Aldeer.com

Missouri Public Land

Posted By: Bamahunter308

Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 06:33 AM

Group of us looking to make a trip going to hunt public land any suggestions.
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 07:03 AM

yea invite me! laugh laugh na got some buddy's that hunt it. Big deer up that away. It's 750 miles from Randolph County to Sedalia Missouri. My wife goes every year in June.
Posted By: Clem

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 09:00 AM

Your wife hunts up there in June? Kinda risky at that time, isn't it? grin
Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 12:48 PM

Property I use to live on bordered public land, mineral lick pics from the back yard.

Posted By: N2TRKYS

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002
Property I use to live on bordered public land, mineral lick pics from the back yard.

Would you PM me where that public land is located?
Posted By: Bowhunter84

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 01:20 PM

Originally Posted By: N2TRKYS
Originally Posted By: swamp_fever2002

Would you PM me where that public land is located?

X2 grin
Posted By: daniel white

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Clem
Your wife hunts up there in June? Kinda risky at that time, isn't it? grin

Ha! Yea she is a outlaw! smile Na, she goes to the Midwest Stud Ram Classic sheep sale every year.
Posted By: spy

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 06:09 PM

All i can say is why did you move! Sweet place would have had to drag me away from that sweet looking spot!

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 07:08 PM

spy I moved 14 miles away to my current job where I live, 120 acres.

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 08:09 PM

What's the best wma in missouri ? Whitetail or mule deer don't care
Posted By: BatesConst

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 08:28 PM

I made a little trip up a couple years back. Went through St. Louis over to Hannibel, run 36 our to Shebina. We hunted Hunneywell and arrowood and another up toward Kirksville. Had a great time, personally didn't take one, Saw s few nice ones. Missouri has several small tracts. Like from 10 acres and up, but they have probably a hundred areas like that. Stop in visitor center and pick up map.Good luck.
Posted By: PRB

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/24/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: recon308
What's the best wma in missouri ? Whitetail or mule deer don't care

Missouri doesn't have any free range mule deer.

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/25/13 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: recon308
What's the best wma in missouri ?

For trophy hunters, the northern and central parts of Missouri offer the best opportunities. This is because these areas have large amounts of corn, soybeans, and other deer feeding crops. The deer grow large quickly with all this forage. Also, the deer numbers are at their highest in this part of the state. The only drawback is the lack of large tracts of public land. There is public land to hunt on, and good deer can be taken on these areas, but they tend to be somewhat crowded. Still, this part of the state offers the most abundant opportunities. Union Ridge Conservation area, Sugar Creek Conservation, and the Corp of Engineer land around Truman Lake are among the best public hunting areas in this region.

On the other end of the scale lies the rugged Ozark region. This is a vast, forested, mountainous area. The primary food source here are acorns and other mast. While these food sources sustain a very respectable deer population, the area just isn't as fertile as the northern and central regions of our state. Deer don't grow as large, and there aren't as many of them. Hunting is a big-woods game. Deer move around a lot, and so does a successful hunter. Also, while crops are a rarity in the region, any planted fields will draw good numbers of deer, especially in a poor acorn year. There are two great advantages to this region. First is the beautiful scenery. Second is the massive tracts of public land in the area. It is relatively easy to find a secluded place to hunt. Good public hunting areas include the vast Mark Twain National Forest, the Ozark National Scenic River-ways, and Sunklands Conservation area. A good set of legs and a sharp eye for habitat are the most important attributes of a successful Ozark deer hunter.

Missouri has at least 97 bow-only areas for deer that total more than 103,000 acres. Some tracts cover less than 100 acres, but others offer thousands of acres of bowhunting opportunities, such as the 13,732-acre Four Rivers Conservation Area, the 8,633-acre Schell-Osage Conservation Area, the 4,089-acre Drury-Mincy Conservation Area and the 7,044-acre Reform Conservation Area. Many of these tracts produce huge bucks.

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/25/13 10:53 AM

Thanks for the info
Posted By: Farmer Brown

Re: Missouri Public Land - 09/26/13 10:22 PM

Lots of Army Corp of Engineers land around Poplar Bluff.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM