Aldeer.com

My first deer season, what camo should I get?

Posted By: M4J0RT0M

My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 02:31 PM

Okay guys this is my first full season deer hunting. Trying to decide on what type of camo to buy but I'm having a hard time. I'm originally from the Midwest so I consider the late season pretty mild around here. I'm looking for some camo that I can wear early-season bow hunting through late-season gun hunting. My club is down around Dadeville, and we have a lot of hardwoods and some fresh-cut over.

Give me some recommendations on brands and patterns. Thanks.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 02:40 PM

Late season mild around here? did i read that rite? Late season is the best in alot of portions of this state my friend. Camo doesnt really matter, your over thinking it. It can get hot around here in early bow, Get something fairly light, that you can still throw a camo jacket on if it gets colder, It can get pretty dang cold to, sometimes i find myself wearing umpteen layers of clothes and jackets in december and january, None of my camo matches at all. As long as the deer dont wind you and you got descent cover, you can wear a blaze orange suite, people hunt in orange all the time grin

Back to the original question, My answer is, Just buy some camo brother, you dont have to go all out to kill deer, Just got to know how to hunt
Posted By: NickC

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 02:49 PM

Most of mine came from Walmart lol
Posted By: JA

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:01 PM

That's easy. Just buy whatever's on sale...
Posted By: Fireman12

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:02 PM

I believe the "mild" he was referring to was the temperature.........not the action.
Posted By: 699

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:07 PM

I remember more than a couple of mornings last season that were in the low to mid teens and with the humidity that is pretty dang cool if you ask me. Buy what is on sale and wear layers you can always take it off.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:11 PM

Use the stuff you already own and get you a scent-lok suit to put over it. Camo pattern doesn't matter. Just sit still and sit downwind
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:21 PM

If late season temps are mild for you then early season you will need one of TC's camo thongs.
Posted By: deerhunter_1

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: JA

This is what I do.
Posted By: skintback

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:40 PM

early season usually pants and tee shirt (leafy suit), maybe a light jacket, in something with green leaves, mid season a little heavier clothing with green, brown and grey. Late season pretty much grey and brown with access to jacket/bibs, or coveralls, or fleece.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:46 PM

Get ya one of those leafy / ghillie suit things and wear whatever ya want under it.
Posted By: Rocket62

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: M4J0RT0M
I consider the late season pretty mild around here

I remember 3 or 4 hunts last season that were all but mild. In fact one at I_Hate_Poacher's property when it was 20 deg with a 20 MPH wind and I was 20 feet up a tree.

Maybe that's mild to you but if it isn't you may wanna consider some insulated camo
Posted By: top cat

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 03:51 PM

Everybody knows only the hunters with the most expensive guns and stuff kill big bucks. crazy Naw just what works best for you. Dont skimp on footwear, cold feet are no fun. .02
Posted By: velvet tines

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 04:52 PM

doesn't matter what you wear. it's movement and scent the deer detect. i've killed more deer in a red sweatshirt than in camo. last season i wore chartreuse green just to see if the deer spooked. they did not.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 05:49 PM

Watched some one from buck commander kill a nice buck in a Santa suit.
Posted By: OcToBeRDrEaMiN67

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 06:05 PM

Buy whatever is on sale and one size bigger than you normally wear.

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 06:35 PM

X2 on the good foot wear, must have! Ploy-pro liner socks and outer socks with high percentage of wool. Get several pairs of wool army gloves from the army surplus store. Several pairs cause they're cheap and you'll loose them, least I do laugh. Then get a muff, when it's cold use the gloves and muff with some hot hand packs inside. Oh' cut the trigger finger out of the glove. wink

As far as other clothing, you want a good base layer of ploy-pro or something similar. And a good outer layer that is wind proof. What you wear between them really doesn't matter, what's next to your skin and the outer most layer is what gets it done.
Posted By: BPS

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: JA

Hijack here! If we all, including myself and most guys I know, only buy camo that is onsale and cheap (cheaper), who in their right mind pays the $200-$400 prices for a jacket or a pair of bibbs to justify stores asking that? If I had money coming out of my ears I dont think I could pay those prices.

To the original question, been some good answers so far. Buy something that is comfortable and dont worry about the camo pattern. Hunt smart and kill deer. Good luck!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 07:25 PM

Id get a t shirt, pair of camo pants, a camo two pocket button shirt and a cold weather lined jacket.

In bow season I wear a camo long sleeve t shirt and camo pants, hat, face mask and gloves.

If it gets colder, I add a button shirt over it I carry in my pack.

In the colder months I wear a camo jacket too.
I layer up under it each day according to the tempature.
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 07:35 PM

Just buy a few sportsman condos and then wear whatever you want. That's what I do
Posted By: Ridgehunter36

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 08:16 PM

Under Armour, expensive but well worth it, all of their collections are great from early to late season.
Posted By: March15

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 09:04 PM

Blue jeans and any long sleeve shirt you can find. Deer see movement.
Posted By: LoCo

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 09:54 PM

Don't let your feet get wet. Over.
Posted By: MTeague

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: LoCo
Don't let your feet get wet. Over.
x2
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/29/14 10:43 PM

I wear carhartt brown bibbs and if it gets in the teens polypropylene base layer. I don't know if I even own a camo jacket or pants
Posted By: Surefire1911

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 05:58 AM

I prefer wearing camo and I match head to toe. I have multiple patterns and thickness for the changing season. I personally think it's silly to go out in blue jeans and a tee shirt unless your on a dog drive or something . Why try to stand out when you can be hidden? I'm a big fan of mossy oak bottomland since I'm on tree most of my hunts . Realtree hardwoods is nice as well.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 07:36 AM

I'm with Surefire1911. IMO, Mossy Oak Bottomland is a great pattern weather you're in a swamp or a pine thicket.
Posted By: walt4dun

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 08:21 AM

What camo should you get? Well first...What Can Deer See?
http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/big-buck-zone/2014/07/video-new-study-sheds-light-what-deer-see

Take aways:
Dont wear blue or white.

Deer see yellow and greens. But are not able to distinguish the shades of the yellows or greens as well as we do. So most camo is going to look like a blob to them unless it is really an open pattern. Ex. predator camo or woodland BDU.

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 08:55 AM

Don't know if it's been suggested, but you can go to Cabelas's web site and look at the "bargain cave." Usually some good deals this time of year on winter clothing.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 09:11 AM

You will definately need early season and late season clothes. I have been sweating profusely on some bowhunts, wearing a "T" shirt. It can get into the single digits here, it did this past year. Also, if you live here now, you will get acclimated to our weather thru time, and 25 degrees will be cold to you. The quality of the clothing matters more than the color. I have some clothes that i've been wearing for over 15 years, that i bought from cabela's. When it comes to deer hunting, camo is not as important, as turkey hunting. Even the old trebark had enough vertical, and horizontal lines on it to help break-up your outline.
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 09:14 AM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Don't know if it's been suggested, but you can go to Cabelas's web site and look at the "bargain cave." Usually some good deals this time of year on winter clothing.

^^this^^
Posted By: foldemup

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 09:39 AM

How many deer do you wanna kill? ASAT 3d leafy suit, throw it over whatever you want to wear anytime of the year. I suggest a good wool wicking later by first lite or similar, a windproof layer, and a water proof layer.

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: foldemup
How many deer do you wanna kill? ASAT 3d leafy suit, throw it over whatever you want to wear anytime of the year. I suggest a good wool wicking later by first lite or similar, a windproof layer, and a water proof layer.

Here ya go ^^^^^, leafy suit, then wear whatever you want under it, a hunter orange snowmobile suit in cold weather, something lighter in early season. Wear your orange to and from the stand then put on the leafy top on over it when you get there.
Posted By: Luvbowhuntn

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 04:26 PM

Don't worry about it and just be still. Been just as many deer killed by hunters wearing plaid flannel shirts and brown coats as the latest and greatest camo patterns. I swear I thought duck hunters were bad about buying into camo company hype,but I have realized deer hunters are even worse. Dress warm,comfy,hunt the wind,and BE STILL
Posted By: JTapia

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 06:37 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
Get ya one of those leafy / ghillie suit things and wear whatever ya want under it.

This right here^^^^^

just be careful when sitting in a shooting house with the propane Mr. Heater going. those leafy things are flammable! grin
Posted By: quailman

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 06:41 PM

I hunt in jeans and t-shirt. Unless it's cold, then throw on my old coveralls.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/30/14 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: quailman
I hunt in jeans, dirty under panties and t-shirt. Unless it's cold, then throw on my old coveralls.

fify
Posted By: Marlin_444

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 08:33 AM

I have a couple leafy bug suits that are a size bigger than I need; great for early Bow and can cover up when you layer in the harder winter weather.

Ron
Posted By: TChunter

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 08:38 AM

Get good boots and whatever for the rest of it. Light early and have a good heavy jacket and possible bibs for late season but pattern doesnt really matter. I know a couple guys that could kill a big buck in the middle of I65 and they wear whatever work clothes/jacket thats close by.
Posted By: TChunter

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 08:39 AM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
I hunt in jeans, dirty under panties and t-shirt. Unless it's cold, then throw on my old coveralls.

fify

Get out of my head
Posted By: quailhnter

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 09:27 AM

Mossy oak everything! Period
Posted By: quailman

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 10:47 AM

Originally Posted By: TChunter
Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter

fify

Get out of my head

Son of a.............. grin
Posted By: 300Ruger

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 10:58 AM

I still use my old Army BDU's. If I ever finally wear out any of it (which ain't often) just go to the surplus store and replace. My heavy BDU coat with the removable liner is warmer than anything else I ever used.
Posted By: DustyH34

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 05:15 PM

I've really think the Cabelas Microtex in any camo pattern is a great product. I don't care for the the way the jacket fits all that much, but the pants and shirts are good. You can get them in ScentBlocker, but I think you'll be wasting your money. Just buy a nice camo jacket for the cold days along with some good thermals, hand muff, and something to cover your head and you'll be set.

Almost forgot... good warm boots are a must. I am a fan of Lacrosse Alpha Burly 800 grms.
Posted By: FurFlyin

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 06:39 PM

I personally think an ASAT leafy suit is the best camo out there. It's not made to attract a hunter to buy it, it's made to make you disappear, and it does that very well.
Posted By: deerman24

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 07:37 PM

buy the cheapest that you can find that is comfortable. deer don't care how much it cost and if you are hunting from a shoot house the can't see you anyway. If hunting from a ladder stand buy something that fits the surroundings. Deer normally smell you before they see you anyway.
Posted By: wishbone

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 07/31/14 10:41 PM

Carhart bibs with light leafy jacket for bow, and Carhart insulated bibs with heavy Carhart Coat and leafy jacket when cold. I spray paint my leafy jackets to the cover I hunt.
Posted By: BamaBart

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/01/14 10:46 AM

I never go hunting without my full ghillie suit!
Posted By: CeeHawk37

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/01/14 12:39 PM

Originally Posted By: 300Ruger
I still use my old Army BDU's. If I ever finally wear out any of it (which ain't often) just go to the surplus store and replace. My heavy BDU coat with the removable liner is warmer than anything else I ever used.

This... I do have some Walls camo coveralls for all day or really cold weather sits. Most of the time I wear camo BDU pants and a camo hoodie. I like the BDU pants because they are warm and relatively thick if you have to hit a briar patch. If you hunt from a climber, in my opinion, the more natural cover you have around you the less important it is to look like a bunch of leaves. If you're on the ground camo is a lot more important.. Being still and using your surroundings are the real important factors.. Comfort is number two, because if you get cold, you won't be as still or not be able to sit as long as possible.
Posted By: Yelp softly

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/02/14 12:09 AM

An old turkey hunting guide was once asked what he looked for in a camo pattern. He replied "stillness".

I've found it to be true. Everything else is just marketing.
Posted By: bigcountry692001

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/05/14 11:30 AM

What ever Walmart had and buy some good boots.
Posted By: garyo

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/05/14 11:48 AM

all earth colors soft tones, light ruck sak, buy over sized so you can layer what you wear , then your ready safe hunting.
Posted By: M4J0RT0M

Re: My first deer season, what camo should I get? - 08/06/14 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I've been doing some research into some of y'all's suggestions and how the deer see the world. The more I look into the ASAT the more I like it. I also like the fact that I can just throw the leafy suit on over whatever.

Has anyone here ever bowhunted with one of these suits on?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM