Aldeer.com

Trading deer antlers

Posted By: BOFF

Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 11:18 AM

Curious as I read it is illegal to sell deer antlers in Alabama.

Can one legally trade deer antlers for other items?

Is there a license to enable one to do so?

If an Alabama resident buys a deer antler from another Alabama party, is the buyer at risk for any legal punishment?

How does one purchase deer antlers to use as scales for knives?

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Skinny

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 11:27 AM

just dont talk about such things, the gubberment only goes after things people talk about. wink

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Skinny
just dont talk about such things, the gubberment only goes after things people talk about. wink

Seriously though, ignorance doesn't hold up in law.

Curious as to the reasons hides and hooves may be sold, but not antlers.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Aubcubfan

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 12:07 PM

This is only a guess, but I think it is to discourage poaching. If the price of antlers increase, there will be people willing to do anything to make that money.

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Aubcubfan
This is only a guess, but I think it is to discourage poaching. If the price of antlers increase, there will be people willing to do anything to make that money.

What is there to discourage the hides and hooves, since those may be sold?

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: FastXD

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 03:42 PM

Too much work for the hides and hooves
Posted By: Aubcubfan

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 04:57 PM

Every deer has hooves. Few have nice racks. It's like comparing pennies to silver dollars.
Posted By: spy

Re: Trading deer antlers - 11/30/13 09:29 PM

Didnt know you couldnt sell them. learn some thing new everyday.
Posted By: scrape

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/02/13 08:19 PM

there are people that buy them to make oriental medicine, and also body building, the fresher the higher price paid. velvet preferred. don't support this. it wont do anything good for deer here if the buyers start coming here.
Posted By: casper36092

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 04:29 PM

hey I was in bass pro the other night and they sell antlers at dog treats so you could check there for some knife handle
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 05:04 PM

You get them for free. Shipping is just expensive. wink
Posted By: truedouble

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 05:16 PM

cabela's sells rattling horns that are actual real deer antlers. Bout $90 a pair if I remember correctly.
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: truedouble
cabela's sells rattling horns that are actual real deer antlers. Bout $90 a pair if I remember correctly.

damn i used to sell them for 15 back in the 70's .
Posted By: 49er

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BOFF
Curious as I read it is illegal to sell deer antlers in Alabama.

Can one legally trade deer antlers for other items?

Is there a license to enable one to do so?

If an Alabama resident buys a deer antler from another Alabama party, is the buyer at risk for any legal punishment?

How does one purchase deer antlers to use as scales for knives?

God Bless,
David B.

Quote:
Section 9-11-237
Sale and purchase of game birds and animals including the meat or other product thereof.

Any person, firm, or corporation who sells, offers, or exposes for sale, buys, purchases, barters, or exchanges anything of value for any game bird or game animal or any part thereof at any time shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $250.00 nor more than $500.00 for each offense. Duly licensed catchers of fur-bearing animals may sell to regularly licensed buyers or dealers only the furs, skins, or pelts of fur-bearing animals which they lawfully take, capture, or kill. The licensed catcher of fur-bearing animals may sell or offer for sale for food the dressed carcass of edible fur-bearing animals named by law or regulations. However, notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, it shall not be a violation of this section to sell, offer, or expose for sale, buy, purchase, barter, or exchange anything of value for any of the following: (1) Lawfully taken "green" or raw untanned deer hides and their hooves, squirrels' skins, hides, and tails; (2) Finished product items such as gloves, shoes, clothing, jewelry, tanned deer hides, and similar products; and (3) Labeled, pre-packaged venison, other than white-tailed deer, which has been inspected by a state or federal meat inspection agency and which meets all requirements of this state. The venison shall be maintained in original labeled containers with receipts until prepared for consumption. The records, facilities, and venison shall be available during normal business hours for inspection by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources.

(Acts 1935, No. 383, p. 813, §7; Code 1940, T. 8, §88; Acts 1979, No. 79-793, p. 1450, §1; Acts 1989, No. 89-941, p. 1849, §1; Acts 1995, No. 95-579, p. 1217, §1.)

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/04/13 10:04 PM

So, according to my interpretation, I can make knife scales out of the antlers from the deer I harvest(ed) and sell them.

God Bless,
David B.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Trading deer antlers - 12/05/13 06:46 AM

Are you looking to buy some or have some you are looking to get rid of. To make a set of knife scales take a pretty large diameter set of antlers. Most scales come from Sambar stag, elk or moose for that reason. A hidden tang knife is a different story.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM