Aldeer.com

Mid December

Posted By: taggedout

Mid December - 12/11/13 07:36 AM

How does the middle of december in central Al work out for everyone? For years I have had little to no luck until after christmas. Then it just slowly gets better till after the 1st week in january and wide open till the end of season.
Posted By: T-town

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:40 AM

I tell myself every year, that after Thanksgiving, I'm not going again till after Christmas. But with weather like today, it's hard to stay out of the woods.
Posted By: extreme heights hunter

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:40 AM

The December lull. It sucks
Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:48 AM

Oct, Nov, and Dec are all good months for killing good bucks. Oct and Nov is best for me. January is like you flipped a switch. No deer movement at all on our place.
Posted By: fireman176

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:53 AM

I think it depends upon the hunting pressure that you and the surrounding clubs apply to the woods. If overpressured up until then the deer will say screw this and go nocturnal completely, but if no pressure, or very minimal pressure you can probably have a decent experience.
Posted By: forten

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:55 AM

Same as n2tkry on our place.
Posted By: Gotcha1

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 08:29 AM

Also depends on where you are in Central Alabama. Various times of the rut, even 10 miles apart.
Posted By: Turkey_neck

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 08:29 AM

Our rut in chilton county is getting ready to kick off. The last 3 weeks of January are dead for us.
Posted By: hosscat

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 08:45 AM

I have hunted the same place in Pike and Crenshaw county for 20 years. October and November are great, especially if we have some cold weather. After the second week of December you might as well stay at home until the second week on Jan. Very little sightings at all and those you do see are mostly young animals. 10+ years ago a good buck was killed at my house on dec. 27th, but it was during an extremely cold front that lasted several days.

The past 5-6 years have been worse than I remember, just seeing a deer becomes rare. The past 2 years I have stopped hunting entirely during this period and plan to do the same this year.

I would gladly trade the last 2 weeks of Dec and the first 2 of Jan for 10 days in Feb.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 08:51 AM

First two weeks in Dec in Fayette co are about worthless. Ive killed a couple good deer over the years in eatly Dec, but overall sightings are consistently lower than early and late season. About Dec 18 things get better.
Posted By: taggedout

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 10:05 AM

Thanks guys. I am thinking about not hunting this weekend due to slow movement. Trying to decide if my time could be used more wisely by moving a stand or 2 and cutting shooting lanes.
Posted By: jacannon

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 10:10 AM

I am hoping that leaving our place alone for 10 days will help some this year.
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 11:57 AM

Where i hunt, that has a Jan. rut, we call this time of year the "December Doldrums".
Posted By: panopticon

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 12:18 PM

yup, about the same at my place. I have 5 stands on private land. I have hunted 2 of them, once each and that is it. same last year. no outside pressure unless there are poachers. It doesnt matter... I wont see shooters till mid january/or that monday holiday in late january till end of season. been that last 4-5 years and I cant explain it- my place is more like a sanctuary with stands, than a hunting club with a sanctuary. I guess they go nocturnal in preparation for the rut because it aint pressure.
Posted By: Ben2

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Turkey_neck
Our rut in chilton county is getting ready to kick off. The last 3 weeks of January are dead for us.
same for us in north perry county
Posted By: blumsden

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By: panopticon
yup, about the same at my place. I have 5 stands on private land. I have hunted 2 of them, once each and that is it. same last year. no outside pressure unless there are poachers. It doesnt matter... I wont see shooters till mid january/or that monday holiday in late january till end of season. been that last 4-5 years and I cant explain it- my place is more like a sanctuary with stands, than a hunting club with a sanctuary. I guess they go nocturnal in preparation for the rut because it aint pressure.

Mature bucks are nocturnal, and for the most part, except during the rut, will not show themselves until then, and then you have to be in the right stand when he walks by. I would think, it would take a huge land tract with little pressure for probaly 6-8 years before you would see a difference, because just because your not pressuring your land, they feel pressure when they leave it.
Posted By: spy

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 01:16 PM

Originally Posted By: extreme heights hunter
The December lull. It sucks

x2
Posted By: HippieKiller

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: jacannon
I am hoping that leaving our place alone for 10 days will help some this year.

I'm hoping the same. Nobody has been on my place since 11/27, but I did leave my cameras out. I'll pull those cards Saturday when I hunt & am curious to see if their behavior has changed.
Posted By: March15

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: hosscat
I have hunted the same place in Pike and Crenshaw county for 20 years. October and November are great, especially if we have some cold weather. After the second week of December you might as well stay at home until the second week on Jan. Very little sightings at all and those you do see are mostly young animals. 10+ years ago a good buck was killed at my house on dec. 27th, but it was during an extremely cold front that lasted several days.

The past 5-6 years have been worse than I remember, just seeing a deer becomes rare. The past 2 years I have stopped hunting entirely during this period and plan to do the same this year.

I would gladly trade the last 2 weeks of Dec and the first 2 of Jan for 10 days in Feb.

Couldn't agree more. In butler, lowndes, and Crenshaw county. I would give the whole month of Dec. for 10 days in Feb.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Gotcha1
Also depends on where you are in Central Alabama. Various times of the rut, even 10 miles apart.

What he said. Where I used to hunt in Bibb County, December 10-25 was the time to be there.
Posted By: TR

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 03:46 PM

The deer have disappeared from our lease in Winston county the last couple of weeks. No tracks and only a few does seen. There was some chasing going on 2 weeks ago. I know in the past that I have pics of bucks checking scrapes around Christmas And bucks have been killed in January working scrapes. I hope they are simply taking a break for a couple of weeks. December doldrums is what I thought of yesterday.

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 03:50 PM

Always hear people talk about the December lull, but have never seen it first hand.
Posted By: panopticon

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 05:50 PM

Have a 10-and a12 pt. both 5 yrs plus. My babies!

Saw them last 1st dec... Same as last year and year before.... Gotem on cam bt 1 and 3 am... Same 2 stands.

And yes , i use my neighbors hunting pressure against them- may have to shoot some dogs here soon- sum beech wont chain em-
Posted By: huntbig

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 06:23 PM

December lull in full swing in coffee county. Deer sightings will hopefully pick up after Christmas.
Posted By: sethjamtoe

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 07:25 PM

We have next to zero pressure on our place in December and the lull is still there. Does it stop me from going? No.

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: huntbig
December lull in full swing in coffee county. Deer sightings will hopefully pick up after Christmas.

Not where I'm at. I've seen deer in the mornings and evening. Lots of fresh sign. This moon phase, no doubt, is hindering daytime movement.
Posted By: globe

Re: Mid December - 12/11/13 09:02 PM

weve killed some good deer in december over the years. never really seen a lull either.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM