Aldeer.com

Would you shoot?

Posted By: timbercruiser

Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:39 PM

You are hunting with your rifle in a stand and the biggest buck you have ever seen in the wild is walking up to the plot on the far side. Just before he gets clear he turns and steps behind a big oak tree with nothing but his back 1/3rd sticking out broadside, about 75 yards away. It is getting late and the only shot it appears you will have is a high hip. You have cleaned enough deer you know where the hip joint and femoral artery are. Would you take the shot, I probably would. .
Posted By: jsh1904

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:42 PM

I'd shot through the tree with my .223 and hit him in the eye.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:43 PM

But to answer your question in a serious manner, deer or no deer I'm not taking a bullchit shot at anything. I don't find it to be safe.
Posted By: shooters

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:43 PM

Off course I would shoot. But only if I had my trusty 338 Lapua! Another good reason to hunt with a heavy big bore rifle.
Posted By: James

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:46 PM

I most likely would be shooting a stw or warbird so I would have more than enough gun..I would probably take the shot hunting in bama u sometimes only get one chance at that Big buck..

Posted By: quailman

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 06:58 PM

If I had my 45-70, maybe. But probably not.
Posted By: sj22

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 07:00 PM

Sure, I'd shoot, I've accidentally hit em in the hind quarter and killed em, I would rather not take that shot but in this scenario, I think my 300 win mag would knock him down and then I would finish him off.
Posted By: Atoler

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 07:02 PM

Definately, as long as you have enough gun, that shot will drop them just like a high shoulder
Posted By: Clayton

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 07:27 PM

I've been in this situation about 10 years ago. I can see it like it was yesterday, and have had plenty of time to think about it. Hind quarter shots may not be the most humane if you don't hit perfectly but in a lifetime you only get so many chances at good ones. I won't let another really good one pass without shooting.
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 08:20 PM

I'm not taking that shot, regardless of the caliber rifle I have.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 08:25 PM

I had a situation 2 years ago similar to that and I didn't take the shot. I do my best to try and make a good clean shot every time.....you owe the animal that. Now I have made my share of bad shots when I was younger but now I have gotten to the point to where if I don't feel comfortable with the shot I won't take it...especially with a bow.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 08:44 PM

Its not a bad shot if , you blow his spine out with a big bore rifle. People that CAN make a tuff shot will take the shot where people who can should NOT take this shot. I fell it all comes down to shooting skill and rifle size. That is why I compete and shoot 6 to 7 thousand shots a year. Im NOT going to miss , so i feel good taking a shot like this. but if you dont, then dont take the shot! thumbup

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: shooters
Im NOT going to miss

You shouldn't say things like that
Posted By: Claims Rep.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 09:30 PM

I had this situation two years ago. I did not take the shot. No regrets either. And yes, it was a really nice buck. But not my biggest. He's on the wall! grin
Posted By: Remington270

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 09:35 PM

I would not take the shot. I'd get after him another day.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 09:47 PM

I'd take a good arse shot killed one years ago with the same shot but not my 5th choice just the shot I had.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 09:59 PM

Originally Posted By: jsh1904
Im NOT going to miss

You shouldn't say things like that
It doesn't bother me to say that because I practice all the time, that's why I don't miss
Posted By: BOFF

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 10:23 PM

No.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/23/14 11:27 PM

No. I will only take lung or neck shots at distances I'm very comfortable with. Rump shots are what my hillbilly dog hunting neighbors take.
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 12:07 AM

I guess that would depend on how big he is grin

Posted By: James

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002
I guess that would depend on how big he is grin

shocked wth I'd a blowed his legs off and strangled him to death! rofl
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 01:18 AM

several years back i took a shot like that on a nice 8pt . i broke his back then fought him for a couple minutes till i could stab him in the heart . neck ,,, spine ,,, head same difference
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 06:09 AM

About 10 years ago, i shot at a nice buck about 200 yards away. I hit a limb and missed the deer. He ran up a ridge and stopped. At this point he was a lot closer, probably 100 yards. All i could see was his back 1/3. I did not take the shot. This was in mountainous terrain, and i really didn't want him to top that ridge, cause it was a hell hole on the other side. Hard to say what i would do, i'd like to say, i wouldn't take the shot, but i'd have to see the deer. The easiest thing in the world to do, is to say what you would do in a certain situation. Most of the times, we dont know what we would do.
Posted By: slippinlipjr

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:08 AM

No way in hell would I take that shot. I have a grunt call and know how to use it. I had a buck one time walk in behind a huge beech tree right before dark. I didn't see just how big he was till right before he stepped in behind it. I waited for him to step out from behind it for 10 minutes. When I got down I walked over there to where he was. It was like he walked in behind that tree and disappeared. He was a good buck. I think he made a 90 degree turn when he walked in behind it and walked down the banks of the creek.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 10:41 AM

Bottom line is YOU should not take a shot YOU cant make. Even my treestand rifles can hit the same bullets hole at 100 yards. So in a shooting house at 75 yards, with a rifle I can hit a golf ball ever time Why would I not take this shot? If I have a rifle that leaves an exit wound the size of a tennis ball why would I not take the shot?
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 11:45 AM

I didn't take that shot a number of years ago and never saw the buck again. Given the choice again, I don't know what I would do.
Posted By: albowhntr

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 12:10 PM

Nope. Hope the grunt works
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 12:56 PM

I think I was 16 or 17 when I had a similar situation. I was in a tripod looking at a green field and a NICE 9 pt, crossed the road past the field (maybe 200 yards), he walked across before I could get on him and steady, but he stopped right before he completely got in the woods. I watched his hindquarters for a few seconds, then he took a couple more steps and was gone. I do not regret not taking the shot.
Posted By: PaschalBD

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 01:07 PM

Absolutely!!
Posted By: ElkHunter

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 01:08 PM

No
Posted By: blade

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 01:20 PM

No
Posted By: Vulkanman

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 01:35 PM

I had a similar scenario happen two years ago, I didn't shoot. I believe I'll see him again.
Posted By: mrinfo

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 02:05 PM

My first bow kill was a hip shot...not on purpose but it did the trick.
Posted By: augustus_65

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 02:13 PM

No. I've let several good deer walk over the years for not having a good shot. I've taken what I thought were good shots on deer and have them run off never to be found and felt sick over it for months afterwards. I definitely wouldn't take a chance on a marginal shot and run the risk of messing him up.
Posted By: Beadlescomb

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 02:51 PM

Depends if you are a hunter or a killer if you take the shot or not ....
Posted By: dagwood

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 02:57 PM

No, ain't gonna do it.
Posted By: Hogwild

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 03:12 PM

Yes

I would shoot with no second thought.

I know my gun and my shooting ability. The only downside would be, another taxidermy bill!
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 03:57 PM

nope
Posted By: MoonDog

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 04:46 PM

I would have shot him way before he had time to stop behind that oak tree... grin
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 04:52 PM

I had this happen to me. I didn't take the shot and I still regret it.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 06:07 PM

Its not a bad shot if , you blow his spine out with a big bore rifle. People that CAN make a tuff shot will take the shot where people who can should NOT take this shot. I fell it all comes down to shooting skill and rifle size. That is why I compete and shoot 6 to 7 thousand shots a year. Im NOT going to miss , so i feel good taking a shot like this. but if you dont, then dont take the shot! thumbup

Shooting paper is much different than something with hair on it and no bulls eye moving in heavy timber.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: 2Dogs

Shooting paper is much different than something with hair on it and no bulls eye moving in heavy timber.
Its not to me! Because I shoot so much, I honestly believe I can not miss any shot that I choice to take. Winning lots of shooting trophys gives me a supreme and confident additude! I wont apoligize for being the best shot on here! grin Paper or hair I will NOT miss. Thats a bold statement but BOLD men are the ones that take home thropys! Just because YOU cant make this shot doesnt mean you should sit on your golden throne passing judgement on me! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I can make a 75 yard shot out off a shooting house as described, and I am willing to bet on it, just name the amount! thumbup

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 06:57 PM

Its not to me! Because I shoot so much, I honestly believe I can not miss any shot that I choice to take. Winning lots of shooting trophys gives me a supreme and confident additude! I wont apoligize for being the best shot on here! grin Paper or hair I will NOT miss. Thats a bold statement but BOLD men are the ones that take home thropys! Just because YOU cant make this shot doesnt mean you should sit on your golden throne passing judgement on me! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I can make a 75 yard shot out off a shooting house as described, and I am willing to bet on it, just name the amount! thumbup

I sure hope you can make that shot out of a shooting house at 75 yards with a jacked up rifle with a Hubble on top. BTW, I never said I couldn't or wouldn't take the shot. Lots of folks can make that shot. As I remember ,choosing to was the question.
Posted By: PaschalBD

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
Yes

I would shoot with no second thought.

I know my gun and my shooting ability. The only downside would be, another taxidermy bill!

This!!^^^

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:09 PM

Of course I can make the shot with any of my rifles! Some people INSIST on making things harder than they have to be!Just because I shoot paper doent mean I can make the shot on deer. The whole point is confidence. Thats what I said.But you had to throw the whole" Its not a paper target" in their. You maybe the "master monster deer slayer of Jackson County" but never think that just because I shoot big rifles with large scopes that I cant make any shot I chose with my treestand rifles. I quess its really not your fault. Lots of ol timers are stuck in their ways of thinking. eek I choose to make or take this EASY shot because I CAN make it. Confedence is the only thing that matters in shooting. You either able to make the hard shot or you are not. IF you dont have it dont take it.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:19 PM

You can and will miss if you hunt enough, especially in timber. Maybe less than the average Joe , but you will miss. Standing deer out of a shooting house at know distances off bags or punching paper is way different than a buck zig-zaging through timber at a trot. That is the point I was making.
Posted By: Bamabucks14

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:35 PM

No, I will not take an unethical shot. It's my respect towards the animal.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:49 PM

Understood. BUT the OP question and the way he layed out the question, was not a zig-zaging buck. I NEVER shoot at a moving deer. My impression of the OP question WAS standing behind the oak tree? This is a shot I want EVER miss. I dont see the dirence between paper punching and deer shooting, maybe in part of my shooting skills. I DONT wound deer, I dont take moving shots, and I DO NOT think that others in this post should brag about " I want take an unethical shot". Who makes YOU the judge of anything? What gives you the authority to pump you chest out and say" I want take an unethical shot"? I could just as easily say "why is it unethical, becuse you cant make it"? ARE you the judge of all things ethical? I allways get sick of people who Hollow" Thats not ethical". If its legal, why should I let YOU decide for ME what is ethical?

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:56 PM

Understood. BUT the OP question and the way he layed out the question, was not a zig-zaging buck. I NEVER shoot at a moving deer. My impression of the OP question WAS standing behind the oak tree? This is a shot I want EVER miss. I dont see the dirence between paper punching and deer shooting, maybe in part of my shooting skills. I DONT wound deer, I dont take moving shots, and I DO NOT think that others in this post should brag about " I want take an unethical shot". Who makes YOU the judge of anything? What gives you the authority to pump you chest out and say" I want take an unethical shot"? I could just as easily say "why is it unethical, becuse you cant make it"? ARE you the judge of all things ethical? I allways get sick of people who Hollow" Thats not ethical". If its legal, why should I let YOU decide for ME what is ethical?

Are you saying a moving deer is a unethical shot for you and are not confident with it?

Myself, I feel confident on many shots moving through timber, if I didn't I wouldn't kill many. For some reason those old bucks just don't seem to stop in a large opening and strike a pose for me. However, I wouldn't feel confident at 600 yards with my little .308 bush hog and low power scope.
Posted By: Dixie1957

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 07:57 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
I'm not taking that shot, regardless of the caliber rifle I have.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:03 PM

Are you saying a moving deer is a unethical shot for you?
2Dogs, My ethical rant wasnt directed toward you. But,Thats a loaded guestion. Moving close up from a treestand? No. Moving IN thick woods. Yes. Lots of varibles. Walking slowly and walking at a good clip is different as well.What I ment buy I dont take moving shot is= low percentage shots, that have obsticles in the path off the bullet. Behind a oak, 75 yards, standing still is a shot I WANT miss!
Posted By: LoCo

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:43 PM

Yes, I would. It appears the question has been altered into "would you shoot a deer through the back third of the body?" all other conditions be damned. Shooting one through the hind quarters will eff one up.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:49 PM

Funny thing is.......

A lot of people who only take 'Ethical' shots seem to not know where to shoot a deer to anchor it right there. I have trailed a whole of 'Ethical' hunter's gut shot deer that they shot right through the middle with their questionable shooting skills.

'Ethical' means a lot more than how and where a deer is standing when you shoot it.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:51 PM

Waiting for Ethical shots have seemed to work for me and at my age I've got a few gooduns.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:56 PM

IF you are uncomfortable making the shot; then, Yes, it would be unethical.

If not, a spine shot just in front of the ham will drop him right in his tracks and he will be dead in a very short manner.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14
Waiting for Ethical shots have seemed to work for me and at my age I've got a few gooduns.

Keep up the good work, young whippersnapper laugh . Your skills will improve with each shot and what is a marginal shot now will be in your "happy zone" in a few years. Nothing like on the job training.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:00 PM

What makes a shot"in your opinion ethical"? If I can shoot a deer as the OP described with a 750 gr 50 bmg would it be ethical? All I was saying is what one person considers ethical, may not be ethical for another. LOTS of us kill good ones for MANY years, every year. So basicly Ethical is in the eye of the beholder!

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:08 PM

What makes a shot"in your opinion ethical"? If I can shoot a deer as the OP described with a 750 gr 50 bmg would it be ethical? All I was saying is what one person considers ethical, may not be ethical for another. LOTS of us kill good ones for MANY years, every year. So basicly Ethical is in the eye of the beholder!

confused Sorry, you know us old timers.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:15 PM

To be "confident in a shot" to me means you have to had made that shot several times and understand exactly what's behind the deers skin and how they died. I've never shot a deer in the rump and thus uncomfortable with that shot.
Posted By: timbercruiser

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:19 PM

Knowing the anatomy of a deer would be the only question to me. If you hit the femoral artery he will bleed out in a minute, taking out the femur/spine socket will knock him down.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:22 PM

Dont you ol timers, sometimes take a "Texas heart shot" . I hunted with a ol timer in Fosters Alabama that I watched take a "Texas heart shot". He shot an OLD 300 weatherby= probably the second one every made, but it had a NEW Zeiss on it! He said it always worked for him! I admit the deer never moved, just fell over!

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:24 PM

He prolly got a young whippersnapper to clean his deer grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 09:26 PM

Dont you ol timers, sometimes take a "Texas heart shot" . I hunted with a ol timer in Fosters Alabama that I watched take a "Texas heart shot". He shot an OLD 300 weatherby= probably the second one every made, but it had a NEW Zeiss on it! He said it always worked for him! I admit the deer never moved, just fell over!

Well damn, a .300 weatherby up the chute will get it done every time. Everything is bigger and better in Texas BTW. laugh I've killed em with about every "ethical" shot possible.
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/24/14 11:36 PM

I just don't see how anyone can call themselves death on deer that dosen't/won't/can't kill a running deer......
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 05:02 AM

No, I'm far more patient in the deer woods than I once was.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 05:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I just don't see how anyone can call themselves death on deer that dosen't/won't/can't kill a running deer......

......any moving deer......

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:21 AM

......any moving deer......

perzactly.

Kinda like saying I'll hell on doves but I mainly, mostly, damnnearalways shoot em off powerlines...... rofl
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:34 AM

The deer i see, that are good enough to shoot, are almost always trotting or running chasing doe's.
Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:49 AM

This....

And IF FOLKS DIDN'T PUSH DEER that have run off then there would be a lot less lost deer...

If you can hit him...send it

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 09:01 AM

Originally Posted By: blumsden
The deer i see, that are good enough to shoot, are almost always trotting or running chasing doe's.

We must hunt the same sub-subspecies, they also are steady walking for me, like they are on a mission and will not be stopped.

Tip.... if you hunt in timber, better be prepared to shoot moving deer. If you wait for them to stop in a open spot, you won't get many big bucks. If they do stop most of the time it's behind a tree, funny how they always know to do that ain't it?

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 10:56 AM

Welcome to the future ol timers! The newer aga of throphy deer hunter does things differnetly! grin We hunt LOW pressure deer, very carefully with scent contril being number 1! We use things call Nightforce,Zeiss, and Schmidit&Bender. We hunt large opens, cropfeilds, and cutover from up 1400 yards away. Sight is key, I want tocover all the distance I can. I like to look a deer over for= age,size, weight and score above 125 before I DECIDE if I will kill him! I hunt with the lates technology like Vector 4 rangefinder, Zeiss binos, Ozonics, Custom rifles in large calibers, and Nightforce scopes! I sometimes hunt out of treestands with 2.5x10x56 S&B on 300 wsm. The newer generation of hunter, LIKES to identify a big deer then hunt it. I am sorry you OLD FOSSELs dont like my methods of expensive and new technology. I think shooting a a running deer is not what I personally want to do. I lke to be 100% on the targeted aniaml I chose to kill, I have great trigger control. And I will bet any amount you oltimers want I can out shoot you. I will even let you use my gun and pick a yardage. Im sorry I dont hunt like the oltimers shooting at every run deer I see, but thats not what I want to do! Carry on ! thumbup
Posted By: quailman

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:01 AM

Welcome to the future ol timers! The newer aga of throphy deer hunter does things differnetly! grin We hunt LOW pressure deer, very carefully with scent contril being number 1! We use things call Nightforce,Zeiss, and Schmidit&Bender. We hunt large opens, cropfeilds, and cutover from up 1400 yards away. Sight is key, I want tocover all the distance I can. I like to look a deer over for= age,size, weight and score above 125 before I DECIDE if I will kill him! I hunt with the lates technology like Vector 4 rangefinder, Zeiss binos, Ozonics, Custom rifles in large calibers, and Nightforce scopes! I sometimes hunt out of treestands with 2.5x10x56 S&B on 300 wsm. The newer generation of hunter, LIKES to identify a big deer then hunt it. I am sorry you OLD FOSSELs dont like my methods of expensive and new technology. I think shooting a a running deer is not what I personally want to do. I lke to be 100% on the targeted aniaml I chose to kill, I have great trigger control. And I will bet any amount you oltimers want I can out shoot you. I will even let you use my gun and pick a yardage. Im sorry I dont hunt like the oltimers shooting at every run deer I see, but thats not what I want to do! Carry on ! thumbup

I think I'm offended... grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:05 AM

Sorry was aim toward BhamFred! rofl
Posted By: Booger

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:11 AM

I can remember the original bowhunter's bible showing the hind quarter shot as a lethal shot. I believe Chuck Adams was the one that addressed that shot in writing in the book as a good shot to take. You reckon he's killed a few critters.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:13 AM

yer just about to convince me of your way...please post pics of some of yer monsters to push me over the edge.....

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:23 AM

I have said several time on here, I DONT know how to post picture. How bout several people on here that can testifie to the fact that I kill one or two 120 class deer every year! I hunt for age more than rack size. Year before it was 129 in and 143 in deer. I dont take running shots. I DO take long shots thats what I like. You comparing me to someone who illegally shoots doves of a powerline is why I wrote what I did. I can out shoot you any day of the week, but not a moving deer, because I dont shoot that way. Enjoy your Metamucil i got to go to town to get some rifle powder! grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:34 AM

Yep, old timers are so silly. They do stuff like hunt with a beat up old rifle, drive old pick ups, save their $ and buy their own land . So behind the times. slap

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:36 AM

120 class ain't a trophy.....

did I mention I am a multiple gold medal winner in the International Police Olympics offhand rifle competitions...pretty sure you can't outshoot me standing offhand or on moving targets....you know, the REAL test of a rifleman....

post the pics of yer wall full of monsters....
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 12:01 PM

I'm tired and getting even moreso......
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 12:21 PM

That's not necessarily true PawPaw Troy. 120" 5+ year old deer is a trophy in my book any day.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 12:30 PM

did I mention I am a multiple gold medal winner in the International Police Olympics offhand rifle competitions...pretty sure you can't outshoot me standing offhand or on moving targets....you know, the REAL test of a rifleman....

post the pics of yer wall full of monsters....
Never said I was "the monster deer killer you and 2Dogs are" Never said anything about moving target. Admited I dont shoot moving target. And this "Real Test" of a riflemen is YOUR version of marksmen ship. I will admit you can bet me on moving targets. But their is NO WAY YOU can beat me own still targets at ANY range. I am willing to travel and BET ANY amount for 10 to 10000 dollar that you will not out shoot me! Make it easy on yourself. AND i never claimed to have a wall full of monsters. I just love ELR shooting at deer. Enjoy your Geritol and Metamucil, I have got some shells to reload! rofl

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 01:36 PM

Shooters, read the exchange below , I think this may be how we got where we are now. I posted about shooting deer on the move in heavy timber and your first words in your response were , "It's not to me." I guess several of us took it you could and do shoot moving targets, and never miss or expect to miss. Then changed yer story........ my bad.

BTW, I'm not a monster buck killer, just spent a lot of time in the woods at the right place and get lucky sometimes. Deer hunting like many things in life is about location and timing, luck don't hurt either. wink

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 01:51 PM

Shooters is just an arrogant little prick don't pay him any attention he's probably just a 15 year old kid sitting in his moms basement jerking off because he got y'all all worked up.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
Shooters is just an arrogant little prick don't pay him any attention he's probably just a 15 year old kid sitting in his moms basement jerking off because he got y'all all worked up.
Your an a AZZ HAT that is jealous and a probablly jerk off because you WISH you were me! I have all the things YOU wish you could afford to own. That makes YOU a jealous,envious,fudge packing, small minded, azzhat of a person!

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 02:16 PM

You tell em, shooters!!!!
They are just jealous of all those thropys that you won! Heck, I bet they have never even SEEN one!!

grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 02:28 PM

Lots of people are jealous of me! grin But I dont EVER see any off you willing to shoot against me for money?? I dont mind being called arrogant, because I honstly beleive its not arrogancy, but skill set. Last F-class was about 4 or 5 years ago for me! Im thinking about getting back in to traveling and competing come next spring. My 6.5x284 should be done in 2 or the month, I depends on how fast I can get reamer built. I have honestly concidered quitting hunting so i will have more time to practice and compete. May of next year Talladge will have 600 yard range finished, also be told of a September match close to Linden? You would be welcome to come and shoot 1 of my match rifles and see for yourself how I shoot! grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 02:43 PM

I was up there (Linden) the other day.

Not much challenge in punching holes in paper dots.....

Pull that sucker through those thinned pines at 25-30 mph bouncing on a trailer and THEN it will be a challenge, as long as it is 250 yds +.

smile

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Hogwild
I was up there (Linden) the other day.

Not much challenge in punching holes in paper dots.....

Pull that sucker through those thinned pines at 25-30 mph bouncing on a trailer and THEN it will be a challenge, as long as it is 250 yds +.

smile
Thats sounds dangerous AND bad for my fused up back! Im see about shooting a match in september at Reese Bottom?? If I can get new gun built by then. I can bring an extra custom rifle if you want to shoot it! thumbup

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 04:48 PM

I got a couple of buddies that are BIG into long range shooting/competition. It just ain't my cup of tea.

I respect the accuracy of the guns and their abilities.....It just ain't my thing. I shoot the same Remington Model 700 BDL LH .270 now that my Mom bought me for Christmas when I was 15 yrs old. I keep nice glass on it, and had it Parkerized. But, the gun is the same.....and fits me like a glove! It is as natural as pointing my finger at something to shoot and hit where I want to with it.
Posted By: doekiller

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 06:46 PM

Shooter.

Slowly

Won't = will not

Want = desire.

Even in all caps.
Posted By: bill

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 07:19 PM

Shooter, why is it every time you feel slighted, you feel the need to point out how much money you have? Is that the way you think self worth is measured? Is money the only thing , or the most important thing , you value?

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 07:49 PM

I
AM
STILL
WAITING
FOR
JUST
ONE
PIC
OF
A
130/140
BUCK

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:01 PM

Your an a AZZ HAT that is jealous and a probablly jerk off because you WISH you were me! I have all the things YOU wish you could afford to own. That makes YOU a jealous,envious,fudge packing, small minded, azzhat of a person!

I don't know if I've ever been jealous of anyone but if I were to be it's definetly not you. Money and possessions mean nothing to me. I'm not rich but I don't have any wants or desires. Judging by the little I know about you I'm more spiritually and mentally rich than you could ever hope to be.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:02 PM

I
AM
STILL
WAITING
FOR
JUST
ONE
PIC
OF
A
130/140
BUCK
Captain GERITOL, I TOLD YOU I DONT KNOW HOW TO POST PICTURES! I Have pictures of my 143 inch 9pt I killed 2 years ago, Shootnmiss and Nighthunter have seen horns. Also have seen pictures of my 151 . I can drive to Bham or some where and bring them to you if you feel you must inspect them!People who know me also now of the OTHER 140s I had 9 years ago on the walls before my house burned down. I quess I could get you a sworn affidavit from my friends to prove to your ROYALNESS that I have killed some good deer. I know I dont compare to Your ROYALNESS, that can kill a running deer by your Hinesses Icey stare but I do my best! IN short Your Majesty, you can kiss my AZZ!

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:03 PM

yer a funny little boy.....

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:05 PM

I don't know if I've ever been jealous of anyone but if I were to be it's definetly not you. Money and possessions mean nothing to me. I'm not rich but I don't have any wants or desires. Judging by the little I know about you I'm more spiritually and mentally rich than you could ever hope to be.
I glad , I was so worried about it! Now I can sleep with easy! Thank you for your Insite full post! thumbup

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:07 PM

yer a funny little boy.....
Im glad you enjoyed it! Hope you sleep well while over looking you kingdom! Your Royal Majesty of Monster Deer! rofl
Posted By: Cletus

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: bill
Shooter, why is it every time you feel slighted, you feel the need to point out how much money you have? Is that the way you think self worth is measured? Is money the only thing , or the most important thing , you value?

It appears it's because he can't buy manners or respect so he has to make up for what was never taught to him for the short coming.

I got no beef with you shooter, but don't you think that you could possibly learn a lot from some of these guys that you are putting down? Whether shooting, hunting, or whatever else......there's always a lot to learn in the world.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:27 PM

Holy bulls eye Batman! I'm away from here for a few hours and this!

I sure didn't know we were in the presence of Royalness and a super hero! Should Paw Paw Troy be addressed as your Hiness or Captain Geritol? rofl

Icey stare

Shooters, you are a funny boy!

Posted By: hallb

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:43 PM

Shooter, you should use some of that money to get some computer lessons on how to upload pictures.

And you all should see my pecker, it is HUGE, much more huger than all of yours.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 08:45 PM

And when he comes back he'd better have a better attitude.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 09:00 PM

Party Pooper.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 09:15 PM

DANG!!! How did I miss this? Shooters I have invited you to my dove shoot. I sure wish you would come on down and show us how to kill some birds. Then we could all see how RICH you are and meet you in person. I can always learn something..... OR give out a lesson... grin

To the OP. I would take the shot.
Posted By: wishbone

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:34 PM

I have no dog in this but I will say that you got me beat on shooting abilities from what Ive read....but I KNOW I got you beat on GOOD-LOOKS. If your girlfriend or wife saw me or talked to me...you would be jealous. Those that don't know me get jealous when there girlfriends look at me. See I have money and damn good looks. I kill deer with wore out handed down guns that I just prefer to hunt with (sentimental), and am dang good-looking while doing it. " Italian Blood line" with Hayseed personality is a weapon I doubt you have.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/25/14 11:53 PM

I would not take the shot and would hope to see him again with a better shot advantage. Sometimes I win , sometimes the deer win. That's why it is called hunting and not killing.
Posted By: hopper35005

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 12:23 AM

Not wanting to argue but Shooter I will shoot against you open sights, at 300yds. I don't any extravagant trophies like you may have, but I have earned two little medals while fighting for my country that says I will take some of that money if you are willing to part with some of it.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 08:53 AM

Originally Posted By: hallb
Shooter, you should use some of that money to get some computer lessons on how to upload pictures.

And you all should see my pecker, it is HUGE, much more huger than all of yours.

I used to have a big pecker but after all these years I've about wore it down to a nub
Posted By: Brent

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 08:56 AM

I have said several time on here, I DONT know how to post picture.

That's shocking since you are a phucking expert on everything else.
Posted By: scrubbuck

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 11:07 AM

75 yds away, standing still and clear view of the entire ham area of deer. I would be pretty confident he would be going home with me if I were using a scoped rifle.

I would not try it with open sights.
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 11:34 AM

to the best of my memory, i have shot 3 deer in the hindquarters, 1 with a rifle (rushed the shot) and 2 with a bow. know how many of em got to ride in the bed of my truck? all 3 of em. yes i would take the shot.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent

pretty much what I was thinking......truth is he ain't got no pitchers.....
Posted By: MTeague

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 01:22 PM

Is to late to grab some popcorn and join in on the fun laugh

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 02:13 PM

Party Pooper.

Was not me but he did get a time out.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 02:16 PM

Ezactly!
Posted By: tfd1224

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 03:05 PM

guess he doesnt know how to spell either.
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 04:08 PM

How big wure the dear hee kiled?

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/26/14 04:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Party Pooper.

Was not me but he did get a time out.

Ooops my bad.
Posted By: scrape

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/28/14 10:01 PM

why would you take a shot like that. if your gun leaves a hole the size of a tennis ball then it would ruin the hind quaters and leave you with maybe 10 lbs of meat. you might as well shoot a baby fawn if 10lbs of meat is all your looking for.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/28/14 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: scrape
why would you take a shot like that. if your gun leaves a hole the size of a tennis ball then it would ruin the hind quaters and leave you with maybe 10 lbs of meat. you might as well shoot a baby fawn if 10lbs of meat is all your looking for.

buck of a life time ???? i bet i'm one of the biggest meat hunters here but on old big bucks i could not care less about the meat . it's burger away . in this case it's all about BONE .
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 12:17 AM

I wish I could get shooter to come and teach me how to shoot. I miss more in my older years than I used to. I better get me some Geritol. Lol. What a nut.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 09:42 AM

I'm a little confused on "us younger generation of hunters" and then "would be bad for my fused back".....

Scratch that. His spelling is so atrocious, I'm completely and totally unclear as to anything he was actually implying or trying to convey in his attempt at communication
Posted By: desertdog

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 11:34 AM

So what is Shooters status now as an Al Deer member?

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 11:35 AM

In the "Do-Bad chair". I think.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 12:12 PM

Dang, pretty simple to me. How do you know if you can make the shot if you don't shoot? laugh
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 12:17 PM

Dang..I was hoping to see his pics of his Monster bucks and/or his shooting trophys.

Heck..I was going to have him just email them to me so I could post them for all you boys to see!
Posted By: Tru-Talker

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: outdoorobsession
Heck..I was going to have him just email them to me so I could post them for all you boys to see!

He'd just tell ya he don't know how to use email.... smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 12:52 PM

I hope he comes back soon..I prepaid for two bottles of the "shooters super dog repellent" spray!
I knew the demand would be high...so i wanted to make sure I got some of the first batch!
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 01:45 PM

2 years ago. I missed a good one because the shot wasnt right. Had him dead to right, perfect shot, and then scope went black as i was on the trigger, hesitated scope,about 4 seconds later it come back into focus and i was still dead on. I guess i was a little far back on cheek weld. Anyways didnt take the shot. The deer runs off and ends up about 800 yards away at another plot in front of camera and stands there for about ten minutes. When my buddy pulled the card he sent me the pics. Disheartning to say the least. Another old timer at camp told me later when this subject came up. You dont always get what you want, But you gotta take what your given. I'd like to think i would take the shot, but I,m not completely convinced I would.
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 02:12 PM

I shot a nice 8 a few years back just like the said situation. I just held high and spined him in front of hind quarters. He hit the ground and gave me the chance to finish him. So yes, I'd take it.
Posted By: NightHunter

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: shootnmiss
I shot a nice 8 a few years back just like the said situation. I just held high and spined him in front of hind quarters. He hit the ground and gave me the chance to finish him. So yes, I'd take it.

Yeah but that was like the 7th or 8th shot rofl

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 02:43 PM

Unfortunately for the naysayers, he does. He might be an a$$hat to most on here but he has the pics. he says he has. I saw many of the deer personally and some of them came off property I managed/leased. He does like getting a rise out of you folks. He'll call and say look how riled up I got them now laugh

As far as folks killing big deer in AL, I don't know many personally that have killed the caliber of deer he has. I know Troy and 2Dogs have killed some good ones but shooters would probably surprise most on here. He just aint real political and dang sure can't type.
Posted By: I_hate_poachers

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 02:47 PM

Shooters can stir some folks up, thats for sure thumbup

No i would not take the shot, to many variables when you cant shoot straight in the first place grin

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14

Keep up the good work, young whippersnapper laugh . Your skills will improve with each shot and what is a marginal shot now will be in your "happy zone" in a few years. Nothing like on the job training.

thanks 2dogs, and especially when the on the job training is that damn fun!
Posted By: shootnmiss

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/29/14 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: NightHunter

He couldn't see with the light in his eyes and chewing up a mouth full of corn so I kept shooting til I gottem. wink
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/30/14 07:42 AM

He couldn't see with the light in his eyes and chewing up a mouth full of corn so I kept shooting til I gottem. wink

laugh

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 12:40 AM

thumbup

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 08:56 AM

As far as folks killing big deer in AL, I don't know many personally that have killed the caliber of deer he has. .

You should expand your friend group.......

Several sho nuff big deer murderers on here that never post a picture.....

Regardless of what it seems, having everyone think you kill big deer ain't a good thing
Posted By: poorcountrypreacher

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 12:30 PM

Interesting thread! smile

The thing about shots like that is you never know if it really is the best shot you are gonna get. In the case of an unspooked deer walking to a patch, I'd wait. He's probably gonna take another step and give you a better shot.

A better scenario to determine how folks would handle a one-chance-only shot might be if the buck had a pack of dogs behind him and he paused behind that tree. Then you probably do have just one chance, unless you prefer to shoot him running. I once had a chance to shoot one in the hindquarter and while I was holding the gun on him and trying to decide, he took off running. Missed him 3 times. I've always wished that I'd gone ahead and shot, but I didn't expect him to spook like that.

I've only killed one deer with a hindquarter shot, and it was with a bow. She jumped the string and my old Whitetail Hunter wasn't exactly fast. I thought I'd missed until I saw her falling down about 75 yards away. Stone dead when I got to her.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 12:35 PM

Preacher, first deer I killed with a stone point jumped and I shot her dead in the hindquarter. As I was standing there cussing my self, poor shooting, jumpy deer, etc....she stopped, walked in a circle and bedded down. Minutes later she was dead. The femoral artery is a deadly hit, but I certainly wouldn't try it on purpose.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Avengedsevenfold

As far as folks killing big deer in AL, I don't know many personally that have killed the caliber of deer he has. .

You should expand your friend group.......

Several sho nuff big deer murderers on here that never post a picture.....

Regardless of what it seems, having everyone think you kill big deer ain't a good thing

Well you know what they say about friends, if you have 1-2 true friends you are lucky.

I could call him any time day or night, no matter what kind of jam I was in and I could count on him. I hope you have one like that.

To your second point. That is because they hunt where someone might can to their property. Where he is killing those deer, good luck going cause that is a tight knit community and none of them take kindly to outsiders...

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:21 PM

Seems like just yesterday when his cousin got on here and told us about him shooting 2 bucks the same day as he was driving into the property. Time sure does fly.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:26 PM

That is because they hunt where someone might can to their property. Where he is killing those deer, good luck going cause that is a tight knit community and none of them take kindly to outsiders...

Must be hillbillies and banjo music near by.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:35 PM

Paddle faster! I hear banjos at Rock Bridge!

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:45 PM

Seems like just yesterday when his cousin got on here and told us about him shooting 2 bucks the same day as he was driving into the property. Time sure does fly.

I've known him for years and I don't know that one....but we all have a past. Mine isn't spotless and neither is his. I bet yours isn't either.

That's probably also the cousin that tried to get him kicked off of property so he could hunt too. Just sayin. Not everyone gets along with family, I sure don't.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:48 PM

rofl

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 01:54 PM

I've known him for years and I don't know that one....but we all have a past. Mine isn't spotless and neither is his. I bet yours isn't either.

That's probably also the cousin that tried to get him kicked off of property so he could hunt too. Just sayin. Not everyone gets along with family, I sure don't.

Do you wipe his ass for him, too? My past isn't squeaky clean and I assumed by your username that yours isn't. No, his cousin was bragging about how lucky he is and at the time was a member of the club. Don't know if he still is or not.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 02:03 PM

Do you wipe his ass for him, too? My past isn't squeaky clean and I assumed by your username that yours isn't. No, his cousin was bragging about how lucky he is and at the time was a member of the club. Don't know if he still is or not.

Nope but enough of the shat slinging has gone on. He earned a time out and shutup, so the running him down needs to stop.

Now I'm done with it...

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 02:07 PM

Who got a timeout? I wasn't running him down, I was verifying that he doesn't miss.

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 02:10 PM

Who got a timeout? I wasn't running him down, I was verifying that he doesn't miss.

Just to answer your question and not get back in all this crap.

Shooters earned himself a vacation. I think he is back now. There are other ways to verify his shooting wink

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 02:11 PM

Damn. I didn't realize that.
Posted By: ridgestalker

Re: Would you shoot? - 07/31/14 02:46 PM

I'm shooting every time in the situation given. I started a thread just like this one a couple of years ago. If you can hit a 2 liter bottle turned on it's side at whatever the distance then you can drop that buck every time. You just have to remember to shoot high in the pelvic cavity and spine. Straight away is the one that has a very small margin of error,which is basically the base of the tail and I'm not taking that shot.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM