Aldeer.com

Snort/Wheeze

Posted By: Bogey14u

Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 10:41 PM

How many of y'all have heard it here in AL.? Up until last night, I had only heard it 2 times & both times was in Kansas. I sat in a shooting house on the edge of a 1-1.5 ac. field surrounded by woods last night hoping to see some activity. Just about the time that I figured it was dark enough not to be able to see anything(5:5-ish) I started hearing something walking through the woods, stop & grunt, walk some more, stop & grunt. So I figured, time to hangout & see if it comes out in front of me & by some chance be able to see horns of some sort. Just then I heard something run through the woods across the field & out into the field, barely making out a silhouette of a deer. Then it starts grunting... And that's when I heard it; the other buck grunted back & then Snort/Wheezed. Even though It was too dark to make out any antlers or bodies any longer I couldn't help to wonder...Do only mature bucks snort/wheeze or could say a 2yr. old buck run around snort/ wheezing?! My guess is that if that was the case he'd be walking a round toting a big set! grin
Posted By: Johnal3

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 10:58 PM

I watch a young six do it last year. It was either him or the spike. The 6 was the one posturing and all, so I guess it was him. So yeah, immature bucks can do it too. That was the one and only time I've ever heard it. I killed the biggest deer I've killed with that call the first time i used it. I called blind too. I have seen other bucks respond well to it also. Really thought it was just a gimmick.
Posted By: 40Bucks

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 11:06 PM

I've tried that call a few times just prior to and during the rut ,but I've never had any response. I was beginning to think it would only work with a decoy in place.
Posted By: ahix

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 11:18 PM

I saw a spike bristle up and circle a very small 4 pt.yesterday. They looked like they were about to throw down. The spike snort wheezed 2 times, spotted a doe come in the field and took off after her. Pretty cool to watch.
Posted By: MillsIII

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 11:20 PM

A few years ago I stayed in my stand when the full moon rose around 4:00 or something. It was big and bright and I watched the woods come alive around 7:00. Had multiple mature bucks within 30 yards. I heard it then. Along with the big bellowing 'buck roar'. Very cool experience.
Posted By: QuantumXo

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/19/14 11:33 PM

I heard a doe snort wheeze at another doe last year. Doe #1 had a little one in the field feeding with her and they had gotten seperated a little bit. Doe #2 came along and ran the little one off and moma wasn't happy about it and she bristled up like a buck, snort wheezed and ran doe #2 off. Same field a few days later I killed a big 8 point that came running into a field full of does roaring.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 09:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Bogey14u
How many of y'all have heard it here in AL.? Up until last night, I had only heard it 2 times & both times was in Kansas. I sat in a shooting house on the edge of a 1-1.5 ac. field surrounded by woods last night hoping to see some activity. Just about the time that I figured it was dark enough not to be able to see anything(5:5-ish) I started hearing something walking through the woods, stop & grunt, walk some more, stop & grunt. So I figured, time to hangout & see if it comes out in front of me & by some chance be able to see horns of some sort. Just then I heard something run through the woods across the field & out into the field, barely making out a silhouette of a deer. Then it starts grunting... And that's when I heard it; the other buck grunted back & then Snort/Wheezed. Even though It was too dark to make out any antlers or bodies any longer I couldn't help to wonder...Do only mature bucks snort/wheeze or could say a 2yr. old buck run around snort/ wheezing?! My guess is that if that was the case he'd be walking a round toting a big set! grin

Guy that hunts with us watched 3 spikes fight, grunt , and snort wheeze on friday afternoon for about 30 minutes
Posted By: spy

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 09:44 AM

So far never had one do it.
Posted By: jlbuc10

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 10:53 AM

I don't see bucks let alone kill them
Posted By: Bogey14u

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 09:17 PM

Thanks for the response's guys, I really wish I could have seen exactly what they were. I hope to get back there again this weekend & give one a dirt nap!
Posted By: ikillbux

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 09:38 PM

First time I heard it was about 10 years ago in Chilton Co. I was bowhunting and had two fawns on a greenfield, heard a deer running in from a thicket, a nice buck popped out and immediately postured at the two fawns. He snort-wheezed them and they flagged off the field.
A few years after that I watched a small spike chase a doe on Choccolocco WMA...he snort-wheezed at her multiple times, and buck roared multiple times. It's crazy how loud deer are when they roar.
In the past two or three years, I have seen multiple bucks of different sizes on Pelham Range (military base in Calhoun Co) both snort-wheezing and buck roaring. I watched a 4pt stand over a bedded doe this year and snort-wheeze, then paw at the doe to stand up.
Now, the one thing I have heard, but never seen, is two bucks seriously fighting. I've seen them lightly sparring in early season (usually while bowhunting), but never seen two large bucks get it on like they wanted to kill each other.
Posted By: buckbrush

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 10:52 PM

I've never heard a snort/wheeze but have heard them grunt and spar. Would love to personally watch 2 brutes go at it hard.
Posted By: fairwater

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 10:54 PM

Never in Bama, but like he said almost every sit in Kansas.
Posted By: wellis00

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/20/14 10:57 PM

I heard it for the first time tonight. Had a buck circle me, I would grunt, then he would grunt. right before dark he let out a snort/wheeze and I questioned whether it was another hunter or not. I could hear every step he took but he was in a thicket and never showed himself.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/21/14 06:12 AM

Heard it many times by bucks of all ages.
Posted By: permafever

Re: Snort/Wheeze - 01/21/14 10:50 AM

I grunted and snort wheezed about 30 or 40 min before getting my biggest ever this past saturday. Not saying I'm 100% that he came out as a result of the calls, but there's a very good possibility....
© 2024 ALDEER.COM