Aldeer.com

Shooting houses in the woods.

Posted By: JW

Shooting houses in the woods. - 12/18/10 06:11 PM

I have a pretty good spot that is a huge cedar thicket that deer are all the time using. They cut some of it a couple years ago and now there isn't a good tree to climb in there. I have been wondering if I could build me a 4'x4' box blind and put it about head high to be able to see all through the thicket instead of just a small part of it from my stand now? I figure if I put it up after this season, it will give them time to get used to it.
Posted By: Peanut Man

Re: Shooting houses in the woods. - 12/18/10 07:29 PM

I have built several small ones in the woods and it does not take the deer long to get used to them. I have a metal ladder stand that i move around and when i find a real good spot that i am seeing a lot of deer i have built a small shooting house there. I have made the floor about 5 feet off the ground on most of them. This year i came back and even planted some winter grazing around them.
Posted By: JW

Re: Shooting houses in the woods. - 12/18/10 07:42 PM

Sounds like a plan then. That is about what I want to do with the ones I want to build about 5 or 6 feet high. I just got to figure out how to anchor them in that rocky ground and I will be set.
Posted By: bloodtrail

Re: Shooting houses in the woods. - 12/18/10 08:06 PM

I put a 6x6x16 in the ground 25" deep and put a ladder on it a few weeks ago. I put 3 cross braces around the sides and back. It's rock solid and cost 19.99 for the 6x6.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM