what weekend would yawl plant?

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 12:13 PM

We're located in West Central AL. Soil is loamy/sandy. We're going to go with Rye, Wheat, Oats, Clover and throw in some turnips, too.

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Squeaky
I need some advice from you guys. It's been a good while since I have the responsibility of planting our food plots in Bama. I have two weekends available to plant.

I plan to plant WMS Deer Magnet. From speaking with the guys at WMS they don't recommend planting their Triticale early as it's establishes fast. However I'm not sure if 2nd weekd in Sep would be early. So what weekend would yawl plant?

Where your lease is, i would wait until October, unless you were going to bowhunt the plots, if so, plant it in Sept.

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 40Bucks

We're located in West Central AL. Soil is loamy/sandy. We're going to go with Rye, Wheat, Oats, Clover and throw in some turnips, too.

Figure out your typical frost date and backcount 30 days. You would probably be fine as long as you can get it in by mid October. Again, i plant when a rain is forecasted, not on a certain day.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 01:01 PM

We plant Deer Magnet the second week of Sept. We put up string and pie plates to keep the deer out, until a few days before bow season. It works well for us at that time. If you got any questions, call me.
Posted By: Squeaky

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 02:10 PM

Where your lease is, i would wait until October, unless you were going to bowhunt the plots, if so, plant it in Sept.

Our bow season does not open until Oct 25th. I also don't hunt our little pine goats until late Dec or Jan. I'll be in the Midwest on my time off chasing bigger fish. There are very few memebers that bow hunt any amount of time. They will go a few times before gun season opens but it's not a every weekend thing for them.

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 02:20 PM

Looks like Mid Oct is the latest estimate to plant based on the typical first frost date of Nov. 9/10
We'll probably just keep our usual schedule and see if this year works any better. Thanks for the info guys!
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Another question on planting - 08/26/14 05:21 PM

mid Nov.
Posted By: Thisldu

Re: Another question on planting - 08/27/14 08:58 AM

Our bow season does not open until Oct 25th. I also don't hunt our little pine goats until late Dec or Jan. I'll be in the Midwest on my time off chasing bigger fish. There are very few memebers that bow hunt any amount of time. They will go a few times before gun season opens but it's not a every weekend thing for them.

My land is west of you in Dallas County. Plant in October, especially with the new extended season now.

I plant around the first of October or so depending on when I see rain in the forecast.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Another question on planting - 08/27/14 02:12 PM

I've planted as late as mid November in west AL. Not preferred timing, but it worked.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: Another question on planting - 08/27/14 07:13 PM

early October and try to time it just before a rain.
Posted By: bigt

Re: Another question on planting - 08/27/14 08:29 PM

Mid October.....
Posted By: jmack66

Re: Another question on planting - 08/28/14 10:17 AM

We plant anytime in October and have had good results.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM